SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this posting so I thought I would open a new thread for finished cars to take part in Mclaren's Small Car proxy event.

Body is Scalextric Mini Clubman from around the early eighties, (my kids used to race it!), arches were cut off and repositioned over enlarged wheel openings and additional arch sections grafted on. Finished with good old "Chip & Dent" filler. Front spoiler is carved from a chunk of Plasticard.

Interior is card and Lexan with driver blob from Patto's.

Chassis is PCB with Slot.it Inline Flex pod together with Slot.it motor and running gear and not a magnet in sight.
Wheels are NSR low profile, (about 1mm!), alloys.

Tried it out tonight and it doesn't perform like the old Scaley cars so I'm fairly pleased, now who else has finished a car?.....

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Aaaaggghhh!!!

That looks great BJ! And I've barely even started mine....

I have the body and chassis material at my house. I've cut the chassis to size and mounted the motor mount (Slot.It, so rear axel mounts included). I've also cleaned up the resin body and prepped it so it's ready for spraying.

All I have to do now is:

- Mount front axel (any ideas how guys?)
- Mount guide (need to find a trailing guide and guide holder from somewhere)
- Dremel out the interior and replace it with a light weight one
- Find out how to make a windscreen for it (thought it car with the body
)
- Mount the body to the chassis
- Paint it

So not much left then...

I'll be going home tomorrow, so there's a chance of pictures of where I'm up to, and a bit more work on it.

Damn you BJ, making us look bad already...

McLaren

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ahah, knew it! Jägermeister and PCB just as I suspected! Looks great

How about a peek at the chassis too Alan?

Coincidentally I was planning on a mini too. For nostalgic reasons. One of my first kit built cars was one of those old Airfix jobbies. Blue with a white roof it was

Gah, I'm going all mushy eyed
Get me a hanky someone - just not one from the howmet household

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments Guys.

No chassis pictures at present, I'm afraid. Not because I have anything to hide, but I don't have my Digital camera, #1 son has decided to borrow it for a few days.

The guide used was the Sakatsu trailing guide, but I had to modify it significantly in order to negotiate radius one bends and to accept front power feeds.

Minimetal, I know what you mean, they are much bigger than a scale 13", in fact they are more like 16", but this is a Proxy car, and you build the car to comply with the Rules, so if no maximum wheel size is specified you can use what you like. I've got to admit I've really been wanting to try these out for ages, but not had a suitable car.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
303 Posts
Gimme gimme gimme!!!

Look its almost the same colour as my real one.
I really must pull my finger out and get on with mine, using a bell nose though cos evidently it takes 8BHP less to push it through the air at 70 MPH

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Where's the original thread on this race chaps? Am I still in with a shout at entering?

Basically, having sworn off all other forms of motor sport except my beloved NASCARs this site has got me all enthusiastic about life in general once again.

Now not only am I preparing to clear some space to build a Mac Pinches-based 1930s Grand Prix grid, but today I rather randomly bought an OCA Volkswagen camper kit from Pendle to build for my beloved... well if she insists on making me spend soggy summer days sitting in a 33-year-old car with curtains, she can chuffing well revive her interest in slotting!

Anyway, while I was at it I bought OCA's 1948-style VW Beetle body with the split rear window and suitable Pink Kar parts to give it life. My intention is to make it into a pre-war KdF-Wagen to sit chummily alongside Mac's Silver Arrows, but if it's elligible for the proxy I'd love to give it a run.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Fantastic news!

It's going to be almost all Pink Kar below the waterline, so I don't suppose it will be setting the track on fire (but may profit if nobody manages to convince their Scaley Minis to remain on all fours).

Still, with the judicious application of ballast to compensate for the lack of mags it should at least provide some entertainment, and I guess I'll just have to go all-out for the concours.

At least the pain job will be relatively straightforward!

Thanks all - looking forward to my KdF even more now!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey,

I've been working on my Mini too, not quite finished yet though.

Please note that this is first ever attempt at building a proxy car.

The arches have been built out using plastic from an Ice-Cream tub and some cheap PolyFiller (from my local 'Focus Do-It-All' for £1.50), so that I could squeeze those slot-it small hubs on. It now sits at 55mm wide.

So all I need to do now is make an interior, finish the paint and mount the body to the chassis.

James

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks Alan,
It's powered by a (rather used) 26k rpm Slot-It V12 at the moment, thats sat in a slot-it mount. The mount almost makes up the whole chassis, the front axle is glued to the screw posts at the front end of it! (Of course there is alittle more to it that that).

Hopefully test it at Pendle this week,

James

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.