SlotForum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is a new one on me (as a slot racing format). Is the race run with marshals/call buttons or is it a last man standing format?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
This is a new one on me (as a slot racing format). Is the race run with marshals/call buttons or is it a last man standing format?
Different clubs run with different rules. At the Torquay club where I raced 20+ years ago the races were 30 seconds long. Staggered start with the top drivers (red roofs) starting 3/4 of a lap behind the novice (white roof) drivers, with the yellow and blue roofs in between. If your car de-slotted or was knocked out of its slot it was left untouched. If you found a car blocking your lane you just had to knock or push it aside with your car. If another car ended up in your slot, you did your best to use it to your advantage to take out your opposition. At the end of the 30 seconds you had to be able to complete the lap and reach the finishing line, in order to collect your points for that heat. The track at Torquay was 6 lanes, but usually only two or three drivers would score points in a heat. Cars could weigh up to 7 ounces to help keep them on the slot, and push their way through the other cars, some people did make lighter cars, hoping that the lighter and faster cars had the speed to keep ahead of the carnage going on behind them. Great fun.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
He had one season of F1 ;)

Reactions: Dave D Stevens

·
Registered
111 Posts
Being in something of an oval racing mood, I was having a bit of a Google around, and found this excellent channel. Loads of footage from the 70s and 80s. By the professional production and commentary standards I'd guess most, if not all, is contemporary TV sports coverage.

Those of a more sensitive disposition probably ought to avoid the bangers and stock saloons. Me, having been condemned to maintain one, I'm more than happy to watch Morris Oxfords being smashed to bits.

Particularly bonkers is the 20 laps by "talented" members of the public in their road cars. The thought of the litigation, 'Elf' n'Safety, and duty of care issues that it would entail today will be giving me nightmares for some time to come.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
A similar form of motor sport below, VW 'rail' racing some 30+ years ago. Unlike the cars, it never really took off in Britain.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Being in something of an oval racing mood, I was having a bit of a Google around, and found this excellent channel. Loads of footage from the 70s and 80s. By the professional production and commentary standards I'd guess most, if not all, is contemporary TV sports coverage.

Those of a more sensitive disposition probably ought to avoid the bangers and stock saloons. Me, having been condemned to maintain one, I'm more than happy to watch Morris Oxfords being smashed to bits.

Particularly bonkers is the 20 laps by "talented" members of the public in their road cars. The thought of the litigation, 'Elf' n'Safety, and duty of care issues that it would entail today will be giving me nightmares for some time to come.
Yes some great gentle banger racing there. Seeing the more current banger racing it makes you wonder how some of the drivers manage to escape serious injury.
Banger Racing Hard Hits

21 - 29 of 29 Posts