SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I cleared my cache today and it then occured to me that the Slotforum home page takes a very long time to download for those of us who have dial up. In fact it is one of the slowest loading home pages I have encountered!

Whilst the ever extending home page looks pretty it could put off new visitors who have to wait such a long time for the home page to open. Surely its better to have a quick loading home page with links to pictures through the use of thumbnail images.

How do others feel about this?

Moped

·
Registered
107 Posts
It can be a pain to read threads with lots of included images, when you are on dial-up.

I'm a moderator on a photography forum and quite often have to ask people to trim down included images or provide links instead, as a courtesy to dial-up users.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Do you just live in the Pitlane Moped?

You should have replied to one of my existing threads about the development and upgrade of the Forum or posted in a more appropriate area.

We are limiting the size of photos on the Front page to 600 pixels wide and in the near future, we will have the ability for everyone to post attachments - which includes a thumbnail in the post, like this:

You can close boxes on the Front page and a cookie on your computer remembers which ones are open or closed. For the closed ones, it doesn't run the code inside. The news feeds for the 3 other forums take a while to load as the information has to be gathered from their forum each time it's loaded. If you don't read those, close the boxes. Same with the others.

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
I admit to not being too up to speed with computers - and many others might be too, and this may have been covered elsewhare- and if so I apologise.

Would it be possibe to set up a number of options so that when you sign on, Slot Forum remembers (whether by Cookies or simply by your name and password) what you like to see and it just shows those.

For instance if the non -UK news groups are not of interest it doesn't show them.

Maybe I am missing something in the technology - and I apoligise if I am.

J-c.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
You could try saving the Forum as your "favourites" page, then only click into Front Page when you want to.

I'm sure Nuro will have a more technically adept way of helping.

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Scott - as with all matters regarding the internet and computers I bow to your vastly superior knowledge.

One tip that I find helps is that by hitting the "enter" key hard a lot of times also seems to speed up the PC.

J-c

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am not up with the ins and out of how to do all this and nor will any newcomer be. I was just concerned at the speed which I had not really noticed until I cleared the cache on my PC. I run "Onspeed" (highly recommended for dial up users!
) and even with this engaged it was slow. Surely the default should be that the home page is a quick load and if you want to see more pictures then you start clicking?

Is it a good idea to create a gallery on the home page?

I will make the forum my favourite rather than the index page for the future but in offering that type of advice then there is an admission that maybe the homepage is a bit image heavy.

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not live within 5km of a BT switchboard and therefore I cannot upgrade to broadband. I really wish I could as it would solve SO many access issues around the house what with the family and all! And the cable companies have stopped digging trenches. And I live in a city suberb!

However "Onspeed" give me 6 times normal acceleration which is almost broadband speed and for only £25 per year. It really is well worth it!

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sorry Mope but I cannot help this...Anyone else see the irony here? It`s not just Sliot cars that you don`t want to `upgrade` or like the slot club the BT switch board is too far away! I`m sitting here laughing because no matter what it is that you are involved with you have to get stuck in to get the most out of it. Most of all listen to the people who do know and whom are good enough to help you. Simple

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Just for those of you who can't or won't change from a slow dialup connection...

In the middle of each page at the very bottom, is a button or highlighted text called "lo-fi version"

Click on this and explore the forum in text only format. From the brief explore I have done you just browse and part of or all of the Forum without pics and then go to the full forum standard to view the topic you want with full detail.

This sounds exactly what you wanted Moped, including the ability to post thumbnails linked to the full picture? This forum software IS extensive and very detailed/complex in its abilities, well worth exploring.

In fact, here are screenshots of your two best low connection speed options...

Front page set into 'lo-fi' mode...

Frontpage in 'hi-fi' mode but with all windows closed so you can choose which to open after initial download...

Good luck!

PS: what about cable connections??

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE I do not live within 5km of a BT switchboard and therefore I cannot upgrade to broadband. I really wish I could as it would solve SO many access issues around the house what with the family and all! And the cable companies have stopped digging trenches. And I live in a city suberb!

When was the last time you checked with BT?

I was under the impression that the distance limits had been removed.

There is an article here on the BBC News website with more details.

If you still can't get it, there are plenty of other options that are faster than dial up, though they do normally cost more.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that Jon.

My last check was at the beginning of September but having just done a check Wanadoo say its now available and BT say:-

QUOTE This line is not guaranteed to support BT Broadband Basic due to its length and further checks will be required. Most lines will be found to be suitable, but the order may take longer than normal to complete. If the line is unsuitable, we'll contact you and refund any payment made

Moped Towers has just rumbled with excitement at the prospect of broadband and it has been eagerly anticipated. There appears to be a 2Gigabyte limit though for the lowest cost service. Why do these firms always put some restriction on?

Moped

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I believe it's called "paying for services rendered"?

Besides....

QUOTE "Onspeed" give me 6 times normal acceleration which is almost broadband speed

.... in which case you don't really need broadband, right? Or was that an unexpected exaggeration?

G

·
Swissracer, how did you get the icons on your browser? mine are the standard mozilla naff ones?

S

Mod Message:
This topic was already borderline - at this point it crosses it.
Good question but please use PM or Email.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts