SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
QUOTE (1eye101 @ 13 Apr 2009, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like to apply mine a little different from most. I like to let the plaster (as in plaster of paris) completely dry before removing the mold. I then cut or break the plaster mold to fit where I want, not following any pattern unless its a large crack. This lets me use one mold, but never really repeating its self.

Clever thinking, right when I saw it I was thinking that it had that mold look, but I could'nt see where it repeated.
- great tip.

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Have you ever considered to do part of your forrest sections as an area where there had been a forrest fire. ?
Obviously you should''nt destroy/"BURN" any of your 1.5 hour trees(50 x 1.5)=75 hours of work), a lot less would do. :)

I've all ways had this inner vision of a "Scorched Earth" theme for a racetrack, but again a lot less would do....like a forrest fire area maybe all so with a burned cabin/ burned car parked in the side of the road etc. etc.

well I guess I'm just ramblin here, so......
cheers

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

Stu, that is some of the finest scenery work I've seen so far.
Right up there mate!

Thanks for the explaination of your rock work, I think I've convinced myself to get a mold or two. The results are just great!
Your trees are so realistic too, well done.

Could I be so bold as to offer a critisism?
I think the water is too blue... could it be toned down a bit with some darker green so it doesn't seem so stark?
I understand that water is very difficult to model and I'm in no way having a go, but the rest of the scenery is of such a high standard!

Do you brush on your paint for the rocks, or do you use a spray bottle?
Love the sand/gravel around the base of the trees too, excellent.

Dick.

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Dick.....please critisise away, I'm still new to this stuff!

The water is very blue but its not finished yet, this is just he base colour. I intend to add a water modeling type resin product to it once the other side is finished. I hoping this will 'calm' it down a little. It will probably take a good 4-5 layers to which I could add a little shading colour to the resin in the mixing process. I also need to add the ripples to give the effect of movement.

All the rocks are coloured with a paint brush, which I do not clean in between colours. I' show how in my next rock session.

Wraith....I'll also do a 'how to' on the trees. On page 2 of this thread there is a linky to the company I bought the material from.

Thanks

·
Pete Shepherd
1,697 Posts
This is looking superb, i can't wait for more updates. The Rocks are very realistic and i dread to think how many hours are needed to complete this massive project, good luck! Hopefully i'm still invited for a go when it is ready?????

Cheers

Pete

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hi Dick

Yes I intend to make my own and have the materials to do so, but I've not built any of the land up around the bends that need them! Nothing but road and air!!!! By tempoary barrier I mean nailing a strip of hard board round the edge of the road until I'm ready to build the land up on those parts of the track.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi gents, I'll try to keep this as simple as I can!

In Graham Lane style (except without a thread per step!) how I build my trees using Fine Scale forest products from here (please note that Bill gave this link out in his Targa build thread, thanks to all that share their research and linkys to good sites).

I have followed the instructions that come with the bag of tree material, although there are no photos. There are no trunks with this, I use wooden chop sticks that measure 210mm or just under 8 1/2 ''. I've made 6-7 tress and have hardly put a dent in the bag.

Step 1:

Scrape down the trunk using the teeth of a hack saw blade or stiff wire brush. This is to get the bark effect. Although this detail is hard to see unless your up close, it only takes 10 seconds to get the effect.

Step 2:

I lightly paint (as in not loading up the toothbrush with too much paint) the trunk using dark oak shed/fence paint using a tooth brush. You can see that the paint sits nicely in the scrape marks from the hacksaw blade.

Step 3:

Using a 1mm drill bit I start to drill square on to the trunk and then angle the drill up so when I add branches they will hang down a little. The hole doesn't need to be deep. 1-2mm is plenty.
I start half way up the trunk and use some dead bush foliage from the garden to represent old dead branches. These are applied by dipping the end in to PVA glue and pushing them into the hole.

Step 4:

Next is to start adding the green stuff. Using the same process for step 3, I drill 3 holes about 10mm higher than the dead branches and add longer lengths of the tree material, again dipping in the end in PVA glue and making sure they are the right way up (pine cone etc)

Step 5:

A further bit up the trunk I drill in the space between the branches further down (see first pic). This helps bulk the tree out. I continue this process of filling the spaces all the way up the tree. As I get higher I use smaller pieces of tree material which need stripping back a little so the branch can still penetrate the drilled hole.

Step 6:

I don't add any material to the side thats against the wall or can't be seen. This saves loads of the branches.

Step 7:

For the last 10mm of the tree its really hard to drill holes so I just glue a few smaller pieces in. I also add a small piece to the top pointing up to look like new growth.

And there you have it!!! Its now taking me about 20-25 mins per tree depending how full I want it.

I hope the pics explain the process better than I do! Any questions then please ask.

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
good job on the tutorial trees look great..

when i clicked on the link i was shocked to see the supplier lives about
200mi. south of me..Georgetown;gateway to the world famous 4x4 trail.
The Rubicon

my area is covered in that moss!

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Excellent job on the tutorial Stuart. Very well presented and photographed. There will be one portion of my track where this type of tree (something like a lodgepole pine) will be perfect. Now I've got a clue as to how to make them. Thanks!

Brad

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.