SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 168 Posts
G

·
to quote from the redoubtable Prof. Fate: "They're doomed - they're all doomed!"

EM

As my youngest daughter has been saying practising for her Christmas pantomime.

"OH NO THEIR ARE NOT" and you should get it back in one piece.

RR

· mac pinches
2,134 Posts
Phill i think you may be right, after a few phone calls and talks it would be better to open RTR class to all cars, its up to the driver wich he uses but as you say it will add spice, as long as the old hard tyres are replaced with tyres within the .320 rule . as the man say,s "make it so". ill have the details of the hotel on thursday. this thing has taken me by suprise, what started out as a runout for a couple of masers and vanwalls is now a monster! and i thought it was only i who liked old GPcars, and what about that banner!! thanks Doug mac p

· mac pinches
2,134 Posts
Gentlemen, im now compiling an entry list for the event, with a max entry of 35 drivers, {2 classes, 70 heats!!!} 12 places have gone allready so i should not hang around too long , closing date 17th of Jan. please e-mail or phone {01543 871849} your entries. please state the class you wish to run in. the track will be open on saturday for practice. we have arranged with an hotel to provid B&B and evening meal for those who wish to stay over night on saturday, if there is enough interest the cost would be, over 12 guests £25.00, under £30.00, as with the porsche challange, other people can take the evening meal with the guests, a chance for a pint and a natter befor the event at £5.00 per head, again please let me know your wishes. they have5 single rooms, 3 twins and 4 doubles + 3 mattresses as a standby. RULE tweeks RTR may be of any age, pre 1960, {if hard tyres are replaced, please dont forget the .320 width,latest issue car may be fitted with a better tyre. but no silicons}. you may run 1 car on all 4 lanes or a different car on each lane. if anyone has a few cars for display, pre 60,s please bring them along. i hope that has covered it regards mac p

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
I just sent you an eamail Mac, so hopefully I'll be there.

Hope so as I have started work on a couple of cars, progress picture below.

On the left, Atlas chassis and motor and on the right Tradeship motor and a Strombecker front end.
Behind is the VIP Cooper I'll use in the RTR class, all preped and ready to go

· mac pinches
2,134 Posts
All serious competitors know the advantage of smaller wheels, wider body,s, extreme limit on wheelbase/track, we all look for that edge when compeating within our chosen type of racing through out the year. With early birds im trying to achieve something more than just another retro meeting. i would like to see an easy going social event without pages of rules and regs, a meeting of old and new friends giving an outing to old and new RTR,s and scratch built scale models of early GP cars, a sort of Goodwood festival for slot cars with the models being more important than the winners or the setting of the fastest lap time. It has been said im either silly,naive or just foolish to think enterants will enter into the spirit of such a meeting, i believe they will, just to be part of something special for one day of the year and possibly an ongoing event, so gents im asking for your support to make this thing work and uphold the sririt of the meeting. mac p

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
This is very much how the Bordeaux event is run by Samy Behara.
Not too many regs. just the plea that cars be built to the 'spirit'

This is great for most people, who like myself, Mac and many others enjoy building the cars as much as racing and are not to bothered where they come in the competition.

But there are always people who will want to win at any costs (or in some cases whole nations
) so certain basic rules must be applied.

The easiest of these to enforce are simple dimensional ones, i.e. tyre width and diameter and ground clearance etc.

So why not have these rules in place to avoid disappointments on race day?

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
QUOTE (mac p @ 6 Dec 2004, 16:30)It has been said im either silly,naive or just foolish to think enterants will enter into the spirit of such a meeting, i believe they will, just to be part of something special for one day of the year and possibly an ongoing event, so gents im asking for your support to make this thing work and uphold the sririt of the meeting. mac p
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe you are any of those things Mac and I agree 100% that this event should be about having a good time messing about with some nice looking Grand Prix cars and having the opportunity to meet some of the people that we normally only chat to via SlotForum.

David

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Thinking a little more on dimensions of pre '60 F1 cars I wondered exactly how wide the .320" rule was in real life (hadn't thought about it before as I had just built my cars to scale tyre size), anyway it seems that 0.320" x 32 = 10.24" !!!

Didn't think F1 had anything approaching that until the late sixties

· mac pinches
2,134 Posts
Gentlemen, the entery list for the early bird GP is now full, we will be compiling a reserve entry list, if you wish to be registered on it please include your e-mail address. we have enlisted the help of a conservative, shy,retiring, softly spoken gentleman to cast his eye over the cars and up hold the spirit of the meeting, a Mr Ralph Parker
thank you for your support. mac p

· Administrator
11,657 Posts
Nice job Derek. So, what two motors did you use on the Alfa?
Not sure about those tires, or the pickup, but I don't have any better ideas for getting one under the nose... a pin? post in front of blade?
cheers,
Don

21 - 40 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.