SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nor are any of us serious collectors

We even managed to stick to the schedule (mostly).

Races were as detailed HERE and every race was closely fought and great fun, thanks to all who came for making it the best weekend Swiss Race Bahn has had to date.

The results were as follows and the number of participants in each race is in brackets and then I list the first three places in order.

Ninco Classic (8) - Mr Material UK, Swissracer, Ecurie Ecosse.
Porsche Open (11) - Joergs, Slotshot, Overdrive.
Not a bad show for Overdrive in his first ever race!
NASCAR Control Freak (10) - Ecurie Ecosse, Swissracer, Slik.
(NB: Race was held on Sunday morning and we used a Racer Ferrari instead of a NASCAR.)
Night Race (11) - Joergs, Swissracer, Mr Material UK.
(Race was seriously fogbound and saw Xlots first race since the 60s
)
SRB Open (11) - Slotshot, Edo, Overdrive.
(Some incredible cars entered, especially Edos Tomasek Mazda and the highly tuned and race prepped Lola from Ecurie Ecosse )
NSCC VMG Thrash (11) - thomas, Mr Material UK, joergs.
(A big thank you to Jexy1 and Co for running the race)
Caravan Sprint (12) - Swissracer, Jexy1, Slik.
Concourse Competition (12) -
Mr Material UK with his Subaru 360s
thomas with his 1/24 scale Mercedes old timer.
Swissracer with his Ferrari 355 Spider.

Using the scoring system detailed in the post linked to above gave us the following overall Standings and the Official winner for 2004.

So, in reverse order and with a huge thank you for attending, from Nuro and Swissracer....

QUOTE SlotForum Drivers Trophy 2004

13th --- Xlot - with 16 points.
12th --- Mini Swiss' - with 56 points.
11th --- thomas - with 110 points.
10th --- joergs - with 124 points.
9th --- Nuro - with 131 points.
8th --- Overdrive - with 139 points.
7th --- Edo - with 161 points.
6th --- Slotshot - with 173 points.
5th --- Jexy1 - with 175 points.
4th --- Ecurie Ecosse - with 178 points.
3rd --- Swissracer - with 181 points.
2nd --- Slik - with 182 points.

and the Winner is ---

1st --- Mr Material UK - with 209 points.

Congratulations to all for a great effort and for bringing such good humour and skills!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry thomas, no I didn't forget,but as that race wasn't part of the SlotForum Cup I left it to come up later or in another topic

However it WAS a great race to watch, especially Toby, Benjy and Tatjana giving the big boys some trouble. I hope Tatjana isn't TOO traumatised by the rough beating she took on the track by the focussed and demonic Jexy1 ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Whooo Hooo!

Farnham Scalextric Club take 1st place (& 2nd & 4th & 5th) in the battle of Europe!
. Proving that for once and for all, Southerners are the best Slot Racers in England (& Europe!!!)

Cant wait to hear all the gossip and tales from the Weekend on Wednesday.

Well done for making the trip........ next time perhaps it could be a larger bash?....maybe even a UK one?.

Tell me, was the Sunday race drink enduced or was everyone a good boy?.

Hope all had a safe trips.....any photo's around?

Neil D

·
Registered
773 Posts
...not to bad, she's getting the best medical treatement available now, hope she recovers soon...

It's been impressive to me to see how our youngsters have been able to hunt the "big boys" with the 1/24-cars!

And big thanks to Mr. Material for showing real sportsmanship

And I think it's been fun for everyone - the drivers and the spektators... But Jexy has to build the Audi R8 in 1/24 now - and the there will be a 1/24-competition at Farnham...
and a chance for me to race "real" slotcars

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE there will be a 1/24-competition at Farnham

Not unless you race one car at a time there won't!

QUOTE next time perhaps it could be a larger bash?

Offer was there! can't force folk to come

Still the squillions of photos around (and video footage) and the bragging rights obtained by the Farnham Slot Posse should make next years event more of a 'be there or be at home being bored' Event.

Posts to watch for -

Jexy1 and the saga of the traumatised child.
Ecurie Ecosse and his awesome tuning tricks for Fly Lolas.
Swissracer and his incredible 'forget a racer in the start list' trick. (sorry Nuro!)
joergs 'I am not Competitive, I just like punching the air and shouting 'YES' and his various wins.
The Great Mr Material UK and Swissracer Subaru 360 play off, did we mention their small size yet?
Slik and his theory on the speed of cars when you have the wrong lanes controller in your hand.

and lastly a little teaser pic...

Night Race Swiss Style....

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SlotForum Drivers Trophy this year was an AutoArt Brakedisc wall clock.
Second was the New AutoArt 'c'type Jaguar diecast
Third was a Minichamps Limited Edition Matra F1

We found it too hard finding slot prizes for the winners, I mean none of us are collectors right? but what do you get the guys who have it all?

Seperate Race winner prizes included Overdrive Caps, Overdrive lightkits for everyone in the night race and extra for the winner, A VMG Racer, A Scalextric LTD ED plain green VW Beetle - The Shrek Machine! a Metal Viper Chassis and a 1/24 scale Carrera Audi R8 and 1/24 TSRF Club chassis to sit it on.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE Farnham Scalextric Club take 1st place (& 2nd & 4th & 5th) in the battle of Europe! . Proving that for once and for all, Southerners are the best Slot Racers in England (& Europe!!!)

I really want to say it wasn't like that, especially as the local guys took a self-imposed points handicap to negate their home track advantage, a very sporting gesture.

Also, unless I'm getting an unexpected cheque to cover the costs, it was not a Farnham Club entry - nor Liphook or Bolwextric as three of us also race at those clubs regularly, nor any sort of nationality based thing at all - but rather four mates who all wanted to go and it made sense to travel together.

In fact, although people were competitive in the races, the atmosphere over the whole weekend was one of a bunch of guys having fun playing with slot cars in the most incredible venue you can imagine. SwissRaceBahn is slot heaven, simple as that.

I had been looking forward to going for weeks and enjoyed every minute of it - and when you consider we had two days of at least 13 hours each at the track there were a lot of minutes. On the way home Mr Material said he thought we should only go back once every four weeks. He was not fully joking.

For the record, Swissracer put in a lot of effort arranging accommodation and restaurants as well as structuring things at the track and it was a perfect mix of formal and fun. We owe him a huge debt that I hope we can reciprocate sometime in future.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

A BIG thank you to everybody for the best slot car event I have been this year by a country mile. This weekend really was fantastic and I recommend everybody who possibly can, makes it along next year. If you like slot cars you owe it to yourself.

This weekend was far more than just racing. Of course there was plenty of this and pretty competitive at times too. Just ask JEXY1 about racing with small children and how he likes to let them catch up right at the end before blasting across the line to take the victory
There was a very good prize for winning that series of races though and it was very close at the front so maybe we will let him off, this time.
Anyway, I digress, as well as some fine racing I made a number of good new friends this weekend as well as catching up with some I haven't seen for a while. Let me tell you more.

Mr. Material, Ecurie Ecosse, JEXY1 and myself departed from the SE of England bright and early Friday morning in a rather nice Lexus with all the extras you could ask for as well as a couple of others that I would not have considered before. The journey was long but pleasant with a high expectancy of what laid ahead and plenty of eighties music on the banging stereo (more of that later).

We arrived mid-evening and were greeted by a big fruity kiss for our eyes in form of two slot car tracks that are just not done justice by pictures alone. I know you have seen Swissracer's Mugello track on here but believe me when I tell you that when you first see it in the flesh, so to speak, that you will be
x 1000. The track would be fantastic to look at even if you could not race around it, however, it is not merely a static display of course and the racing upon it is a much fun as it is beautiful. As we were all cooing like pigeons at Mugello we were presented with bottles of beer from the fridge which went down very nicely after the journey. Of course Swiss Race Bahn 128 is not merely one track, oh no! As well as Mugello (4-lane Scalextric Sport) there is also the wonderful Suzuka (4-lane Carrera). I have only run on Carrera once before and that was a rather small track, this was approx 34 metres in length so I could hardly wait to give it a good go and see if all the fuss about Carrera is justified.

After a quick tour of the facilities on offer which included, two more tracks not mentioned above, snacks, tea, coffee, Red Bull (Woot!) and every slot car tuning tool you could ask for we drove the short trip to our hotel to check in and enjoy a much deserved meal. JEXY1 and I were sharing a room and were lucky enough to be given what can only be described as an apartment rather than a mere room. I'll let Mr. Material and Ecurie Ecosse tell you about their room themselves

We enjoyed a pleasant dinner and few glasses of wine / beer / Coca Light. The evening went on for many hours with plenty of chat about slot cars amongst other things. Everybody was extremely friendly and I met a number people that I truly hope will be friends for many years to come. I believe we got to bed at about 2am.

The next morning we were at the club bright and early ready for some racing and more beer! Well maybe a cup of coffee / tea or two before the beer drinking started after a fairly small amount of sleep! We started out with some open practice to get used to the circuits and do some final car tuning.

The first race was Ninco Classics on Mugello. The racing was close, competitive and fun. This was the first time many of us had raced Mugello in anger and I think I can talk for all when I say we were not dissapointed. The track is a dream to drive and i know when I next go up to my loft that I will be looking at incorporating some of the fatastic features in place on Mugello into my own track. Swissracer, you have created a masterpiece there buddy.
The classic cars all looked fantastic shimmying through the curves and blasting along the straights and far too quickly we had all raced all the lanes and it was time for some drinks and a little R & R before the next series. We all ordered Pizza for delivery, after all who would want to leave such a good club at lunch time? Not me, nor anybody else!

Next up was the Porsche Open on Suzuka and I could hardly wait to see what a large Carrera circuit would be like to race on. There was a fair mix of cars being raced but I opted for my Slot.it 956. This was the ifrst time I had raced it properly without a magnet and was not dissapointed, in fact the 956 with magnet removed and well sanded ProSlot tyres rocks! Just for the avoidance of doubt, when I say it rocks, I don't mean in a Darkness "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" style. Oh no, we are talking full on Motorhead "Ace of Spades" stylee, or for you younger L337 speakers, RoXXor! Yes. The Suzuka circuit was the perfect compliment to it and again the racing was close, at times fraught but always fun. The perfect balance as far as I'm concerned.

More to follow later..

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE SlotForum Drivers Trophy 2004

13th --- Xlot - with 16 points.
12th --- Mini Swiss' - with 56 points.
11th --- thomas - with 110 points.
10th --- joergs - with 124 points.
9th --- Nuro - with 131 points.
8th --- Overdrive - with 139 points.
7th --- Edo - with 161 points.
6th --- Slotshot - with 173 points.
5th --- Jexy1 - with 175 points.
4th --- Ecurie Ecosse - with 178 points.
3rd --- Swissracer - with 181 points.
2nd --- Slik - with 182 points.

and the Winner is ---

1st --- Mr Material UK - with 209 points.

Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking........

Those self-imposed 40 point handicaps suffered by the local drivers really should give an idea of who the real winner was. Read Swiss 221pts, Slotshot 213pts, Mr.M 209pts...

A fantastic weekend and definitely the best slot car-related one I have ever had the pleasure of attending.

Thank you so much! To Swiss and Nuro for the organisation of the event (and the forum), to Thomas for his generosity, to Ecurie Ecosse and Jexy for organising the travel arrangements as well as, with Slik, being the best travelling companions a bloke could wish for, to Overdrive for the great prizes and to every single one of you for making it so much fun!

Some of the highlights for me;

Beating Swiss, mano a mano, despite home advantage, in the Ninco Classics by one solitary lap.

Urging Xlot to join in the DTM night race and despite his protestations of " I am an engineer, not a racer" enjoying the sound in the last heat of his stint, of an anguished cry familiar to many club racers " Blue lane please......blue.....BLUE!"

Seeing Edo lubricating his eyeballs before the big open race, so he would be able to follow the super-quick Mazda he was running.

Slik, thinking he was getting some sly video footage of Slotshot preparing his car, including putting it up to his ear to listen to the gear mesh, before realising that he was just answering his mobile!

Running with Thomas around Suzuka with his fantastic 1/24 cars and hearing the fanfare from the timing system as my lap times came down. The Cheetah was an absolute joy!

Fagan, I mean Jexy1, demonically focussing on beating MiniSwiss and Tatjana in the impromptu 1/24 crash & burn race despite my attempts at nerfing him.

The fact that people, genuinely, I hope, enjoyed the crash & burn format that we ran the NSCC race in. So much so that the 1/24 race was run that way too and the sound of Swiss and joergs discussing running some club nights that way.

Driving my cars around Mugello, a truly fantastic track, and having to slow down to watch them running "through" the trees.

The lump in my throat, caused by the surprise that my little Scooby had won the concours event.

And on our return journey, the hurried visit to the Schlumpf museum in Mulhouse.

The ICE battle with the bloke in the Audi in the channel tunnel. He lost, big time! Pardon!

I'm sure I will think of more, as I seem to be constantly reliving the entire 4 days in my head.

Thank you all, once again, you are all fantastic people and this hobby seems to be full of them!

And as I said at the start of my speech, I really don't want to put too much emphasis on the fact that I won.........

Mr.M

Inaugural Inter-Continental Multi Discipline SlotForum Champion

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE Beating Swiss, mano a mano, despite home advantage, in the Ninco Classics by one solitary lap.

And very suprised I was too!
There was I, smugly thinking I had the first race in the bag and wallop! along comes Mr Smooth and Constant...

Don't mind loosing in the least (yeah right!
) but I wish you had done it by more than a crummy 1 lap!!

Thanks to you all for bringing such good spirit and companionship, that was the best race event we have ever had at SRB, second to none.

I would point out that we didn't impose the 40 point penalty on Slotshot as he is relatively new to the Club and (until that Open race) uncompetitive. We will have to watch him from now on ehh? seems he got the winning bug

You will be happy ( I hope) to learn that tonights Racing will be totally to the Crash and Burn Rules you gave us. I am looking forward to racing many cars I usually don't!

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 29 Sep 2004, 12:01)You will be happy ( I hope) to learn that tonights Racing will be totally to the Crash and Burn Rules you gave us. I am looking forward to racing many cars I usually don't!
I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.

Mr.M (The crash & burn evangelist)

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Thanks to all that came. It was great to see people from Italy, Germany, The UK, France and Switzerland all participating.

Thanks to Swiss for his hospitality and Thomas for the pressies and to the other members of Swiss Race Bahn for their kindness and willingness to speak English to us foreigners.

It was great to see the English contingent doing so well. Thanks guys for coming over and showing us your tricks. Perhaps we'll have a rematch sometime soon.

A good week end all round with great tracks, racing and car talk; good food and drink; and fantastic company.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE Urging Xlot to join in the DTM night race despite his protestations

Jim,

as Kipling would say, the mark of a real man is to do good deeds expecting no gratitude in return
Thus, you took it stoically when I promptly nerfed you into oblivion under the bridge !!!

I have to admit it was fun (I mean racing, so to speak) - I'm just disappointed that Gareth stole the limelight and my besting Mini-Swiss in that race went unmentioned

Beppe

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE my besting Mini-Swiss in that race went unmentioned

We thought it best to limit the accusations of child traumatising to Jexy alone

The whole point was that you DID race and by the sounds and smiles, you had FUN!
(not to mention nerfing my nemesis on Mugello!) Miniswiss forced himself to stay awake for that race JUST so he could hear what you guys said about the fog effects, he is very proud that we do that and that he installed it for me.
He slept until 1 in the afternoon after that little session.

It was great to meet you Beppe and I hope to come and see your track system and talk more about it when I am more relaxed, very soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.