Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last week a new contestant arrived at my doorstep. A brand new Slot.It Sica12r2 Audi R8C Racing Raw Evo-6. I have the Audi R8C cars before, and I was very curious about the Evo-6 AW setup and the new Evo-6 motormount. After unpacking, I was a bit surprised tho.

First of all, the wing had gotten loose. Probably in the shipping... oh well, a bit of work on the body is expected at some time i guess.

But then I opened the car up and got even more surprised. The engine block was not screwed on with 6-screws, but with 4. Two screws where missing.

I also realized that there was no magnet with the car. True, I usually remove the magnet anyway and run my Slot.It´s magless for more fun, but I´m still used to the magnets being there on delivery.

Just out of curiosity, since it´s my first RAW package from Slot.it. Is this how they are usually delivered, or did the china (wo)man who assembled my car miss a few pieces?

Still damn happy with the car. After putting a few screws on the motor mount, fixing up the tires and regluing the wing, it runs like a demon. Thanx Slot.It for more hours of fun.

// Micke

·
Vendor
2,912 Posts
Hi.
This is how they are supposed to come - wind apart
. And the RAW cars are not assembled in China, so the Chinese factory is not to blame, in case!

Regards
Maurizio

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
From the master hisself!!!.
Am suprised he didnt tell you that the mount normally only uses the four screws and not all six
Reggards
Zen

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This community is indeed amazing. Thank you Maurizio!

And Zen! Tell me more, now I need to know all the tricks and tips about setting up the Evo-6 mount. I´m only supposed to use 4 screws?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Running it with 6 screws in the motor pod is actually a handicap.

The "EVO-6" pods are designed to give the option of running 4 screws in the conventional front/aft positions, or ditching usually the front position screw mounts for the new side screw positions.

You will need to do some playing with screw tension - between 3/4 of a turn off of "tight" to 2 turns off of tight (any more than 2 turns backed off and they are likely to come out!) and also try the front and side positions across the rnge of screw tightening, to see what handles best on your track.
- Once I have settled on a screw setting, I oftenn use a spot of nail polish on the thread end to lock the screws so they don't move.

The lack of manget is simply a cost management decision because the market for RAW cars is firmly pointed at the non-magnet track hobbyist who tunes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx slotcrazy! I can hardly wait now to give this a try and see how the car handles.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
run body screws tight,
two front screws on motor mount run 1/2 turn from tight more than rear two screws so if rear screws are one turn from tight then front screws 1/2 turn more this should allow body to run flat through corners and the motor mount to give enough rock for the chassis to remain stable through all manouvers
Regards
Zen

G

·
QUOTE (slotcrazy @ 2 Jan 2012, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I often use a spot of nail polish on the thread end to lock the screws so they don't move.

The lack of manget is simply a cost management decision because the market for RAW cars is firmly pointed at the non-magnet track hobbyist who tunes.
Try nail varnish

I doubt a magnet costs more than a few pence and bearing in mind the low production runs i seriously doubt that an afull amount is saved. I could be wrong though.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
QUOTE (slotcrazy @ 2 Jan 2012, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Running it with 6 screws in the motor pod is actually a handicap.

Love it when people dont know what they are talking about give their brilliant advice

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (Flange @ 3 Jan 2012, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love it when people dont know what they are talking about give their brilliant advice

Love it when people dish out criticism without any real justification i.e. Not explaining why he doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
Running it with 6 screws is not a handy cap , on certain tracks with certain motors , you do not want the motor mount to tip , having these two extra screws means that you can keep the motor mount moving but not tipping side to side .

Evo 6 is a great design. And plus you can put the screws in the sides when using suspension , this will mean that you can have the suspension to absorb the bumps yet you do not have to have wheels going way up into the arches (yes I know you can lessen the amount of travel in suspension but this does a more effective job of stabilising the pod)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a Slot.IT Evo 6 guide in the tuning part of this forum? Sounds like there is lots more fun to be learned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts