SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

this will be my first topic here, feel free to comment and to advice. I will use this to ask advice and to share the progress of the building of the track for those interested.

It all started when I found my old Antic 4 lane track, which I used to play with as a kid. With some friends I build the track, only to be disappointed when we finally found out it did not work anymore.

But we got enthusiastic for the slotcar scene and started to look what was on the market nowadays. Before I knew it I bought a secondhand N-Digital Mastertrack and my friends and I bought some cars.

First we put the track on the floor at the loft and had some great fun with getting used to it, we read about the different ways to keep track of our laptimes (I have an old powerbase which does not send the laptimes out) and we got excited by the many great tracks on this and other forums. The track couldn't stay on the floor forever so I started to build a table, with the support of my friends. The next pictures will show the current situation.

Open:

Closed:

The table has a size of 2.60m * 1.35m (8.5 * 4.4 feet), which is perfect for the basic N-Digital Mastertrack layout which fits in a 8*4 square. The collapsed table can hold things with a max height of 22cm, which is enough for the basic track.

This is the default layout of the track:

Currently I am busy with painting the table, the next steps I am planning, and on which advice would be greatly appreciated, are:
- Find a way to support the table when it is open. Should I use chains/rope or some basic fold able legs. I think it will be a solution with some basis fold able legs (the onces you buy at the hardware store to f.e. paint doors, don't know the english word for it) which I can easily put aside when not using the table and which seems to give the best support.
- Place a track! :) We really like the basic layout, it gives us laptimes of 6 a 7 seconds with ninco 1 cars, but I am afraid it will be difficult to place it firmly to the table. The track should withstand the opening and closing of the table. I am also planning to enclose the track with f.e. MDF, but I am afraid this will be to heavy for the table. I already saw other solution with some sort of carpet, but I am not sure of that. Maybe we should just go for an easier layout without height difference (paperclip like).

Any remarks and comments are welcome, I will update this topic when I have some new things to show.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice solution.

How did you attach the bulkhead @ the top to your ceiling. What material is it?

I like the idea of a cable or chain, rather than sawhorses (the legs you mentioned) for supporting the open table. The hinges stabilize it sufficiently so it won't move laterally.

There are clips, silicone, or screws and nails that you can use to secure the track to the table. If you are worried about adding weight, there are foam materials you can use for borders and filling in between track surfaces that have very little weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bulkheads are large wooden beams, which already were at the loft. It runs over the whole width of the house. They are attached to the outer walls with something like this:

This was the situation before the table was installed:

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice fold down table.

given that it only folds up to 45 degrees or so i would expect that you'd only need some stops to prevent the track from sliding rather than actually securing to the table. even snugly cut mdf could sit in between the track pieces and form a basis for a bit of scenery, somewhere to stick the odd tree etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A small update, I finished painting the table and added 2 small slats to enclose the mdf/track.
We made a few changes to the basic track layout which resolved in the following layout:

We removed one elevated section, made some small changes to the track, get the rms working and tested the layout.

Next step is to fill the table with 4mm mdf on which the track will be placed and on which scenery etc can be attached. The we will use 8mm mdf to create some borders which will enclose the track, so it will not slide when the table is closed.

It's still a work in progress, but it is nice to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another update, it been a month, but we've been busy expanding the car collection and been racing every week.

We now use Ultimate Racer as RMS with a Ninco multilane sensor as hardware. This works reasonably, although we have some issues with cars being wrongly recognized, which seems to be related to certain chips in combination with some ports (1-8) the controller of the car is connected to.

We have put 4mm MDF plates on the table and painted them green. The track lays on the MDF plates now -->

Most will recognize how enthusiastic you can get, this is the collection we already have build up in the past months. (3 men)

As scenery we have a few trees from the Christmas sale, and 2 small Carrera pitoboxes. The trees and the scenery will be attachted to the mdf plates when the track is secured to the plates.

Our helpful marshal:

Now we are working on securing the track the the plates, I noticed small holes in the Ninco borders and was planning to nail those to the plates. We are also using some 8mm mdf to fill up the two first inner corners after start/finish. If everything is secured we should be able to close the table again.

After securing the track, we should start with the scenery. This are our first step in the slotcar world, so it would probably be mostly some basic "plug and play" scenery ;-)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi boess

Nice track dude.
That marshall of yours looks like a big race fan.
How about a furry mouse car with a tail ?
( I know, no kitty's on the track ! Ours just didn't know what to make of those cars blasting round )

Cheers

Si.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts