SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
SlotForum now offers RSS/XML Feeds of our latest news stories.

SlotForum News Feed

Scratch Building Feed

Events Feed

What is RSS?
RSS is an easy way for you to keep updated automatically on websites you like. Instead of you having to go to websites to see if they've written a new article or feature, you can use RSS (which stands for Really Simple Syndication) to get them to tell you every time they have something new. A RSS file is a XML (Xtended Markup Language) file that is read through a special reader or add-on to your browser.

SlotForum now offers RSS feeds (or channels) for the News section, the Scratch Building section and the Events section. We might increase the scope of this content if there is a demand.

How can I make use of RSS?
In general you need to get hold of a program called a News Reader. This displays RSS information feeds from your chosen websites on your computer.

How do I get a News Reader?
There are a range of different News Readers available; search Google to find links to the most popular RSS products, many of which are free to install. Check out the Firefox browser extension RSS reader.

Different News Readers work on different operating systems, so you will need to take this into account when you make your choice.

If you're looking for a News Reader, try the following:What I use: There is a RSS Feed Extension available for the Firefox Browser from Mozilla that integrates seamlessly allowing you to view your favorite feeds without having to load extra programs. Click here to see the Sage RSS extension for Mozilla.

How can I sign up to RSS feeds from SlotForum?
Go to the bottom of any SlotForum page. Click on the link or button that says 'RSS' on the left, corresponding to the Feed that you require..

You then need to follow the instructions for your particular News Reader in order to add this XML feed to your RSS list. When using the Sage RSS extension, you simply add the XML feed to your bookmarks in the directory that the News Reader looks for Feeds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE How can I sign up to RSS feeds from SlotForum?
Go to the Front Page of SlotForum (Portal). Click on the link or button that says 'RSS' on the left of the page, corresponding to the Feed that you require.

I've tried that, using FireFox 1.0.4 -- but all that happens is that it displays a message "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

That is followed in the browser window by a lengthy display of XML code beginning with:

"-<rss version="2.0">
-<channel>
SlotForum Scratch Building
http://www.slotforum.com/</link>
-<description>
Slot-car Portal - News, Resources, Reviews, Columns and Forums...."

I've not had this problem with any of the other RSS feeds I use, including BBC, the David Brin site, or even the homestarrunner RSS feed! Any suggestions?

thanks,
Marcus

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are seeing there is the feed itself. Save it in the bookmarks folder where you other feeds are saved and read it using your feed reader. It will then be displayed as normal.

BBC now uses a stylesheet to show or preview the feed, but after you drag the link, it shows up in your feed reader like any other feed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK, Nuro:

I made a copy of the BBC RSS button, then displayed its properties page by right-clicking on the copy. I also displayed the RSS properties for the Scratch Building feed, and copied the .xml address into the new button's properties. After that, it worked fine. Not exactly intuitive, and nowhere near as easy as clicking on the button at the BBC site to install it -- but it does work now. Thanks for the help.

Marcus

PS: I just noticed that the lower right corner of my browser is displaying an RSS button. If I'd just clicked on THAT, I could have added the feed directly, without all the other tergiversations. DUH! Oh, well. Hope nobody else makes the same mistake!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
We have modified the RSS Feed URLs.

If you use one or more of our RSS feeds, please update your feed settings in your feed reader.

For example, our News feed has changed from:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...rssout&id=1 (not used any more)
to:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...rssout&id=5

Remember that RSS feeds help you keep track of information without having to visit the site. You can use RSS feeds as a module on iGoogle. And you can set iGoogle to be your homepage so you can see what's happening on SlotForum as soon as you login to your PC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.