SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dear All,

My interest in slot cars is mainly to use them as roadways. I started off with Minic, which I exhibited with Tri-ang Railways for manny years. Along the way I got into Playcraft Highways, then Aurora, Faller AMS, Bauer, Tyco US-1 Trucking and finally my wife bought me a Life-Like High Iron and Burnin' Rubber combination set.

Here is a video a chum took of a combined road and rail layout we did at the Train Collectors Society event at Leicester in November 2016. A slightly smaller version of the same layout had been at Gaydon earlier in the year.

This layout combines Playcraft Railways and buildings with Aurora Model Motoring track, which was derived from the earlier Playcraft Highways track system. Playcraft also never made Level (Grade) Crossings or Crossroads (intersections). Hope this explains the right hand running!

There is a short section of Faller AMS single track as well.

The cars are a combination of many makes including Aurora, Playcraft (with replacement T Jet chassis) Faller, Bauer etc. On the upper teir we have some Tyco US-1 Trucking track and trucks. This is raised up on modified Life-Like Racing track supports, which allow more freedom with what can be placed below than the original Tyco ones!

I had hoped to be back at Gaydon this year with a layout combining Tyco US-1 with Life-Like trains, but I fell off a ladder instead! Hopefully I can go back in 2018!

James

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is timer that controls the two crossroads whilst the trains carry magnets that stop the cars at the level crossings!

Hopefully we can show you something different next time!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is the basis of what would have been the display this year, although as I was likely to have been on my own, I would probably have left out the single track Faller circuit!

This was the first outing of this at the Train Collectors Society event in Leicester in November 2014. As usual we have modules that control to the two grade crossings and further modules that operate the bell and the flashing wig wags. These are triggered by reeds sunk into the track that the magnets on the trains trigger.

The cars and roadways are mostly Tyco US-1, with a few Faller ones operating on half wave on the single circuit. The trains and buildings are mostly Life-Like, as are the supports on the High Level Trucking circuit. Interestingly both the Life-Like road and rail supports are wide enough to clear a roadway or railway placed below it. Never seen any other manufacturer think of doing that before.

I have one more project I am working on for the Train Collectors Show this November, but I am not sure that I would be allowed to post it here, as the cars and track at least are not actually 'vintage'.

James

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love that picture!

Yes sometimes they will, but less so with Tyco US-1 because of the double pick-ups!

The causes can be car or train going too fast, a control reed sticking, or a car just stalling on the crossing. The Aurora crossroads are the scene of more spills than the level crossings.

Sorry to disappoint, but the results are never as spectacular as your classic image and everything is soon working again!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks good, I'm sure you've consideed it, but a grassmat of some type seems like it could further add to the realism.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Guys,

Montparnasse Station 1895. Only one death despite the carange - A woman selling papers outside!

Thanks Dark, That is an interesting idea, but the main aim wasn't to go for 'realism', but about showing what a particular vintage range of toys can do.

I am very inspired by those massive Seaside type display layouts that Bertram Otto made, including the one I saw several times at Beauleiu. I would love to do a full scenic display layout on sectional boards etc, but the sheer logistics of transporting that around would be beyond me.

The 'loose-lay' type layouts that I do can fit in a medium sized car…... Everything is brought to the venue in crates and boxes and then clicked together and wired up on a cloth covered table top and off we go.

It can take a good few hours to set it all up, so we normally do this on the evening of the day before the show and finish off on the morning of the first day.

Over the years we have tried different coloured cloths for table coverings, including cream and grass green as you suggest, but we found that the brick coloured ones looked most appealing and showed the kit off to the best advantage.

A chum who took over exhibiting Tri-ang Railways and Minic Motorways after I stopped doing this in 2004 still uses the same colour cloths as us!

We are about to do a combination of LGB G Scale Trains and Carrera 1/24th scale….. We had toyed with using a grass base for that, but having decided that the layout is going to have an American desert theme, so we will probably stick to the brick cloths with that as well.

Here is a trial set up, on my lawn, but the final version will have a longer roadway inside the rail circuit, plus buildings etc.

This gives some idea of the amount of wiring involved in one of these set ups too! I appreciate that the cars and track are a litle new for this forum, but the trains are a good 30 years old! I ask for absolution for my posting this here!

James

Dave Whit'e superb automated Tri-ang/Minic Motorways with Model Land & Arkitex Layout is below

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts