SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The announced entry list for the upcoming Small Car Proxy Race (micro car division) seems to be dominated by monster Mini's with an hyperactive width gene and steam roller tires.

In order to try and compete with these 1000 (1200?) cc mutants, I am going to try and release the inner Group 5 spirit from my 360 cc Mazda.

I am basing my car on 1/43 Artin internals for simplicity. I just finished a Mazda 360 drag car, but the center of gravity of that car was somewhere near it's roof, which is where it would end up in a road race. So to start I need to lower the body.

With apologies to Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I conducted a few tests.

This original one is too tall.

This one is better,

This one is just right.

Now, to eliminate the slammed SoCal look and widen the track, I have to get those tires under some bodywork and add some aerodynamic aids to direct the power generated by that turbocharged 360 cc motor!

Hmmm, now what would be a good precedent...

Can I make this work? Can I get it done in time?

JT

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You could go "Barchetta" style and cut off the roof and windscreen - if the rules allow it of course...

Coop

P.S. Good to see this car appear on slotforum, I've admired it on the other slot boards!

·
Registered
979 Posts
JT, nice work and I like the idea.

I have been working on something myself for some time, using the same Arii Mazda kit, I widened the wheel arches, and used some old Scalextric Metro wheels.

I will try and post some pics tonight.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Coop -- I had also thought of the "barchetta" version (especially after receiving this opened eBay win with one broken pillar and a decided side lean to the roof!) but the rules discourage vertical "chopping."

Gecko -- Let's see some photos! I saw your post elsewhere on this site that you had this car, (and saw the box photo - race version) after I had won this on eBay and thought I had been trumped! But it will be good to see your take on the model, you did a nice job on that Sauber.

Wasn't it you who were also considering the orange/green or blue/white LeMans livery? After my research that's about it for Mazda racing schemes, pretty small pickings, especially for a vehicle that in the US at least uses "Zoom, Zoom" as its slogan. I'm leaning towards a variation in silver and green, inspired by Jaguar's colors. At least they're in the Ford family. But I've got a long way to go!

I really like the look of this car very fresh and clean lines for a vehicle from this era, I think it would be ideal for a "retro-futurism" version from Ford-Mazda. Isn't the Ford Ka something like this? Don't have them over here. We'll have to drop a note to J. Mays...

A Japanese friend loaned me some back issues of Nostalgic Hero magazine (gotta love those slightly off-kilter english titles in an otherwise Japanese publication). These beautiful glossy, thick papered issues cover the vintage Japanese car market and are full of Scooby 360s and Toyota Crowns, 2000s and Corollas and most of the other cars in the ARii series, but there is not a photo of a 360 to be found! Could it be its too modern to look vintage?

JT

·
Registered
979 Posts
Cheers JT for the comment about the Sauber.

I will post some pics of the Mazda as soon as I get home this evening. At the moment it has been sprayed gunmetal grey, but when you mentioned the orange/green livery it got me thinking (sorry if that is what you had planned!).

Anyway, look out later on and I will post some pics.

Cheers

Mark

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
'Twas I who was thinking of "proper" Mazda liveries here to follow on from my Scoobie.

My Mazda is the Carol-still 360 cc, but with "family" body. Swiss had one of the racy coupes like yours JT!

No reason for there not to be several Mazdas in "Mazda" livery as far as I can see!

Mr.M

·
Registered
39 Posts
JT, very nice work on the finished drag car. I can't wait to see how the road race car develops!

In reference to the drag car, what Artin wheels are those? The stock Muscle Car ones with some paint on the inners? I'm building a Honda N360 on an Artin chassis, too, but I don't like the current skinny wheels.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (redlynr @ 7 Jan 2005, 19:02)I'm building a Honda N360 on an Artin chassis, too, but I don't like the current skinny wheels.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All but one of my Artin 1:43 have wide rear wheels. The only car I have with skinny wheels is a Camaro Z28 - the rears on that are sort of flat with bowl shaped depressions all the way around. If you want some thick wheels (and are in the UK) try your nearest branch of BHS - mine had some Artin figure of eight sets in the Sale for £7.50 with two Indy Cars complete with big slicks. Index sell a figure eight with two 350Zs for £9.99 but I don't know if these have the bigger rears although I suspect so based on a side-on photo I saw.

To my eye those are standard Artin wheels and tyres front and back with a little bit of black paint detailing.

It looks like you've been unlucky and picked up one of the few Artin 43rds not to feature the rears you really want!

Coop

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all!

Gecko -- I've no patent on the Renown "argyle sock design" but Johnny Hebert is driving my car!

I like the dashed lines and green but the orange is a bit strong. The rear cowling on the Renown car is actually....silver! Pretty close to gunmetal gray, but your car will look brilliant in orange!

Mr. M -- sorry for the confusion on the color schemes. Seems like we have quite a Mazda class started!

For the factory teams:

Hmmm, wonder how that biplane rear wing would work on a 360...?

Redlynr -- Thanks! I can't wait to see this finished either
The wheels on the drag car are from the Stock Car Challenge cars I think. The rear tires also, but the front tires were swapped onto the drag car rims and are narrower (in drag car custom) from a narrower (older?) Mustang. You can see the nice edge radius and some tread grooves in this progress shot of the drag car:

Coop -- You know your Artin! Yes I did put a black wash on the rims. According to P Marchand at HRW 1/43 the new Artin CART rear tires are 21 mm in dia, by 11.5 mm wide, even larger than my 17 mm drag rears ( I hope to turn them down a bit, they do true up quickly). One note, some of these tires are way out of round.

Now I have to steady my hand and pick up the razor knife and get to work!

JT

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've come out of the basement for some air.

A couple of hours of scribing, a few knife cuts in my fingers and I've got a two piece body.

I was going to cut off each fender/quarter panel separately. But I would have had a Humpty Dumpty situation on my hands (all the kings horses and all the kings men...). So I've kept them in one piece for now.

If I sneeze while holding it, it'll break into even smaller pieces.

Plenty of air into the brakes and engine now. I've got to widen the track to fill out the additional space. I'll have to arch the wheel wells into that horizontal feature line, I wanted to avoid that. I'll thin out the plastic on any visible edges (behind the front wheels and in front of the rear).

Glueing in the filler panels is going to be interesting

If it doesn't work out, I can always try jalopy racing

JT

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, my little Mazda, what do you want to be when you grow up?

If I'm going to follow a Group 5 precedent, I might as well stick with the mother of all silhouette racers! What was I thinking, channeling BMWs and Capris !
From now on this is a 360 Langheck!

Rear wing is the original lower front apron turned upside down and temporarily supported by a folded business card supports, GT2 style. I'm thinking of making the support out of thin folded brass or al-u-min-i-um
for strength.

Left and right fenders have been rejoined with spacers and front apron air dam added. Front splitter needs to be glued in place. Wheel wells were cut taller, maybe a bit more to go, especially in the rear.

Turned down the front tires. Now have to make some brake cooling discs for the wheels. Only three bandaids on that hand today!

JT

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Looking Sweet!

You are producing the first retro built Rice Racer!
Don't forget the blue neon lights under the sills and behind the front grille OR the ICE !

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Wow, can't wait to see the finished article!

It's shaping up nicely... just don't put so much effort into it that you don't want to send it away!

Andy

·
Registered
979 Posts
Awesome JT, just awesome!

Sorry I haven't posted my pics yet, but the project just needs some fine tweaking before I unleash it on the world.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swiss, McLaren & Mark,

Thanks for the good words! I'm working in unknown territory for me.

Swiss, the blue neon I understand, but I'm lost on the ICE??? I was going for the baby euro racer coupe, but maybe a carbon fiber hood, a fat exhaust, an NOS bottle and some tribal graphics will set me up? But I'll have to turn down the tires more, not even close to 30 series....

QUOTE ... just don't put so much effort into it that you don't want to send it away

Andy, that's why I'm entering it in a proxy race, I wouldn't have the heart to drive it myself - or even be there in person!

Mark, yes we need pictures!

JT

·
Registered
979 Posts
JT - 'ICE' means the type of sound system the car might have.

Lots of huge speakers, flashing lights and bass boxes, very 'Max Power' and probably a bikini clad babe drapped across the car!

Mark

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Stands for In Car Entertainment, and can include visuals as well as audio.

Don't worry JT, we will be very careful with it!

Andy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE Stands for In Car Entertainment

QUOTE JT - 'ICE' means the type of sound system the car might have.

Thanks for the translation guys, but...Now I officially feel old!

I may be a few years past 40, have a family, a mortgage, and a managment job - but hey, I test drove a Scion bB! I have an Ipod! I have a snowboard! I can drop in from a 7' halfpipe on my rollerblades (well I could a few years ago...then I sprained my hand skating and broke my hand boarding, rediscovered slotcars while net surfing one-handed and came to my senses
)

Thanks for the keeping me hip! (Is "hip" still hip? Keeping it real? Phat??)

How about,

Toodle pip for now!

JT

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
QUOTE Stands for In Car Entertainment
I thought its stood for 'I can't earyou"

Is it me or does the silloutte of this car resemble a squashed up series 1 RX-7,
perhaps that is where the rx-7 stylists got their inspiration from.
Cheers LB

1 - 20 of 97 Posts