Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted a 25K yellow slot.it motor in sidewinder config. It is slower than a standard scalextric 18k motor and considerably slower than the orange endbell slot.it motors that I run with the same setup.

Gary recently installed an orange 21.5k motor in the same configuration and it is also painfully slow.

My question is are Slot.it motors timed? I notice they sell similar motors in three version. The first is with no pinion fitted, secondly with an in line pinion and thirdly with a sidewinder pinion. Or is it just possible they are just duff motors?

I ran the motor in gently for an hour or so. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If you over oiled the bearings during running in then all you have accompished is to deposit a carbon/copper fine particle paste onto the comm gaps and short the whole thin out. Take a part and wash in lighter fluid. Good luck.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No definately not over oiled. Been slot racing for nearly 38 years I wouldn't make that sort of mistake.Motor does not get hot or smelly. Just gutless.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had a 25k motor that was as slow as slow. Nothing i did made it any better so i dumped it. The 21k can suffer from this too. Some are like rockets others are total carp.

·
Rich Dumas
3,533 Posts
The yellow endbell motor should be much more powerful than a standard Scalextric motor. While Slot.it motors in general do vary a bit in performance I have yet to get one that is a dud. The timing should be neutaal or very close to it reguardless of the type and location of the pinion gear. The first thing to try is to flush the commutator with contact cleaner with the motor running at 6 volts. Sometimes dust from the brushes will get caught in the comm slots during break-in and cause a short. If that does not work you could return the motor or you could open it up so you can get a good look at the commutator and also mesure the resistance of all three poles. Make sure that the comm slots are clean before you take any measurments.

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Performance of motors are also related to the quality of your power supply. You don't mention what transformer and output you have. it could be possible that you don't have enough amperage.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
hi, i dont know about standard slot it motors but the 21000to 30000 motors most certainly do have advanced timed coms. they run anti clockwise looking at the bell end and clockwise looking from the can end. so if you put it in a standard inline set up bell end first with the drive gear on the left [looking down on it] you have to cross the pick up wire to make it run the right way, which gives you big negative timing and bad performance.ask me how i know! in fact ive got a yellow can arm sitting in front of me waiting for a rewind due to above mistake. all the best john.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like it's in a Scalextric car, make sure the shafts aren't rubbing against the tyres. They're a lot longer than Scaley ones.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just another quick thing to check, as I have just made this mistake, is to check the rear axle set-up.
I've just put a slot-it motor pod in a cheap fly lola but got the rear fixing screws slightly off and it put the rear bearings slightly out of line, making the rear axle stiff to turn.
My 1st thought was the motor but (as the motor and pod and axle was robbed from an old slot-it nissan) when I took the motor out it revved nicely. It wasn't until I tried spinning the rear axle by hand I noticed it was binding on the bearings.

On the subject of slot-it motors I've used about 50 various versions over the last 4 to 5 years for racing and only had 1 failure or poor performer. That was a flat 6r which the windings come adrift and siezed the motor during a race.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
QUOTE (oldgreenbee @ 7 Aug 2011, 02:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No definately not over oiled. Been slot racing for nearly 38 years I wouldn't make that sort of mistake.Motor does not get hot or smelly. Just gutless.

seems unusual that you would have TWO of these motors which you say are duds.

I have had about 20 setups with yellow bell motors, and over 100 with orange bell. While performance may vary within a 5% range, I have personally only had one un-oiled motor which was a bid of a misery.

I have run a number of orange bells in 3, 6 and 12 hour enduros, and most motors run a 12 hour un-changed, although some are getting a bit tired by the end of 12 hours hot running. The orange bell motor has about 25% more revs and 50% more torque than a Mabuchi S-can, and the Yellow bell is similar torque to the orange, and roughly 20% more revs, noticably faster again.
I currently have a yellow bell in sidewinder configuration entered in a proxy, and it is footing it happily with Slot.it flat-6R s, and NSR shark 25K motors, where it is sitting at the very pointy end at the halfway mark.

But the number of people who have Slot.it motor failures in enduros and proxies, then say, "sheesh, I only oiled it lightly"

ANY oiling of Slot.it motors at the brush end is "over-oiling". It isn't needed. Simply do not ever do it .....

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
They work fine on the usual 1amp 12-16volts Scalex setup, but they use more milliamps so you won't get any performance from these motors unless you use a low ohm controller like a 15 or 25 ohm (maximum) type. If you are using the normal Scalex controller then these will be slugguish and unresponsive.

But if you are using a quality controller, you seem to have useless motors so take them back to where you bought them and get a refund.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think it is a power problem. We are running 13.8volts with 80 amps available.
The best thing for me to try is the motor as an inline. This way it will be running the other way.

Just to mention it is running in a new Slot.it Toyota. When I get time I will try a good orange motor that I have just to see how it goes. I still think this is a suspect motor.

thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
The Slot.it motors at our club have become so unreliable there was a rebellion and our racers can now replace these with a similar RPM NSR motor.

Pity the Slot.its are great other than the motors.

Ray

·
Johnny Fuglestad
417 Posts
QUOTE (Ratracer @ 11 Aug 2011, 13:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Slot.it motors at our club have become so unreliable there was a rebellion and our racers can now replace these with a similar RPM NSR motor.

Pity the Slot.its are great other than the motors.

Ray

Same at our club.

·
Rich Dumas
3,533 Posts
We only had problems with Slot.it 21.5K motors when they were first introduced. We use those as the standard motor in one of our classes and have run them for several years with no failures at all. One thing to remember is that the 21.5s and a good Scalextric motor both turn the same RPMs, but the 21.5s have twice the torque and you need to adjust your gear ratios accordingly.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Hey RichD not much good if the go bang.

Ray

·
Rich Dumas
3,533 Posts
I guess not, perhaps the problem is that the motors only run well in the northern hemisphere, something to do with the Coriolis effect. Maybe you should run your motors the other way and see what happens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well a good amount of opinions on slot.it motors. I am still convinced it's a timing issue. Last night I purchased a V12/3-25 with a sidewinder pinion fitted from a fellow club member that is new sealed in its packet.

It says on the packet MF07 Endbell Drv Sidew. If this don't work it will be an NSR Shark next week. However I suspect the replacement slot.it will work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts