Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I will say the Slot.it product is excellent. Before last week i would have said they make the best RTR cars on the market.

However recently i have had a replacement V12/2b 25k die on me running in. The comm broke up @ 7.2v.

Since the 956 was introduced the mesh on the new pinions & crownwheels seem to have got worse. The 956 (blue) cw/p & pinion mesh was horrible. This was traced to the pinion. A pinion on a new motor was visibly not staight and oscilated. i also have known the pinion to mesh noisely but turning it around it is much quieter.

I have the Sauber Merc & 390 right at the top of my "must have" list but are Slot.it turning their attention away from what they do extremely well - running gear.

there has been absolutely no problem in returning any of the product.

Has anyone else had these problems? Is it to do with a move in production base?

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I have had similar problems ,recently I missed a place in the A final at prestons porsche challenge due to both pinion failure and a 29 v12 throwing a wire , one of our juniors also had the same motor problem , I felt at the time these were isolated cases but I have emailed slot it to let them know as there products are generally first rate and I have suffered no problems in the past ,but as yet I havent recieved a reply , I think though youve got to accept that products do fail some times when used in intense competition .

G

·
QUOTE Since the 956 was introduced the mesh on the new pinions & crownwheels seem to have got worse. The 956 (blue) cw/p & pinion mesh was horrible. This was traced to the pinion. A pinion on a new motor was visibly not staight and oscilated. i also have known the pinion to mesh noisely but turning it around it is much quieter.

The same for me, the Cannon car had the same noisely pinion mesh, but I relaced the pinion and that solved it.

I have had two v12s die on me, one last week, failure throwing a wire and the other just went slow and stopped R.I.P.!
"thought it would be a good idea to clean it out with lighter fuel" so my mate tried this...... flame out in the pits 'Mr Croker'
end result a hot chassis and one dead v12

Slot.it stuff is excellent, cars are very good out of the box and the parts are/were very good.

As Mr Croker said "it to do with a move in production base"?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sad to say I had the motor go on one of my new porsche cars too.... And for the first time I found the chassis warped :-(

But I still think they are the best thing going as far as quality for the price.

Chris

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Not had any motor, pinion or other failures, but both my Porsche chassis are warped and have been replaced with scratchbuilds. Audi chassis seems fine, (a little thicker perhaps?).

Components Great, Chassis poor.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
392 Posts
Also my new Porsche 956 Canon was extremely noisy out of the box; after replacing all the running gear I found that the pinion was the culprit : this is the first Slot it part I ever found defective; after all also Mercedes and VW seems to have little quality problems; surely Maurizio will solve this; his products are among the best.
Ciao

·
Registered
38 Posts
In our club, we had an entire shipment of 9z´s pinions that were defective. the ones we got in return were of the usual quality.
About motors giving up, i really dont know and havent had a problem with v12s or boxers, but i also havent bought any recently so they´re all like 6 months to 1 year old.

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the motor has already died let's by fair - a wind gone

At least I blew it out before i burnt my fingers & wrapped the chassis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always wondered why my 956 sounded like a dog from new
and has metal filings coming off!! I have def got a dodgy pinion and after all these comments realise the problem - It sounds awful as well. As this was my first Slot IT car it actually put me off buying anymore

Mark

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mark

Don't be put off any Slot.it stuff!!

I put this thread up bescause I have never had a problem until the 956 arrived. As most of the slot.it stuff gets used for racing it has a hard life. I have one of the first batch of Audi's to hit these shores and it is still running very well.

A couple of pinions will 2 quid. What ever has happened to the pinion I can not see it causing metal filings as it runs onto the plastic crown wheel. Have you oiled the location slot in the crown wheel where the motor runs in? This is most likely the cause of the filings as the shaft is steel and crownwheel is ally. This will need a new crownwheel - you must keep up the maintain. The bronze version will last longer but it is heavier.

You have one of the best cars on the market.

·
Registered
38 Posts
what croker said: even a single slot.it pinion its worth 10 scx or scalex pinions. You can have some problems with Slot.it stuff (my audi has a bushing that is not locked and makes one hell of a noise comparing to the other audis at my club), but it still runs better than any comparable car from other brands. My 956 runs perfectly and the HRS chassis its the ultimate joy to ride on a sidewinder position. Even with some defects in the past, i would rather buy a slot.it pinnion than any other brand (i´m talking euro plastic cars, dunno if american scale racers would favor some other brand).

·
Registered
339 Posts
"(i´m talking euro plastic cars, dunno if american scale racers would favor some other brand)."

I'll wouldn't, I prefer the Slot-it stuff myself.

SCALEXIR, take a look at your crown gear. Take special note to the part of it which the motor shaft rides in. That is probably where your metal shavings are coming from. You might have a crown gear with an aluminum hub. This type of gear requires regular lubrication.

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
A new Step 3 Audi was delivered this morning.

And to say it is warpped is an understatment. Not just by a 1mm but about 3 at the front and 5 or 6 at the back.

Needless to say it is on its way back to the shop.

What is going on? There is no way that was checked before it left the factory.

I won't put up any embrassing pictures up but PLEASE get a grip on the quality.

·
Vendor
2,912 Posts
Hi Folks.

Ouch. Please find the Slot.it answer below, from the horse's mouth:

Foreword: if you experience any problems with your Slot.it parts
a - we appreciate your feedback, because it helps us discover problems that could otherwise go unnoticed, and dicover them quickly
b - if you have any problems getting a replacement from you supplier, contact us.

1: comments on the bad pinions for the P956: this is a known issue, caused by an awful batch of pinions, that we choose for the manufacturing of cars in China. Sometimes (grin) the samples are different from the production you get. Anyway, the problem has been solved by using solely, now and in the future, our own pinions. It is a shame, but it happened.

2: there was another known issue in the first P956 production batch: we specified a wrong hardness for the shaft, that could as a consequence lock frozen solid in the bushings. The solution is simple: lube the bushings and the axles well before using. Since nobody reported the problem here, I guess you all lube the bushing and the crown well before using. This has been fixed as well.

3: a year ago we encountered a problem on our own pinions, as a batch had a hole outside specs. The simptom is: the pinion will slip on the axle. This has been fixed as well and there should not be many pinions of this type left in the market.

4: warped chassis in the 956: so far we have not had many complaints but I will report this straight away.

5: Warped chassis Audi Step3: since this chassis has come straight out from Italy, I tend to think it left our premises straight, so probably it was warped during shipment - but this is not the point - you bought a warped chassis and you have every right to have it straight.

6: motors dying: thanks for letting us know. It is true that racing motors are subject to stress but from what I understand the problems are of 'infant mortality', i.e. the motors giving up very soon. This is a production problem rather than a design problem so we hopefully will be able to check things out. Luckily, mortality in our tests (and in the many races we hand out the motors to) is quite low.

Please do not hesitate to contact us - customer complains get the highest priority in my email duties... but I was away for 1 whole month!

Best regards

Maurizio Ferrari

·
Registered
38 Posts
one of the things i like about this hobby its the way how manufacturers are connected to the community. Maurizio isnt the only example, since many retailers and manufacturers post regularly on this and other foruns and lists.

a big thumbs up for their attention, and thank you for your good products

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Ah, the power of Slotforum and the concern of enlightened manufacturers!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Please, let me indulge for once in a bit of chauvinism : compare this to SCX's "after all, it's just a toy" attitude - and Sr. Barrios must be one of the most detested men in Spain !

(I suppose Nep won't be talking to me any more .....
)

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
thanks for the info Maurizio, on the positive side My 2 yr old v12 29 which has done 2 enduros and a full proxy series won by 15 laps last night at Slot -Tech

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have been using mostly Slot-it tuning parts with no problems to report. I am very impressed with Slot-it and with yourself, Maurizio. Thank you for your candor and efforts on behalf of your customers everywhere.
A little communication in the right direction can do a world of good. Thanks for listening/participating on the Forum.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts