SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have got a permanent layout in my garage at the moment, the garage is unheated. The track has faired well over the winter months as I gave the rails a rub over with Inox and all that was required was a clean with a cloth and it was ready to go.

My main concern is storing the cars. Does anyone worry about the change of temperatures and the effects it has on the cars? Or is it just me?

I currently store my collection indoors over the winter, but as it grows (250+!) the missus is not liking the space they take up!

I am thinking of building a 8x16ft shed complete with heating to put the layout and cars in, which would be ideal as it would free up space in both the garage and the spare room. My main concern is the damp, I know some members have used sheds and I would like comments on:

1. How they insulated the shed?
2. To heat the shed or not?
3. Am I fussing over nothing re the temperatures and cars?

Your comments are appreciated!

Thanks
Rich

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have looked at your pics, your cabin is great! Same for your layout!

I'm impressed and it's given me even more motivation to complete my layout. Also to plan the next in the shed!!

I will be building my own shed, so it may look as good as yours! Just one question...What sort of insulation did you use in the roof?

·
Ian
99 Posts
Rich,
I used Kingspan Thermapitch Roof Insulation Boards simple, however looking back I would have fitted them differently, I may still do this as and when I need to re-felt the roof, I'll lay the boards on the roof then felt over the top. Apparently that's the way it is done now

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Hi Rich, I lined the floor, walls & roof with a damp proof mebrane then 2" kingspan on same, chipboard floor & plasterboard on the walls. I have a 1.5 kw oil filled radiator on frost protection in the colder months, it's just the job especially when the wife chucks me out of the house.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

That's the way I was going to go.

This project is getting more expensive by the minute! Still cheaper than a possible divorce!

Thanks for your input, it has put my mind at rest re the cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have clear palstic display case on the wall that I know store all my cars, however 12+ years
ago I stored my cars in plastic totes in an old house that got cold in Winter, in 98 or 99 a
cold Winter I had to replace almost all my cars rear tires that touched the plastic cases, wow!
Expensive! I started putting a dish washing rag at bottom of cases and that fixed the problem,
then we moved.

ncng

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
The biggest problem with anything stored over long periods is oxidisation. Reduce the amount of oxygen able to attack metal, rubber and even plastics and the ageing process slows down. Apparently this would also work for people if is wasn't for the fact we need to breathe the stuff!

Anyway - look at old tyres that are kept loose - they go hard on the surface over time. Scrape the surface away (and ruin the tyre) and the underneath is usually better - because it has had less exposure to oxygen.

Damp helps accelerate the oxidisation process.

If you want to keep cars safe, regardless of temperature and moisture variations I would suggest you remove the tyres and wrap them in acid free tissue paper (normal tissue paper and most paper contains acid and is not of archival quality). Then place the whole box, car and tyres (inside the box) in a good quality plastic bag and seal it. There will be oxygen inside but it will not be enough to cause significant damage. Suck as much air (and therefore oxygen and moisture) out of the bag before sealing it tight (mechanically, not with tape). Properly sealed, this will protect the contents from temperature changes that cause condensation and air flow by not having much moisture inside to condense and by being sealed to stop new oxygen coming in to do more damage. Pick a good quality plastic bag - I got the previous year's Christmas decorations down last December and the supermarket carrier bags we had used for a couple of years had disintegrated into what was a very messy indoor snowstorm! Large freezer bags will probably work well.

Obviously this will be less effective if you live in the Arctic or a rainforest but in the average shed it should be OK. Beware lofts with insulation on the floor rather than in the eaves as temperatures can get very hot in summer and very cold in winter. Conservatories are the same no no - our conservatory can reach 50 degree centigrade in the summer and we live in Wales!

If you are worried about temperature variations then put your plastic bags in a box lined with polystyrene - that should even out the peaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find it's also handy to toss in a few silica gel packets. The kind that come with all sorts of electronic gear. If they've absorbed moisture already you can revive them by microwaving them for a minute or so. This way the silica absorbs the moisture instead of allowing it to accelerate corrosion of nearby metal. STFW for more info or to find a source for them online.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments, I have gone with Bill's suggestion of the silica gel sachets. I bought them from Evilbay and put one in each cars box, however I lost my bottle and brought the collection indoors for the winter!

The idea of the shed was deemed too costly (to do it properly) so it has been put on hold. I am currently building a new layout in the garage, the thread is on here somewhere. Next winter I will leave a few cars out there to see how they fare with the gel sachets.

The up and over garage door is probably the single cause of draughts and cold so maybe one of them roller shutter insulated ones would be a better option, but again its all down to cost!

Once again, thanks for all your comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts