SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Slot.It Porsche 956 and after buying two Audi's and numerous spare parts (and driving someone else's 956) I was egerly awaiting more quality products.

I got home took the lid off and began tuning the chassis. I put a boxer mount in it as I love driving with the longer motor and I know it goes well around our track. I also put the bigger slot.it hubs on the back and trued all the tyres. I also put some nice, new, thin braid in the guide, glued everything up and began to look at the body.

At first I just noticed that there were two big cracks going all the way up the windscreen. Cracks which were right the way through the screen leving two little white lines up the 'screen. Not impressed at all. I thought I'd come on here today and ask if anyone had a spare shell or knew where to get a spare 'screen from. Still quite pissed off, I decided to screw it all up again. Wait a sec, the body doesn't fit the chassis! For some reason, the side panels are at just a little bit of an angle and therefore the chassis doesn't just drop in. Closer inspection shows that the front post is at a very slight angle, the otherway! Noooo.... My faith in slot.it shaken. I have a look to see if it is rectifiable and it doens't seem to be. It looks like the whole body is cast wrong, or has been removed from the mould before it's cooled. Whilst looking round more, I saw that the little exhausts which poke out of the side of the body were fitted all wonky on one side. So I took them out and glued them back in the correct place.

I'm seriously not pleased with this, as I love slot.it stuff and swear by it when preparing any kind of 'unlimited' car. I always assumed that Slot.It was free from the kind of 'ou-of-the-factory defects' that you find in other cars.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what to do. I picked up the car on my travels so going back, just to return the car is out of the question. What's the new slot.it importer like in the UK? If he's anything like Aaron at Gaugemaster then I'm sorted. Otherwise, I guess I will have to put up with it and think more carefully about buying cars from slot.it again.

Hope this doesn't sound like 'Slot.It bashing', because I really like their spare parts and guess I will still buy them. I'm also sure that this is a very rare occurence from Slot.It, but it's made me doubt them, so I thought you guys should know.

Lotus

PS. One last call, anyone got a spare body, windscreen or idea of what I should do?

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
It's not bashing chappie. It's blowing off steam having discovered you've been sold a pup.

You got a dodgy one, I've not heard of iffy Slot Its before but you got yourself one there alright.

The fact is all manufacturers are capable of letting a rogue one out the door everynow and then.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Oh, blimey. I dunno.

If you've glued and trued, I'd say you were screwed!

Probably your best bet is a mail to this new importer - who he then?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's a bit of an arse isn't it.

Will remember to carry out a complete check before tuning any new cars in future.

I was wondering if they might be able to just swap the body over or something...

Lotus

·
Registered
420 Posts
it seems to be a straight forward manufacturing error. Have you tried to email the UK distributor or the mother company and ask for advice about what you could do about the problem? There might be a simple solution.

Carrera for example offered a no bull**** return policy on their anniversary porsche because some of them had problems with their axles. The customer could choose between changing the axle themselves or send in the car. So there are sometimes moments when things can get sorted relatively easy - and you cannot know which they are before you ask...

good luck!

//peter

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Two suggestions for your dilema.

Slot.It are members of this forum, search for their details and contact them, listing the defects you have and where you bought it. See what the reply is.

Second. contact the place you got it from, if they are any good they will discuss it with you, by email or phone there should be no need to travel back there.

I wouldn't get too down though, you are most assuredly in a tiny minority of customers who got a bad car from Slit.It, I am sure you will find a good solution in the end.

If it hasn't been answered by tomorrow afternoon, I will get you the contact details for the new Slot.It Distributor in the UK and post them when I get back tomorrow afternoon.

Also you mention you fitted larger wheels at the rear, are you sure they fit under the body and are not distorting the chassis?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, wheels fit fine. Ans I have seen loads with these larger wheels on them.

It's just like the body it a couple of degrees out. When the posts meet up with the holes in the chassis, the body stops the chassis sitting flat. It's a real shame.

Cheers for the help Swiss and Peter, I have contacted Slot.It and hopefully they will reply soon.

Lotus

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Most unfortunate, Lotus03 and most unusual, but sadly these things do happen from time to time. Fortunately, Slot.it do not have recurring quality control issues.

It certainly does sound as if the body has been distorted. Given that the windscreen is cracked too, it was most likely damaged during packing. I'm assuming that the plastic box that it came in is in perfect condition. Perhaps it was screwed to it's base by an overly heavy-handed Chinaman!

I'm sure that you are right about if Gaugemaster were the distributor, it would be sorted in a flash. You've certainly sung the praises of Aaron innumerable times, there's no doubt that you are his number one fan, that's for sure!

I thought that Monarch Lines were the distributor in the UK. Is this no longer the case?

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, they switched to someone up north becuase Monach Lines were being silly and screwing everything up. Our local dealer had to wait months for his bits to arrive and even then his order was incomplete.

I have emailed Maurizio so I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Cheers for the ideas,

Lotus

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
iv had similar probs with car, i found the chassis was bent, it seemed to have been scewed down to the base of the packaging too tightly and the chassis had taken on a set, i warmed it a little and reset it but it has never been a1. i tryed to get an answer through collette through mark gussin but nothing has come back. i think this was a forum post 2 or 3 months ago?. mac p

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Slot.it switched distribution to ABGee as of April. Up to press they have not had any Porsche 956's available. Therefore, I would suggest that if you have no joy speaking to Collette who would have origionally supplied the car to the trade a quick email to Maurizio may solve the problem.
From a dealers point of view it would be of great help if any quality issues were addressed before cars were modified or raced. If a car is still boxed and unused it is far easier for all parties concerned to obtain a replacement/refund for faulty goods such as you have described.
Sean

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Sorry about your car , Lotus.

A really good point about inspecting before doing anything else - I have occasionally had this problem myself, although not recently and absolutely never from one dealer.

This particular dealer (DO look up!), before depatch, removes cars from their cases, bubble wraps the cars and returns them to their cases before bubble wrapping and boxing and sturdily wrapping the cases.

I've never received a damaged one from him yet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting that overtightening to the case base was mentioned. My Slot-it Porsche is held down with a plastic "T" key into the bottom of the car, it cannot be overtightened. Are they using a bolt on the cars over there?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Sean wrote:-

"Therefore, I would suggest that if you have no joy speaking to Collette who would have origionally supplied the car to the trade a quick email to Maurizio may solve the problem."

I believe that Lotus03 got a reply from Maurizio personally the day before yesterday (the same day that he wrote to Slot.it?), saying that Slot.it would replace the body. I understand that Lotus03 is happy with this arrangement. He perhaps just forgot to mention it.

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.