SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're more used to converting static kits to slot cars, but over the years, modelers have also converted slot car bodies to static display models - probably because slot cars had a much wider range of race car models, especially in the vac-form version. Here are four examples I've found over the year, on ebay or in the diecast shop across the street from me!

First, the two vac-forms: an Indy car I think, maybe a Lotus 38, and then a big Maserati, maybe the 300S? Experts please pitch in! Two different approaches here: the open-wheel car has a pseudo slot car chassis, of soldered brass and piano wire, and even a can motor bracket, but model kit wheels and thin axle on the back. In fact, as I look at it, this one was probably indended as a slot car in the first place, because of the chassis and the front Cox Lotus wheels with 1/16" reducers... Either never finished, or partially disassembled and converted to a static.

The Maserati is also well painted and detailed, but the "chassis" is a rather slapdash affair, with miscellaneous bits of plastic from sprues and some nice wire wheels from a kit.

Sports equipment Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Toy

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Wheel Tire Hood Vehicle Toy

·
Administrator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the two hard-body static conversions, this time from regular slot car kits: a Russkit Cooper F1 and the Cox Ferrari Dino - both with drop arms and other extraneous chassis items removed, but keeping the original wheels and tires. I picked up both versions of the Dino, spyder and coupé, but have already the other body on a car. It's easy to find the Russkit drop arm, but harder for the Cox drop arm and motor plate!

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Skateboard

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I am reminded of the Cox offerings of several of their slot cars bodies as curbside display model kits.

I always thought that a decently painted/detailed vac formed body slot body could used to represent a good shelf model.

·
Administrator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, but I think they only did part of the first series: the Ferrari and BRM F1s, the Cheetah and the Chaparral. Don't think that Cox did the Lotus 40 or Ford GT as statics. The Dino would have made a good static kit too...

I remember a couple of the writers at the time talking about using vac-forms as shelf models, and there may have been an article or two.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
It's a 450S Maserati, the big brother to the 300S, Don.

300S = 3 liter, 450S = 4.5 liter.

Did those Lotus 38 vac bodies come with added inlet trumpets and spaghetti exhausts etc?

Fun post!

Andy

·
Administrator
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Andy - I did hesitate between the two, but the 300S popped into my mind first!

Not that I know of on the Lotus 38, and not sure who made this body. It looks longer than the ones I know, and nothing like the Russkit, which didn't have any trim parts at all. Both intakes and exhaust are molded as one-piece plastic units, so they must come from another static kit - probably IMC. Besides Russkit, Pactra also made this body according to the Car Model Handbook, but they also list one from Revell, which didn't make a Lotus 38!

Don

·
Registered
470 Posts
Interesting post and quite the coincidence given a slot car running gear "makeover" that I just recently completed. I have owned a Carrera Ferrari P4 for some years now and would occasionally run it in our 1/24 class. But it really was an absolute dog! Not only was the motor and straight line performance anemic, the handling was poor. I did try improve it is a slot car by just re-motoring it but with scant success. All that did was to turn it into a slightly-faster-in-a-straight-line dog! It is, however, a gorgeous model, so I had two options: rework it somewhat radically to make it run decently or just accept it as a pretty model. I decided on the former option, but while doing that, I did some before and after photographs to document the process. And to me, these photographs really highlighted how very pretty the Carrera model is. I think it would not be a bad static model at all. A better static model than slot car as it comes out the box, that's for sure! 😄

Before:

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive design

After:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Now it runs beautifully, so it has been saved from a static display future!

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
Don,
your Lotus 38 is in fact a Pactra BRP-Ford Indy car body with a Monogram exhaust and rear bumper.
The Maser 450S appears to be the Du-Bro model.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts