SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had our first F1 season race on Thursday night and what an eye-opener it was too! All of us I think need shares in super glue and some of us need to go shopping with a spares list. Poor Adrian, our newest senior member had a brand new, beautiful Renault F1 which was in bits at the end

Before my Dallara Indy turned a wheel in anger, the rear wing was snapped in half. My daughter accidentally knocked it from my hand and it hit the floor at the wrong angle
. Cyanoacrylate to the rescue. Initially I was doing ok during the racing - the car was quick enough to lead for a few laps, but a couple of bad pile ups later and I had to use the spare car (my daughter's Scaley single seater - yellow, blue & green Petronas) so at least I got a point. Back to the Indy car. Once the front wishbones break it's game over because the wishbones locate the front axle in the car. You can't just put a spacer tube over it to locate the axxle in the body because there's a huge square hole where the wishbones once sat! Fortunately Sean stocks spares, but they are complete front axle assemblies. I see a stock of Indy wheels and tyres accumulating in my slot box

This post demonstrates the fragility of wings and slicks cars running magnets.
If a real F1 race is wet then we will take our mags out. alfa hit the nail on the head when he kept saying "I wish it was wet!"

Another memorable moment was GRAH1 finding out that he actually had TOO MUCH downforce!

Like real F1 I think we could be having an expensive season! But it's something esle to do on our track

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
There's nothing like a little carnage in the first race of a series to get everyone focused!

Hint.... run a Ferrari!

Sounds like fun though, Diff!

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Fergy ,Diff hasnt pointed out that every one was allocated a team at the start of the year and that was the car you had to race for the season its up to you then to develop the car and make it a winner just like the real thing, We allowed the indy car as an option to make things more even, Despite the carnage my own 3 yr old scaley Jordan set the fastest practice lap once Id got rid of 1/2 the down force.but the 3yr old motor just didnt have the power to keep up the pace in the race and unfortunatly dropped me to 3rd behind the 2 toyotas of Jim Brown and **** Lord .The big problem with magnet racing as I see it is when you have an off its terminal,adds to the realism I suppose,but the racing was very close and the standard motors kept the speeds down so the damage was limmited.
Back to the garage ,pray for rain for the next one.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just need to get to Sean's stock of Indy front axles before alfa's son does!
Then again he didn't incur the same damage...yet

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We`ve been to that place where you guys are! Now the senior lads are non mag only, it was just too painful watching these lovely new cars brake to pieces!! The Dads N lads still race mag and for that I have had to turn the power down a tad to around 14 Volts, then all is peaceful and a lot less dangerous around the room!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
ouch! crashed ferrari anyone?

sounds like fun, the F1 racing.

I might spray up a ProSlot ferrari in Minardi colours! expect the unexpected!
could do a Sauber... anyone racing 1 of those?

Jimbo

16 volts.... power mad
u haven't got that many blistering straights rob...

·
Registered
325 Posts
ok, fair does

16v if u can handle it, might aswell work those motors!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Being a non `Sparkie` type I have no idea what Amps our set up is pushing out as by all accounts it`s the Amps that count and not the Volts? Fergy

My point is that with the `power` turned down we don`t seem to get as many really bad offs. That`s an under statement as it was getting dafter than a daft thing and dangerous with Junior racers in the impact area! Really was stressful for me as I supply the cars for every meeting for those who don`t own their own. Biggest rite off night was 6 brand new F1 cars...and I mean right offs!

All this rambling on is leading up to a question. Ok "would we be better off if our cars travelled at a 1/32 scale accurate speed?"

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
jonny about the house cars I know, we got some and I was against it still am but they are all wrecked, one of our nascars has had the body mount broken, the racers disrespect them, but if you take them away they complain no win situation

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Jonny, you want more amps than the cars can possibly want, and yes, then you can control the max speed by adjusting the voltage. Just as you said, you can dial the voltage down to reduce carnage levels for kids or for certain classes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Trouble is Int it`s a key aspect to driving the numbers up at your club. I`m also not too proud to admit that we had no money when I was a kid and I`m never going to allow that to stop some young laddie race nowadays, so a small price to pay I reckon. It has however, led me to think that the top end speed of modern slot cars is daft and out of scale? What do you lads think?

Fergy you have become my very own `Guardian Slot Angel ` mate, you come up trumps every time. I get baffled by the technical side of lecy and doubt what I`m doing, so thanks for that again matey

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Jonny, no problem.

The speed of slot cars has always been way out of scale - and like F1, the envelope keeps getting pushed and the speeds get higher.

However, I don't think you'd want to race at true scale speeds... it would be pretty slow and very boring!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I reckon I just wanna slow the whole pace of life down after hitting 40!

Truth is though that recently I did get fed up with the latest Scalex F1 cars as I reckon they are now too fast and I favour the SCX F1 `s because they `feel right` ? They certainly look better going round the track.

You know , I hate Maths almost as much as electricity and you must know this question is coming.... so how fast is the scale speed for F1 in 1/32?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts