SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 8 Jan 2016, 01:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will you be showing these off at the UKSF?

I gather each black box goes back to a USB port on your PC which also powers the sensors, what the power needed for each black box, I gather it's minimal so shouldn't overload a board of two or more are connected or would you recommend an external
Powers USB hub?

I see these being great as 4 lanes with a pit lane and two or four sectors for timing when this part is implemented.

I live in Denmark, so I wont come to the UKSF ( I guees its the annual Slotcar Conference (please correct me if im wrong), although it could be allot of fun.

Welcome is now with W Thank you :) I might be good at coding and electronics, but not at spelling :)

The SmartSensors do need to have an USB connection each to the computer. It does however not consume allot of power so you can easily run several of them without extra power, but when buying a USB-hub, I would recommend one with external powersurply so you will be ready for more equipment. I see alot of stuff, where powering through USB is a good option. Running the APB through an USB HUB has been less than perfect in my experience, but the amount of communication to and from even a lot of SmartSensors is so small, so it would not be a problem. Starlight however, directly attached to many SmartSensors, could consume enough power to require an external powersupply.

Kåre

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Kåre,

Yes it is the biggest annual slot car even in the UK (possibly europe) and is now spread over two days.

Lots of small sellers hire tables to show off their wares such as Chase-Cars, Tru-Speed and SCS were here a couple of years ago which was good as I was able to find out it was the solution for me and buy a compete set so it may pay to come just so that more people can see the product, you might even get orders to bring with you to be collected

Colin

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi all slotracers

Here is an update of my progress of the SmartSystem:

After day and nights of coding, I have now a working version on my test environment. In the current version, I can induvidually set every sensor on the APB and on any numbers of SmartSensors to work as either S/F, Pit-in, Pit-out or disabled. The attached screenshot gives you an idea of what to expect.
when installing the SmartSystem, it will automatically install the new virtual com-ports, and after setting the correct port to the APB, setting up the SmartSensors and choosing your RMS your ready to go. You will need to start the SmartSystem, before starting you RMS, to make sure that the RMS don't "steal" the ports.

I still need to add support for SS-mode for RCS64, and get the StartLights to work for all RMS.

So now is the time to get all those crazy ideas on the table. I'm thinking about about adding support for pit limits, so only some cars can enter a pit, but I will only do this if its something you guys would like to have. Any other Ideas?

I am currently planning the first test drive of the system, and I cant wait to post images, and tell you how it went.

Until Next time

Kåre

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I can also add that Guy from PCLapCounter is working on adding full support for the SmartSensor now :)

and because of the SmartSystem, The SmartSensor way of knowing what is the difference between pit in and pit out, now can be added to SSDC

All in all I cant wait to get his thing working on my own track

Kåre

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hi all

Yesterday we had the first real trial of the SmartSystem on a real track. After some initial tweaks and bug fixing, we had the system up and running on SSDC, and a RCS64. The system works great, we moved the S/F to the point where Singer always whanted to have it, but could not because of the Pit, and used an extra SmartSensor to do so. I disabled the sensors in the PB (dropdown in the SmartSensor GUI), so only the new SmartSensor S/F was in operation, and it worked perfectly. One important thing we tested was if we wehere able to feel the extra component in the communication line, and no, the extra lack is in the range of 2-3 ms, so we could not feal anything, and when running on my PC (I7) the SmartSystem used 3-4% of CPU. All in all we had a great test and when I have made some minor changes and fully incoperated RCS64, and startlight, im ready for a more full scale testing. For this test im seeking beta-testers, both for SSDC, PCLC and RCS64 users. only requirement is that you have a SmartSensor :)

So if your interested, PM me or email me (kaare(at)seras.dk).

Im really looking forward to present my work to all of you :)

Kåre

·
Registered
272 Posts
have few questions having problems down loading the drivers on to my lap top.problem is with the computer. for some reason Im not able to connect with the internet. even with hard line hooked up. I should be able to down load and burn needed drivers onto a cd and load onto lap top. 2nd question. that just a normal usb cable correct? need a few more feet to reach the pit in and out on my track.have a very long pit lane 20 feet

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi Docdoom

You can download the drivers and install them using a usb-drive or cd as you like. The cable is a standard USB cable, so you can use whatever A-B USB cable you have :)

Have fun

·
Prof I T
11,172 Posts
Hi
Updates by Microsoft were stopped over twelve months ago for xp so you will need to update your os to Windows 7 or higher,that's my understanding anyway &#128533;

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (Kåre @ 9 Apr 2016, 15:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can lengthen the cables. I have tested up to 10 meters.
Docdoom,
If the same format cables that I got with my SmartSensor, fitted with a 2.5mm jack plug, have been used for your sensors, you might find it simpler and easier than cutting the cable, to use pre-made extension cables with sockets and plugs already fitted - like the Scaley throttle extension cables.
Also, the cheaper generic audio cable extensions, which Mr Flipppant linked to in another thread, are just as effective as the Scaley ones.

Chris

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
With all newer SmartSensors, you can extend the cable using a 3,5mm minijack stereo extension cable. but when you have very far between pit-in and pit-out, then you cant use this method.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts