SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am sure some of you know that I have a little collection of SMEC Model cars ( slot - rail - RTP and static ) that I have come across over the last 20 - 25 years well a few years ago I came across a kit by a company called Modelcraft that were designed by the well respected model maker Rex Hays the kit is very similar to SMEC with rough shaped wood the main differences being they are 1/24 scale and the wheels etc are wood not metal.
Yesterday I was following a trail of crumbs on Google relating to Mr Hays and came across the fact that he lived in Steyning a small town ( population circa 5000 ) in Sussex where SMEC are based surely there must have been some cross pollination ( chicken and egg conundrum ) did SMEC see the Modelcraft kits and decide he could do better ( and in my opinion the SMEC kits are much nicer, mainly due to the wheels ) or did Rex Hays / Modelcraft see the SMEC kits and think I could make those cheaper?
Any information would be appreciated .
john
Rectangle Font Wood Box Packing materials

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Don
Yes I do have the SMEC book but neither in that or any of the SMEC paper work that I have can I find Modelcraft mentioned, interestingly SMEC used both Autocraft and Hobbycraft designations in their kits, not proof of anything I know but an unusual coincidence.
john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts