SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I do have a soft spot for a lot of the Monogram models too, especially the Lola-Ford, their 1/32 F1s and the Lotus 38 in 1/24 - really one of the nicest of all 60s models.
Don
Me too, very soft indeed!

I could only afford one US slot car in 1966 and I chose the 1/32 Monogram Ferrari 275P. It cost me £3 19 6d which is £78.41 today or a bit more than $96. Still have most of it, of course.

Andy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That is a great 1/32 copy of the Cox frame. There have been a few talented guys copying the 1/24 version. Liquid Lou had a guy making copies years ago and they were exact. He had them chrome plated. He sent me one and it took a side by side comparison to see any difference. I have found those frames under lots of cars. When REH sold the remaining frames they turned up under lots of odd cars.
Outdated design, but a great piece. Don, you did good at Bordeux with that Gurney. You must have the car as good as possible and you must have drove a good race.
I've repaired a few, it's common to find them repaired or broken. I have a couple Lola chrome frames to work on soon. Both need guide tubes replaced. BradB was able to find some Cox chrome tubing, so all I need to do is step up my game and I should be able to fix those tube frames.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have converted a few AMT models and this might be one. I made resin parts to replace the model parts and to add the correct fuel filler. It's a job to carve off the wipers on the model kit. I waiting for a good resin caster to make some interiors. I have a few nice white model bodies just waiting. My casting work is so so and I'd like to have really nice interiors!!!.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

This one is a vac body and one of my weekly racers. I think it has a vac formed interior. I sent a pattern to Patto 20 years ago or so and he does do a vac formed interior that works with the Cox Chap driver and the AMT dash.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Fred drove a pretty 66 Ford, too and I used to run a hard body at the local track.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Picture frame

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Really nice Deusy Matt!

I don't think I've ever run one of these first series 1/24 cars, but the 1/32 cars were pretty good performers.

Don
There is no comparison to the 1/32 cars. The 16D smaller height and the 1/32 bodies much smaller height made the 1/32 cars really good in those early days. The `/24 stuff was just a rush to get into the slot car market. they are nice shelf models, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's a shot of some of the Monograms we race regularly on Carrera, Strombecker and commercial routed wood. They are our favorite class ! We don't race them with other cars like
Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

MPC or Cox, which keeps it all fair. Some are clones some originals. The 36d versions are easier to set up to race, but the 16d versions can be winners too , using various other motors, like Cox , Russkit, Johnson, or even Slotworks, or Parma 16ds without modifying the running gear, 1 1/4 tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Those are great looking cars. I'd like to see a better pic of the yellow Dusey. That looks great. Another guy told me once he was going to do a Black Mercedes. He saw one painted black and said it really looked great.
mb

21 - 40 of 70 Posts