SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I thought I'd share what is my first experience in making a wooden track, after driving on some SCX plastic for a short time I met some of the guys from Auslot in Victoria which started this obsession in building my own track. My intention from the outset was to CNC route the track because I had no confidence with a router.

Im not too bad with CAD so I set about drawing various variations and combinations of layouts that was originally intended to fit a space 4800x1200. Well I failed miserably I ended up with this at 5300x1900. I set the lanes at 100mm apart with a 120mm edge all the way around the outside. I was looking for a fast track with some subtle changes of elevations that would make it somewhat interesting.

Picked up the track from the place I gave the CNC work to do, on the morning with a bit of wind and rain threatening I made the dash across.
All morning a few spots of rain nothing more and traffic on stud road was bumper to bumper, cant tell you how glad I was to be home in one piece and more important the track still where I strapped it all down!

6 Pieces of 12mm MDF layed out, 19 meters of track to play with. I'm really happy with the cuts, clean as a whistle and line up well from what I have seen so far all the joins are at tangency points from line to arc. First things first I now need to build a table.

So off to the hardware store to buy whats needed. Dragged the triton saw out from the corner of the garage along with a drill and some glue and set about building the first part of the table. Its been a while since I have worked with wood so I have to say it was almost therapeutic.

Hadn't managed to get much done in the last few days, but I did manage to knock up the first of the outriggers which will support the end of the track. Didn't have enough hands so I grabbed one of my tie downs to create a third hand. Adding that 45° brace sure give the outrigger some strength. There will be 3 of these at each end, which will allow me to then contour the outer edge of the table to the track which I hope will give a nice finish to the overall project.

Another day not to much done partially due to Bathurst was on, but I did get enough done to reveal what the track might look like when finished. Screwed down all the lower sections of the track and slipped in some packers to gain some elevation in the areas required. Its amazing how much the whole feel of the track changed with a three dimensional feel to it. Checked out the clearance under the bridge, heaps of room to fish out a wayward car. Other than that I had a look at that the overpass didn't obscure drivers views too much which I think has worked out well.

There is so much still to do, and so many questions to ask, thanks to all who have helped me so far! Once I have the elevations fully sorted its time to paint the surface with Ferrodor and then tape & wire it before I start closing in the required sections. I have a theme in mind for this track but I will leave that for later.

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Oh dear, more of my inadequacies high-lighted on SlotForum!

Brilliant work, stunning track.
Keep it up!

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Rob,
Nice looking track plan and excellent looking craftsmanship on the construction of the table. I love the idea that you used CNC to rout the track; what a great apppraoch to take when its available. The elevations really add interest to the plan and should make this a fun track to race on. Thanks for sharing your track. Keep us posted on your progress.

Brad

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
How come he has so much space to play in? I thought sloters never had enough room for their toys.

Nice workmanship Rob. Nice to see someone else using castors on the legs. Sure makes it wasy to move around eh?

Looking forward to see how you make the borders cause that concrete looks as hard as the concrete in my garage. Not car friendly.

bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys,
Thankyou for your kind words, im not the fastest worker when it comes to doing this kind of stuff just simply got too many projects on the go. I spent alot of time lurking in forums such as this and talking to other slotcar enthusists to understand what I need to do. Guys like Davnic74 and Knoath have been a great help in building this track for information and ideas.

QUOTE So how much money does it cost to get the CNC work done?

The choice to go CNC was easy for me as I have been involoved in the manufacturing industry for many years. The cost of CNC routing here in Melbourne is between $1.90-$2.00 a linear meter of cut regardless of depth. so for the 96meters slots @ 1/8"wide x 8mm deep + the outer edges cut cookie cutter style from 2 3600x1800x12 mdf boards I supplied cost me $180 AUD. Personally if I had to do it all again I would take the same path simply email the DXF file to the factory, pick it up 2 days later how easy is that ? And I dont have to deal with the MDF dust!

QUOTE How come he has so much space to play in? I thought sloters never had enough room for their toys.
Nice workmanship Rob. Nice to see someone else using castors on the legs. Sure makes it wasy to move around eh?
Looking forward to see how you make the borders cause that concrete looks as hard as the concrete in my garage. Not car friendly.

Castors were a must most of the time the back straight will be against a wall, but when people come over I want to be able to drag it to the centre of the garage to create ample room around it for racing. As for the concrete I know exactly what you mean by that and have a broken camaro to prove it
. Im thinking at present of wraping the ends in a few layers of 3mm mdf to close in the track but also form the borders/fences required. You may of noticed I already contoured the base to match the track. And my wife has offered to stitch up a valance to hide the underside of the table when im ready.

As for the room it has to also house my 5L rangie and the camper trailer and allow me to still tinker in there, you can never have enough room!

Cheers Rob.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Few more pics of progress admittedly slower than I would like. I set out to get the underpass sorted this weekend if nothing else. Using some 12mm mdf left over I calculated the arc length required and cut the mdf to shape. To help bend the mdf around the corner I cut 8mm deep cuts in the back face at approx 10mm apart, worked a treat. Only thing I wished I had done was pre-drilled and insert the nails before putting it in to place. Oh well next time! Overall result worked out well I cut 45 deg ends to add to the retaining wall look. Looking at it now I should of dremelled in the sand stone blocks whilst it was flat on the bench
I guess free hand in there with a dremel will add to the realism hahaha. As you can see plenty of room to to get in there to get cars out.

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update, found some time this weekend to do some more work on track, managed to get all the internal fencing attached and trimmed along with some of the wire work . I borrowed the wire idea from phoeno29's site making the hills in preparation before plastering, its easy to do and quickly started to give the track a more complete feel bridging the spans between the track section. Once the plastering is done its on to the outer fencing which I'm not looking forward to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick few shots of the track with plaster on it. I still need to do some cleaning up in certain areas I'm not happy with but over all I'm pleased with it. Certainly closes in the track makes it feel smaller now.

Three tiers

Looking down from the head.

Racing out of the tunnel up through the valley

Close up of tunnel exit

Rounding tail bend onto the start finish line.

Sunset over Snake valley raceway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey thanks guys! Oh Graham, I have a terrible habbit of over engineering most things I do including fasteners. Its not about to lift and nothing some putty wont hide! But I might have to ubgrade the castors for the extra weight it's carrying.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
QUOTE (OzRob @ 6 Dec 2007, 21:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey thanks guys! Oh Graham, I have a terrible habbit of over engineering most things I do including fasteners. Its not about to lift and nothing some putty wont hide! But I might have to ubgrade the castors for the extra weight it's carrying.

Don't worry, so do I. You could almost walk all over my track...and the Scalextric cars.

Now, who was it that offered me those shares in a castor manufacturer...

·
Registered
423 Posts
QUOTE (JeffSCXd @ 6 Dec 2007, 20:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Forgive the dumy in me but what is that it feet

Try this - type 5300mm=?ft into the search box on Google. Works with almost any conversion. Quick & easy.

Todd

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.