SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Here is something different...

My latest commercial project. I was asked to build a dragstrip for a customer who manufactures CNC laser cutting machinery.

I regret that I did not take any build-pictures, but this was very busy project. Complete track was built within two weeks.

Cars are 1:24 Carrera Corvettes and track is NINCO

Track frame is made of MDF board and painted and partly coated with plastic metal-like sheet. One main switch starts everything - track power, lights and timing computer. This kind of track has to be very easy to operate so that I can comfortably leave it to customer. Hand controllers are Parma Economy.

Christmas tree is aluminium profile and contains massive LED wiring inside the frame.

As finishing touches I made little brass reflectors for LEDs (to cover the messy hot-glue backside)

Track length can be varied with 1,2meter modules. This track is about 6meters from start to finish and total lenght is 7,2 meters (24ft). Size of exhibition stand limits the length. Modular construction enables easy transport with normal car.

Cars are stopped by foam at car collision box

Box opens for car-recovery. There is plenty of stopping distance even for fastest cars.

All in all very nice but very busy project. You are free to steal ideas.

Front of the track will be covered with foamboard so that the track will look very neat and clean for the exhibition.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Very nice project Julius! Hope it works out for your customer.

Just one question: why the little curve in the track right at the beginning? Doesn't that throw the cars off, or are they too slow at the start?

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love your builds. Thanks for posting your work. This one looks like a lot of fun. Although I am not a big drag style fan, I can appreciate the time it took to build such a track. keep posting. I'm sure everyone else loves it too.

WB

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!

Thank you for positive comments.

I added a curve at start in order to have christmas tree between the lanes. For straight section I wanted to use standard NINCO straights.

I also figured that although not typical for drag strip - the curve would create extra suspense. Cars would possibly collide with each other with danger of deslotting.

Cheers!

Julius

1 - 4 of 4 Posts