SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to put a question like this, so hopefully this is a good place.

I'm looking to buy a small lathe, but I'm not sure what to get. In years gone by I had one of the original Unimat SL with the round bar bed, and then traded up to a an EMCO 8.6. That was a much bigger machine and I'm not sure I need (or can afford) anything that big again. Most of what Im wanting to do now revolves around making stuff for scratchbuilt slot cars, but I still do some RC racing so I don't want to go too small on the center height or the power of the machine.

I still see some Unimat machines for sale, and then I have seen the Prazi and the Sherline stuff too, so my question is:

Who has experience with each of these and can you give me any Pro's and Con's of each one?

Thanks - I appreciate the help!

· Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fergy - thanks for the snappy feedback.

Just looking at the prices, I can get a Sherline for about half of what a Prazi or an EMCO Compact 5 would cost, so that looks like a good deal even though it's a little smaller machine.

I've found a Sherline dealer about four blocks from my house - just need to find out whether he has stock that I can look at up close and then that's probably going to clinch the deal.

· Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Great link - thanks for that!

I finally broke down and bought the 7X10 Chinese Mini lathe from Harbor Freight. It's a bargain when you consider what you get for the price. Now I still need to be sure that the accuracy is up to snuff, but it certainly looks good so far (only took delivery yesterday!)

The mini-lathes.com site listed in Nick's link has tons of good info on extracting the best performance from these machines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.