SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remember some videos on youtube of a pop-surf group with songs about slot racing in Youtube? They were from the 60's
Anyone remembers them?

Thanks, Ignacio

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi
The group are called the revells and i think that the LP was called "sounds of slot "
There is already a thread on this somewhere on SF try searching for it
The songs were very much west coast surf inspired /beach boys /jan and dean types
I think the real name of the group was the hondelles or some such, but apparently did include on some of the tracks no less than the legendary glenn campbell who was a session man and part time beach boy at the time
My suspicion is that this was actually sponsored by Revell and probably was played in the shopping malls while they set up portable tracks to generate some sales.
Any one from the states got an opinion on that ?

Cheers tony

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Yep, the surf music group was called The Revells, and they put out a single record, which has been reissued on CD. I'm not aware of any video clip of this, that would have been on YouTube, but it's always possible.

It wasn't a real group, just a bunch of studio musicians who got together (probably sponsored by Revell, directly or indirectly, as you say Tony), to cut this record and capitalize on the fad.

I have seen a clip on YouTube of another 60s group doing one of their hits in a raceway, but havne't been able to find that again...

Like tony says, if you do a search on here for slots in TV and film, you should find the references.

Don

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Lordy, Lordy me a lot of this stuff sounds very much like a copy of the arrangment of Surf City which was released by Jan & Dean they made quite a few records in the surfing period which i beleive was 1962 to 1964'ish there were a number of artists who had this sort of sound the only record i have from this period with the surfing sound is Water Skiing from Duane Eddy somewhere in the garage i better find it, it could be worth a new slot car, even though i was into music and racing never heard these songs before a bemused Keith.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here is the cover of the CD version, with those bonus tracks - note the "parental advisory" sticker. Must be the promise of "the language of slot racing" I suppose!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in owning this gem, the "last copy in stock" (yeah, right) is available for just £26.99 from http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=556881

Seems it isn't just old slot cars that fetch silly prices!

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Guys
I really cant get my head round "parental guidance " for that record ,which i,ve listened to may times ,unless there are somedouble entendres that have gone past my innocent mind

Cheers tony

·
Registered
228 Posts
The album was indeed sponsored by Revell to promote their slot cars. The songs were written by Gary Usher. He also co-wrote many of the surf and hot rod songs sung by the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Challengers, etc....

There was another slot car record made. It was by the Phantom Surfers and sponsored by Hobby Hut Raceways. They must have been a very successful shop!

The records make GREAT wall art:

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes indeedy - here is the cover of The Phantom Surfers' paean to our hobby:

Featuring:
  • Everybody Up
  • Death of a Rookie
  • Schlock Slot
  • Slotter on 10th Avenue
  • Crossover Tragedy
  • Rheostat Rock
  • Pacific Shores
  • A Slot Car Named Desire
  • Turn Marshal
  • Stumps of Mystery
  • Endurance Rally
  • Final Lap
"Sit back and let the Surfers clue you in on the lingo, swoosh of the cars as they scream along the track and the musical equivalent of holding that hot little controller in your hand. The cover shot is a perfect depiction of the thrills. chills and even spills that happen out there in the real slot racing world. A heady mix of euphoria and depression."

And here are a few samples to whet your appetite:

Schlock Slot

Rheostat Rock

Slotter on Tenth Avenue

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I think I'll download Rheostat Rock to my i-player to psych myself up at the BSCRA National Team Championship! On the other hand, we don't want to tempt fate given the controller problems we've had...

Richard
Luton SCC

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
I'm not surprised that they are wearing masks - I'd be very embarrassed too.
In fact, I'm even embarrassed that I looked.

·
Registered
658 Posts
QUOTE (PETER GUNN @ 8 Aug 2012, 03:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lordy, Lordy me a lot of this stuff sounds very much like a copy of the arrangment of Surf City which was released by Jan & Dean...
That's because the arrangements and playing were done by the same group of session musicians known as the Wrecking Crew.

cheers,
Bob S

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've discovered three more musical pearls inspired by slot racing:

Scott & The Pleztones' "Now You Know What It Feels Like", which includes the track Slot Car Racer

John Whiteleather & The King Rats included Slot Car Party on the album "Used Parts" (a must for Nick Thrower surely?)

Finally, I give you Meet The Dune Buggies' album "Slot Car Summer" featuring a track titled Slot Car Show as well as: Sevsi, Chopped, Trophy, I'm Ready To Race,
Hairpin Bends, Hobby, Body Flag, Hit Of The 5, On Your Mark, Summer Toys and Minsi
, some, all or none of which could be relevant.

All these musical masterpieces are available to download from Amazon - or if you have Spotify you can listen to them for free!

·
Registered
188 Posts
QUOTE (dgersh @ 15 Oct 2012, 13:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks David, excellent detective work!

What are the dates on these three albums?

Don
Used Parts is the oldest of the three going waaay back to 1998

Meet The Dune Buggies (which is the album title - the band is Slot Car Summer - apologies) is 2011

Now You Know What It Feels Like is disturbingly current at 2012

So it isn't just superannuated hippies (who - me?) and wannabe Jan & Dean-alikes

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Thanks David, guess this is real slot car retro chic, 20 years after the first wave with the Phantom Surfers!

It was the "Now you know" album that fooled me, because I saw the Magnetic Tape title, and thought it was from 59 or so, when a hipster in his hipster pad could put on the reel to reel and seduce a secretary with the hot sound of the slots...

Don

·
Registered
188 Posts
Three more obscurities (and probably the last from me):

Self-Titled's 2003 CD Metro, which includes the track Slot Car Dance Hall

The Ever Changing Pace - a 2012 EP from Wick, containing Slot Cars to Alaska. A cool new venue for the ISRA Worlds perhaps?

and finally

Another EP, this time 2002's Master of the Universe by Bangkok Impact featuring the song Slot Cars

No use looking for these beauties on Amazon or Spotify but you can download them from ITunes Store (if you really want to).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts