SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts

Slot Racer Magazine is the only fully independent magazine available for slot car racers; from the occasional home racer, to the professional club racer.

The May 2011 issue is thewithout a doubt, best edition of the Slot Racer Magazine so far! The 38 pages include the following articles, and a new feature!:

Gaydon Slot Car Festival Preview: Sean Fothergill from Pendle Slot Racing, give us his thoughts on the Gaydon Slot Car Festival, how he got involved in the project, and what we should be looking out for at the show.
NSR Corvette C6R Review: Its finally here, and on our test track! Only one question though, is it faster than the mighty Mosler?
Bullitt Slot Car Chase Visit: We visit Steve Day, who is recreating the entire chase scene from the legendary film Bullitt, in slot cars. Absolutely stunning!
Pendle Slot Racing Club Trans Am Race Review: Pendle Slot Racing Club host their first open retro race, was it a success?
Franco Scapini Interview, Franco Scapini could have been a legend in F1, his speed and success in F3 was impressive. Find out about his career, from karts to becoming the Life F1 test driver, and about Slot.it's Maurizio Ferrari
Maurizio Ferrari writes for us,, on the latest news from Slot.it, including their 10th anniversary special!
'Blast from the Past'-The Story of SRM: Tony Condon, BSCRA Champion, writes for us about SRM slot cars, in our new feature-'Blast from the Past'. Also, Kevin Owens (loosesalute on SlotForum) writes a review of the SRM Mini Cooper. This new feature shows that we really are listening to what people want

Each issue of the Slot Racer Magazine is currently available online, with the possibility in the near future of the magazine being offered in a full printed format, on high quality glossy paper.

For just £15, you get one years full subscription to the Slot Racer Magazine, giving you 10 issues per year. This works out at just £1.50 per copy!

You can subscribe to the magazine by visiting the website: www.slotracermagazine.co.uk

The Cover for the May 2011 Issue

NSR Corvette C6R Review

'Blast from the Past' - the story of SRM slot cars

Bullitt Slot Car Chase Visit

If you are coming to the Gaydon Slot Car Festival this weekend, please come and see us, we are exhibiting by the Battle of the Manufacturers track.

Regards
Jon Grainger
Editor-In-Chief

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cannot believe the response we have had already to this issue, it has literally flown off the shelves in one and a half hours! So thank you to all those who have just subscribed!

Dave, the subscriptions are going very well, and we are well ahead of our target. The response has been superb,

Sorry Kev, us southerner's eh?

Thanks again,
Jon

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
Any timescale yet Jon when the printed version will be available?.....and will back issues from #1 onwards be available in printed format?...

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Looks like an excellent magazine, great articles and pics. Just curious though...what exactly does that prominently featured tagline actually indicate: "the only fully independent magazine for slot cars" ?

John

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Hmmm, perhaps we should have a word with him about that...!

Ric Woods

SlotCarMAG

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Alan: Yes, I have been speaking to various printers about printing the magazine. Offers will be available, whereby back issues can be ordered. This service we hope will be available for our Gaydon Slot Car Festival Special edition. Also, subscriptions or one edition at a time will be available in the printed format.

Interesting comment John. Let me tell you the story behind the 'tagline'.

Because Slot Racer Magazine is free from external control by the Manufacturers, we can be sure that it is fully independent. Yes we have good relationships with all the Manufacturers, however we would never favour one make over another. So in our reviews, if a car is good or bad, we will tell it like it is.

From feedback received from our readers, it has been said that our reviews have encouraged or discouraged purchases of the cars. Also, we review the cars from the perspective of both the home and the club/pro racer, so everyone feels 'included'. It has also been said by readers that after looking at the competition, Slot Racer Magazine is the 'only' magazine that people want to read.

Hope this answers your question
Regards
Jon

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 24 May 2011, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From feedback received from our readers, it has been said that our reviews have encouraged or discouraged purchases of the cars. Also, we review the cars from the perspective of both the home and the club/pro racer, so everyone feels 'included'. It has also been said by readers that after looking at the competition, Slot Racer Magazine is the 'only' magazine that people want to read.
Sorry. I'm a pedant, or so I'm constantly told. I can live with the "independent" tag. It's the "only" one that I have issues with. And that has really only been compounded by the above statement.

I repeat, yes, I'm a pedant, and proud. But should your final sentence not be "the only magazine that they want to read" rather than "people" in general?

Yes, I have read your magazine. And will give it another whirl (quite interested in one article listed for this month). But I'm not a racer on any level. I don't have access to a club and any driving I do is more for fun and relaxation. I may be an oddity (well, ok... I already know I am an oddity) but even though I'm not convinced that there'll be a constant interest for me I'll be more inclined to subscribe once it's in print.

I may be a pedantic freak but it beat at least I'm not average.

Embs

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
Jon,

You need to look at history a bit before making claims like that. Except for manufacturer newsletters, all slot car magazines are, and always have been independent, including your competitor and Model Car Racing in the USA.

Now, for those that are supported by advertising, the independence may be compromised to a certain degree, or not, but they tend to survive. There were also two British print slot publications in the 1990s, both fiercely independent - and neither of which survived very long.

Kind of reminds me of Ninco claiming to have invented the anglewinder and classic slot cars...

That said, issue 3 was very enjoyable, apart a few inexcusable typos and/or sloppy editing (or maybe that's just British English...).

Don

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
All in all Jon has released a great mag.
He`s a young lad who`s keen as mustard. The mag will only get better.
Only big mistake in issue 3 was that he said I was a Tynesider!!!!

Cheers.
Kev.

·
Marc Abbott
1,915 Posts
QUOTE the only fully independent magazine for slot cars

Perhaps I've been working in a parallel universe all this time

Further - we (SlotCarMAG) rejected a story in issue 1 and we're rejecting something in issue 2... does that make SlotCarMAG more independent than this type of independent?

ABBO

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Marc

Thanks for your posting, as anyone would know (especially yourself) the purpose of a headline is to grab the attention of the reader, and from your comment this has certainly worked. Thank you!

Regards
Jon

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Hi Jon,

Ok. You win.
I gave in and went for a full subscription on Saturday (4 June), as you don't offer a casual rate (something you might consider). I'm hopeful there will be more articles that suit me in future as well as the one you have advertised for the current issue.

Just wondering if your 'annual' subscription will include the files for the first two issues of the mag, or 10 issues from the current issue.

Quite looking forward to reading the current issue some time.

Cheers
Embs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.