SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well as enjoying slot racing using "normal" cars, I too have been bitten by the scratchbuilding bug

Now, as some of you know this may involve looking at the toy department of shops, much to the dismay of she who must be obeyed. Actually, having two kids makes a great excuse! This is how I came across a large plastic bus with friction drive in the local "£1 shop". Slot head brain kicks in and "You know, that looks almost 1/32 scale". After shelling out one UK pound sterling with Queen's head I am now the proud owner of a double decker, 3 axle, tour bus.

To cut a short story long, I've ripped out the friction drive and stripped all the dodgy Chinese-English translated stickers off the outside ready for a repaint. For those with expensive taste, the bus wheels are approximately the same diameter as Fly racing truck wheels, but single wheels only - double wheels would look a bit silly. Thanks to Mr. Lord I've stretched some Ninco Merc CLK tyres over the rims (originals were soft plastic) so that should do the trick.

Motive power is 2, yes 2 motors! One for each rear axle to give me true 6x4 drive. This addition to the chassis is concocted from good old conduit let into the original bus chassis.

I'm not expecting great performance or handling (YET!), just a good crack from seeing it go round our track. However, with 4 driven wheels, it should be first off the line before falling off at the first corner! Assuming it slides controllably, however, should result in me blocking at least two lanes from passing me until it straightens up! "I'll get you for that, Butler!!" Anyone remember On The Buses?

If I ask GRAH1 nicely, he might get some photos of it online. A picture is worth a thousand words etc.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:-

IT WORKS!! and some piccies should be forthcoming on the forum thanks to Graham

Just need to get the guide sorted out (a bit wobbly at the moment) and a paint job, then maybe 2 scaleauto 35k's in it

Sorry John, no 1/32 Stan Olive or Arfer, besides the windows are just black rectangles.

Mind you, I suppose a scratch built Bus Stop might have to turn up along with a rather attractive blonde clippy in a miniskirt..."Oooh, Staaan!!"

I bet the younger ones on here don't remember clippies. OK, just for you lot... a clippy is a bus conductor.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Wouldn`t take me long to design them and knock them out in pewter!

When I first saw the header I thought you guys were gonna start a uk tour of visiting pubs and circuits. Got all envious there for a mo!!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Just bought a NewRay coach thinking of doing the same thing. At the Sandown Swapmeet on Saturday last one stall holder had a London double decker slot bus. Unique, unless anypone out there knows better...

Scott

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
nope, an eccentric bloke at wrexham has an old double decker that happily trundles around..have to laugh!

Rob.

p.s sorry to hear about the marshalling at preston last night, just cought wind of it now (Grah isnt a touch on Justin if thats what your thinking)

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Right, that's it. Nothing else for it but to slot one of these Brittans 1/32 scale combine harvesters. Surely no one's done anything that weird before.

Or have they?

Scott

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
There is a guy at my club who occasionally runs a large farm tractor with a digger shovel on the front. It's front wheel drive - via the small wheels! It goes surprisingly well with a LOT of back end swiping round curves. I'll try to get a pic next weekend. Every club has its nutter!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! The combine seems a great idea. Block 2 lanes without swinging the tail out.

Clubs need nutters!

Update! I've been given some Xenon lights, so the bus will have even more track presence!
Thanks, ****!

Mark.

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
I have a 1/32ish Wallace Arnold "Greyhound" type bus I have converted to slot use amongst many other oddities.

One such vehicle, a Mercedes Police Van friction toy made in Hong Kong by Lucky (Horseshoe?) is perfect testament to my inept grasp of all things electrical. I decided not only to convert it for slot use but to include the feature of a flashing blue light. To achieve this I decided to use a 12v car flasher unit. A simple small box with two terminals that I just fitted in line of one of the guide to motor wires.

I took it along to the club one night and before the racing started, put it on the track to give it a try. It immediately roared off, very impressively, but after less than quarter of a lap it came to a sudden halt, a click was heard, the light came on, another click, light off, and it roared away again, causing much hilarity in the club room. Not wanting to spoil everybodies enjoyment I continued for a couple of laps, stopping 4 or 5 times on each, until I eventually became aware of a nasty melting smell and a warm sensation in my controller hand. I stopped straight away but it was too late, it had destroyed the resistor in my Parma throttle leading to much p155 taking and even more hilarity!

I have a few other Lucky products converted to slot, although they are slightly overscale, including a passable Motorway patrol Range Rover and 4 Jag XJ12 coupes fitted with identical spec P&G Tyrell underpans (my favourite choice for easy motorizing of statics) and SCX Porsche 911 motors and axles.

Does this make me the "club nutter"?

Mr.M

·
Phil B.
3,765 Posts
The Airfix Ford Model T fits nicely on a Scalex Metro chassis, you can use the kit wheels but need to find some spindley rubber tyres (usually found at swapmeets in the bits boxes) it goes very well and you can hang the back end out!
Cheers -Phil B.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:

The best lap of Slot Tech we have achieved so far is 11.255 seconds. The bus hasn't been ballasted or magneted as yet - don't think it needs magnets though

The acceleration is quite prodigious - the 6x4 drive configuration works well, despite running standard Ninco tyres stretched onto the large bus rims! Conering does need a degree of care though; the bus is rather prone to tipping, but can fishtail

Need to get the lights fitted, a paint job and possibly more race tuning

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts