SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got one of the cheap racing kits from hedly,s hobbies. i was a little disapointed, the car is so high off the ground i could limbo dance under it. i dropped it as low as it would go, but its still way up in the air. it just goes to show what a long way cars have come in a few years. any one else bought one of these and been disapointed. john

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm looking fwd to setting one up. I brought a couple of racing kits and several of the digital Lolas from the same source.

I run no mag on wood. I set up one of the digital ones and thought for 19 quid they're one of the best buys I've had in years. I just ordered a few more

I ripped out all the digital bits, replaced the digital guide and just did the same mods I do for the Fly Classic series I collect

:: I replaced the gear with a Slot It 19mm (drilled out to take the wider Sloter axle)
:: I replaced the rear tyres with NSR Ultragrips (only because I do this to all my classics - the Sloter tyres were nice and soft)
:: I lightly shaved the chassis perimeter and enlarged the screw holes to get some body rock. I run the car with the body loose
:: Usual truing and glueing - with the front tyres ground down to get the guide in nice and deep.

The set up is better and significantly faster than any of my FLY classics. The cornering speed is superb. It laps my 95' track in 6.9 seconds which is quick - well set up Slot It pace.

I'll set up a kit Lola today and come back with findings
Mac

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did all that, with the excption of the tyres, which are the limiting factor to getting it low, because they rub on the underside of the body. i,m going to go with much smaller tyres [wheels] to get it as low as i like to run them. john

·
Registered
72 Posts
Set one of the kits up. The MBSlot 23k motor and gearing was too much of a handful on my track. Swapped it out for a Fly motor and set up as above so performance is the same.

Mac

·
Registered
115 Posts
I Just got a couple of these with the MB upgrades fitted. The bits alone are worth the money.
Have just ordered an HRS2 chassis for one of them. However the second one will get lowered and the guide replaced with a SICH10. There used to MB offset bearings to allow lowering the chassis. They are now out of stock.

To lower chassis my solution will be to fit a pinion at both ends of the motor and set up the rear axle with slot.it 18mm gears.
Place the chassis on a flat surface with a thin shim under the motor around 0.5 mm and gently heat the brass bearings with a soldering iron while pulling the gears in to mesh. The end result should be a raised back axle which will in turn lower the chassis.
A couple of spots of superglue to hold things in place and the strip it all down and Araldite the bearings for a permanent solution.

The over bendy chassis will probably get the magnet and hot water treatment to flatten it. Once that is done some piano wire glued to the chassis around the motor pod to stiffen the rear end.

I will update this next week when I have tried the mods.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Mine is bog standard except the rear tires I swapped for the front off my Ninco 934. I never noticed by now you say it is a bit high. Maybe offset rear bushings and even then. Still a nice runner though,
The exhaust position of the kit is too low I raised mine to stick out next to the oil cooler. Mine is painted Kodak #27.

Can't believe I writing all this "me" stuff!
Apart from a new life I need at minimum a beer.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
ive got some spare offset slot it pods and i,m going to fit one to the standard chassis to get the motor weight lower. its still a bargain for what you get. has any one got a spare slotor zyteck shell or a slot it 390 body not bothered about condition. pm me if you have one. john

1 - 8 of 8 Posts