SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
I just sent you an eamail Mac, so hopefully I'll be there.

Hope so as I have started work on a couple of cars, progress picture below.

On the left, Atlas chassis and motor and on the right Tradeship motor and a Strombecker front end.
Behind is the VIP Cooper I'll use in the RTR class, all preped and ready to go

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
This is very much how the Bordeaux event is run by Samy Behara.
Not too many regs. just the plea that cars be built to the 'spirit'

This is great for most people, who like myself, Mac and many others enjoy building the cars as much as racing and are not to bothered where they come in the competition.

But there are always people who will want to win at any costs (or in some cases whole nations
) so certain basic rules must be applied.

The easiest of these to enforce are simple dimensional ones, i.e. tyre width and diameter and ground clearance etc.

So why not have these rules in place to avoid disappointments on race day?

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Thinking a little more on dimensions of pre '60 F1 cars I wondered exactly how wide the .320" rule was in real life (hadn't thought about it before as I had just built my cars to scale tyre size), anyway it seems that 0.320" x 32 = 10.24" !!!

Didn't think F1 had anything approaching that until the late sixties

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Mac, will the measurement be taken with the guide in the straight ahead position?

As obviously when you turn the guide the corners will protrude, as you can see in Derek's Mercedes.

This might seem like a trivial question, but as there is not much front overhang on this type of car it is very difficult to get the guide far enough back.

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Looks like it gonna be a fun weekend, no chance of winning though

Is there gonna be a concours prize?

would anyone know the type of tyre best suited to the Wolverhampton track?
or I guess I should have said , is anyone willing to tell me

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Re. Ortmann tyres
According to Michael Ortmann they are some kind of plastic and if you refer to them as silicone he gets quite angry!
When you sand the you get some kind of white dust, I bet we will find out in the future that this is as bad for you as Asbestos

I think I asked this before but did not get an answer..........

Can you change the tyres on the RTR cars?

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Most of this is out of the scrap box!

Marklin body, Atlas motor and chassis, wheels are just some kind of sixties aluminium, front tyres don't know, rear tyres are Ortmanns turned down to suit, wheel inserts are Ninco wires turned down to fit the wheels and a Ninco driver (with cut away sleeves to reveal bare arms
) with a Scalextric Hong-Kong head !!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.