SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this is in the wrong section,

ive managed to scrape together my old track from about 20years ago, and was wondering, can someone please explain the difference between scalextric sport and scalextric digital? is sport analogue and will it work with the conversion pack to classic track? is there a great difference between sport and digital track or even between the classic and sport? ive tried looking up for more info, but just seem to get confused when people advertise the c7036 lane change straight as being compatible for sport and other people say it isnt.

again, sorry if this is in the wrong section

thanks for any help

Darren

·
Registered
433 Posts
Gday Darren,

Classic track is the old scalextric track while sport track is the new stuff. Both have a different finish and different connections, classic track with a rough surface and sport track with the smooth surface. Scalextric digital is the name people use when using either a 4 car Powerbase or the Newish 6 car powerbase in conjunction with lane changers, pit sections etc. When someone says sport digital they would be talking about using sport track and using the digital powerbases instead of the analogue ones. You can combine the two if you like but will need to purchase converter half straights which will let you join the older style track to the new sports track. Another difference between the two types of track is the depth of the slot, the newer sport track having a deeper slot which can help if you get other types of brands of slot cars which have deeper guide blades on them. Sport track can be either analogur or digital depending on what powerbase you use. I started off with an analogue sport track set but have upgraded to the New 6 car Advanced Powerbase which is great. Any thing you really need to know can be found on the forum and plenty of helpful people if you can't find the answer. Hope this helps and not confuse you more.
Cheers
Matt

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
Put another way, yes, Scalextric Digital uses Scalextric Sport track. Sport sets/track and digital track are fully compatible.
Classic track requires a special adapter for the connections and depth change.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhhh ok, think thats making it a bit clearer.

so i could use sport track and classic track, and then buy a 4 car powerbase and then it'd be digital?

thanks again

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hi Darren
I was in your position a year ago & got going with the minimum necessary to go digital: I bought just a Digital 4 Car Powerbase with C7024 power unit and 2 Sport Track C8222 Classic Sport Converter Pack and C7002 Digital Hand Throttles (plus a straight lane changer and a couple of digital cars and a digital chip to try on my 30 year old car which i subsequently blew whilst soldering!)

Just a possible glimpse into the future though may save some wasted purchases: I got hooked & subsequently abandoned all my classic track being very frustrated but the poor performance of the old track in digital - poor conductivity due to bent & tarnished track rails) - Digital really requires a good clean continuous signal which, unless your classic track is in pristine condition, really means new track & that means Sport track, which also has the benefit of being much quicker to assemble with it's new style push-fit connectors.

Since then I have bought a C7042 6 car powerbase (which makes the digital 4 car pb redundant) although I could use the same power unit. It also allows me to run my cars in two car analog as it gets too expensive to put digital chips in all your new cars (once you get beyond 30 & your wife has threatened divorce). You can run analog with the straight lane changer in place so you can swap between analog & digital in a couple of seconds & the digital cars will also run in analog without any mod.

So if you think you might get hooked, you could save a bit by not bothering with the converter track, & maybe the 4-car pb & going straight to the 6 car APB, although at £100 it ain't cheap but it adds so many more possibilities & fun.

Have fun
Chris

·
Registered
984 Posts
I too went 4 car PB then 6 car PB. By the time you get a 4 cat APB and a Digial lap counter which is the minimum, you may as well get a 6 car APB as it does the lap conting. However to avoid cost you MUST by an APB with version 1.06 as a minimum or find someone local who will upgrade. Other wise you get a £30 bill for a cable (which you will use for SSDC in the end). As delivered the APB is hopeless.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that, those tips really help as i was considering a 6car PB but wasnt sure if i was goin that far...but looks like i will be.

ive got about 50cars, at of which, approx are BNIB and will be shelf queens but also keep an eye out for some bargains that i'd end up converting to digital.
just moved to another country and still gettin settled in so once ive got goin, i'll find the space somewhere

thanks again

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
The 6 car base C7042 (APB) is definitely the way to go. The analog mode option alone is a huge money saver, not having to chip a car just to run laps or a classis 2 lane race.

Although a few people have had some issues with their APB off the shelf, I wouldn't call it hopeless at all. If you get one, and run into problems of any kind, come here first. We can either help you solve them, or recommend calling Hornby or getting the cable or someone to do the firmware upgrade. The vast majority of people, however, have no problems with theirs beyond the sad excuse for a manual that it comes with. Check out my videos for a run through of the important features.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts