SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had the idea to make a diorama, to be able to make some pictures of my cars with a little background. While making a sketch I thought i would be nice to make it a little bit bigger and working so I ended up with a small testtrack
.I started with one sheet of 60x120cm but lenghten it measures to 60x180cm ( 2x6 feet). It's a single lane track of two loops, so there is a lanecrossing in the middle.

I also wanted to experiment with wood. As I don't have a routing machine, the board consist of two layers of mdf. The top layer is 9mm thick in which I saw the slots, the bottom layer is 6mm. I glued the two layers together.

I use the 9mm mdf also for two walls, they are sawed from a left over piece of the original sheets of 60x120cm

Than it was time to paint the track. I used blackboard paint mixed with white primer to get a grey tone with a matt finish. I used a small paintroller to apply the paint and tried by added a liitle white prime now and than to the paint to get a little bit of live colour. Also tried to make the suggestion that the tracks goes beyond the part you see by painting the track straight through

Here's the paint still a little bit wet, so still glossy. The walls are painted just with white primer and glued to their position. In the meantime I cut some scalextric crashbarriers( i remove the under part)

Thees are two picture of yesterday. In the meantime I added white lines. Unfortunately it's getting to cold in my garage to apply the coppertape i start with some basic landscape modeling. Anyway, anybody a suggestion for a name for tis testtrack, something italian?

to be continued....

ernst

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am very impressed - small with lots of potential... looks like you have the makings of a crackin lil track. I am intrigued as to how you have sawed the slots?
However - at this early stage - things are looking good and best of luck

CooLS

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Very nice idea and execution is looking great too. How about Fiorano Bambini or Fiorano Mini ........?

Farrout

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (CoolScientist @ 28 Feb 2005, 22:37)I am very impressed - small with lots of potential... looks like you have the makings of a crackin lil track. I am intrigued as to how you have sawed the slots?
However - at this early stage - things are looking good and best of luck

CooLS
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know the english word, but it's this machine:

for one slot I saw twice
EDIT: a jig-saw
thanks for nice words guys, maybe tonight some coppertape

ernst

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (fred42fr @ 1 Mar 2005, 20:40)Your project is impressive : keep us updated

One question though : if your goal is to drive only one car at a time on this track, why did you saw 2 lanes and one crossover
?

Fred
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fred -

he has actually only 1 lane. The single crossover makes it a single track - so the car does 2 loops for 1 lap. In essence, this allows for a single lap to be twice the lap length. For a track that is just for testing this allows a single driver more scope for testing - eg 4 differnent radia of curve. Admittedly on such a small circuit, top speed wouldnt be a valid test, but car handling would be certainly tested. With the correct paint texture and the right tyre and grip set up, it would be an awesome drift test.
Its actually c;ever way of designing a small track to give lost of enjoyment and fun - not foretting the serious side of testing also.
CoolS
CoolS

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ernst,

Nice job! You've got the right attitude: just do it.

I made a smaller track 30" x 40" out of Gatorfoam (foamcore with resin reinforced face sheets) to test/learn routing and to take photos.

Remember to "stretch" the tape to eliminate wrinkles on the corners if you haven't done this before.

I had a lot of fun using water color to paint driver names tire marks, sand on the edges, etc. on the road

For good photos, scenery doesn't need to be permanent. The foam, sawdust and shrubs were all placed loose for these photos and moved to cover gaps etc.

More photos here:

Gatorfoam Track

JT

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Fred
coolscientist is right. And there is another option for the future. On the left side of the plan the tracks/roads are painted straight on but slots make a turn. If I build an extension, also with two slots it can be add and the whole becomes "a normal 2 laner" (with a little changement inthe corner on the leftside)

JT,
enjoyed your track, was one of the inspiration for me to build mine track

ernst

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here are some pics of the progress. Because of the cold weather and the low temperatures here in holland I didn't do to much, because the garage has no heater.
The copper tape is now on the slots and i started some landscaping. The basis are pieces of pur foam glued together. I also added a little wall.

ernst

·
Dave Kennedy
541 Posts
I really like that track. My track is small too. It's only 10x4 (and 4' at the widest end only) with a longest lap length of 22'. I consider it a large diarama since scenery is just about as important to me as racing cars.

DK

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that the Can-Am proxy racer is finished, I spend some time on the cicuit. Track is running and a lot of greening is done. Still a large tree to make and to plant near the service parking. Here two pics to snif the atmosphere

three generations of Alfa Romeo's resting after some wild rounds. The tlarge tree will give them some shade......

First steps of the good old Ford GT40 from the Scalextric startset on the track..

ernst

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
old slotracer,

I thought about that, but my jigsaw is the snap and klick fitting type for the blade. Even considered a thick ceramic blade but that was also to thin. After the cutting kind of routed the slot with a 3mm drill. Would you like some pictures for your site?

ernst

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen in some of the "We Sell Everything Cheap" shops, some routers for about £30 [$50US] which I would probably buy to do my first track. Thinking of getting the wood at the weekend for a play about, gonna do a completely freehand 2 lane complex figure of 8 with a couple of lane crossovers. no elevation either.

Last time I cut some wood was 12yrs ago at school, so it should be fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.