Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi ther all..

Here's another one of my more "unusual" slot car conversions to make you "smile"....

Started out as a diecast (but very light and small) BMW Isetta "Bubble car"...

I used part of the original plastic chassis, and joined it to a Scalextric "Micro" chassis. Used the original Pin for the slot guide, and it is front wheel drive. Wheels and tyes are from the original car..
Detailed up the plastic interior and body, and there you are, possibly the smallest 1:32 (near enough) slot car around.

It runs great on plastic track, unfortunately on the Pendle wooden track, it goes well until it comes to the track joints, which it dosent like, and normally flips over..
.... "great fun though" ....

Here are some photos..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Claus and Robert...

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hi Martin, This latest conversion of your's brings back to my mind, an idea I had when I saw your Morris 1000 Ice cream van, I'm going to attempt a conversion on this Piaggio Ice cream truck, I'll let you know how I get on. Kind Regards Jason

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jason... That would be "Cool" ...

All the best.. Martin.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
What a lovely neat job, you make it look easy

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
so cool!

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris.... Working on a driver at the moment, a very "Small" one....

All the best.. Martin.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Martin, the passenger in the new Cherry Blossom mini looks uncomfortable enough that he'd make a driver for the Isetta You might need to adjust him so that he sits with his knees up under his chin, but I think he'd be a great starting point.

Love your work.
Embs

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (Kustomart @ 6 Dec 2011, 17:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Chris.... Working on a driver at the moment, a very "Small" one....

Very cool. Instead of a driver, you could always just give it a big pair of Disney eyes...

Yeah, I know they're not the right cars, but they're small, and very cute with their big pairs of Disney eyes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Very Nice Martin! Great feat of engineering. I've often wondered why no one has ever made a injection molded car or even a resin body of this car? Hint hint!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Martin, thanks for your great howto with photo's!

I wanted to convert my Isettas too but was a little at a loss on how to proceed. (Somebody on ebay offered them converted, but he used the complete Micro chassis and Micro wheels)
Your solution is much more elegant, and practical too, since the whole thing can be disassembled with the one original screw. (still quite a lot of work, so I quit after converting 2 out of 3...)

As guidepin I used a double bent (thick) needlepin covered with heatshrink. Initially my plan was to digitize them for SSD (probably had to paint the windows black to hide the chip then) but since the guidepin is too small to trigger the powerbase lapcounter, I gave up on that plan. So it's strictly analog "trying to keep up with each other" fun!

Here coming just out of a turn the Red Isetta is making a bold move on the blue one:

And he is nearly abeam, but the Blue one has the inside of the curve, however the marshall is showing him the blue flag, but this must be clearly a mistake on the marshalls' part...

Tata!

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi there MartinT..

So pleased the information and advice helped with your "Isetta" conversions, they look great....

I expect having two to race each other, is great fun. I must find the time and convert another one myself, so I also have a pair...

"Great Stuff"... Have fun with them..

All the best.. Martin.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (MartinT @ 12 Feb 2012, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Slowest passing manoeuvre ever?
Perhaps the blue flag was no mistake and the marshal knows that the fellow in the red Isetta is actually pedaling.

Now imagine 6 of them, chipped and running a digital series. How much fun would that be to watch?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts