SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Ive taken the liberty of picking the bones out of this thread for the benefit of any one whose not sure what we'll be racing . Mac let me know by Pm if theres any changes and Ill edit it .

QUOTE SlotForum Early Bird GP meeting rules and regs.

DATE Sunday the 30th of Jan 2005.

VENUE
Wolverhampton slot club, Strykers bowling centre, Showell rd off theA449, Stafford rd, 2mile from city centre, 3 mile from junction 2 M54,

TRACK 100 foot board and tape. Sandtex surface

CARS GP cars {not indi} up to 1960,

CLASS1
RTR cars i.e. maserati 250f, vanwall, merc w196, etc, unmodified except internal weight,

CLASS 2, scratch and kit cars of the same period.

Class 2 cars must be 1/32 scale +/- 1/32 on track and wheelbase.

Guides
must not be in front of front bodywork as seen from the plan view.

TYRES

All compounds of rubber type, no sponges. Max width .320 inch.

The meeting will be an easy going days racing with an emphasis on scale, so please no lexan blobs with 1/4 inch wheels 2 and 1/2 inches wide!!
If enough people would like Saturday practice the club would be opened,
Mac p

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Are prewar GP cars ok for this race?

i.e. 30's cars such as the Mercs and Auto Unions etc. ?

Also are rear engined cars ok such as 1958-60 Coopers?

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
hi Phill yes pre-war cars are ok, nice to see some of those rumbbling round and the coopers, anything before 1960, cheers mac p

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Mac,

I had always assumed that you have meant to include al GP cars before F1 adopted the 1.5l formula in 1961. So to be pedantic do you mean pre-1961? This would then allow the cars in the last year of the 2.5l F1 to race, which i think is what you intend?

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
QUOTE (Dick Smith @ 18 Nov 2004, 15:38)Mac,

I had always assumed that you have meant to include al GP cars before F1 adopted the 1.5l formula in 1961. So to be pedantic do you mean pre-1961? This would then allow the cars in the last year of the 2.5l F1 to race, which i think is what you intend?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi Dick yes thats it befor the 1- 1/2 ltr cars hope thats clear, cheers mac p

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Hey Phil,
How come your Club Special Cooper has fat tires and my Club Special BRM still has the skinny ones? Thought the wider tires were only on the Honda, Viper, etc... Did all the older ones get reshod, or is that your personal initiative?
Don

PS: I know Motor Sport changed the cover, was just funnin'

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I think all the later cars had the fatter tyres, who knows with VIP, after the fire they were making all sorts of things.
I put some Ortmann Scalextric tyres on this as the VIP ones were rock hard as usual!
Runs really well.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Don, I had some thoughts on this overnight. This car has the independent front suspension, so maybe that's why it has the wider wheels.
Found some VIP doughnut tyres this morning, in a brand new packet marked 'soft', opened the packet only to find they were as hard as nails

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Phil

I love my old VIPs and run them when I can. Some years ago, I had a friend who was doing some work, cast up silicone replacement rear tires for me. Silicone never hardens. The motors and all are so low stress they can with proper maintainece run about forever, but the tires...

Anyway, do you want me to check into getting some for you? They will probably be about $5 a pair.

Fate

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
like you rocky I have replaced my vip tyres with silicon I take a plaster cast of the old wheel and tyre and then cast new silis directly onto the wheel works great and they dont wear out I use unibond premix black silicon and it sets overnight in a plaster mould

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Phill keep the cars to recent manufactured stuff, this thing started just as a run out for the new scaley cars, then a scratch built class was added, the numbers that now wish to take part is growing by the day, if we are not careful there will be very little track time for each entrant. cheers mac p

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Ecurie Martini, I'm sure there will be folks there willing to race your cars. I would, but I'm not that good a racer - ask Scott.

On from what philsmith said: We could have a little side rule stating that only one version of each car can race at once so we don't end up with Fangio and his clone on the track together. If there is a dispute, the choice of who drives what, can be settled with the flip of a coin.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Nuro @ 22 Nov 2004, 20:52)On from what philsmith said: We could have a little side rule stating that only one version of each car can race at once so we don't end up with Fangio and his clone on the track together. If there is a dispute, the choice of who drives what, can be settled with the flip of a coin.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah and then we could end up of lots of two-man heats - Fangio vs Moss, followed by Fangio vs Moss, then Moss vs Fangio (for a bit of variety). Let's not get all het up over format and what's in and what's out, as Mac said it's just a bit of social and chance to run some cars that don't otherwise see much tracktime.

Coop

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Wow! I was only jokiing when I made the comments about the sports cars!
That is great

Still no reply to the question on RTR cars, how old can they be?

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
QUOTE (Rail Racer @ 23 Nov 2004, 13:32)EM,
I will proxy drive your entry.

You should get it back just as you sent it to me as I not damaged a proxy car yet when racing them.

RR
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you - I'll get started - but no worries about the car - it will be, after all, a racing car and to quote from the redoubtable Prof. Fate: "They're doomed - they're all doomed!"

EM

1 - 20 of 168 Posts