SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Slot King
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little something I bought whilst in Bordeaux.
First a little recap. in the 60s Strombecker made a deal with a French toy company called Mont Blanc to distribute/"manufacture" its products in France.
Many of the versions sold there are in different colours to the US issues, but it is believed all were actually made in the US.
Mont Blanc also made some friction powered versions of the 1/24th cars such as the Lotus 30, Chaparral, Cheetah, Porsche 906, and Ferrari P2.

Less well known is this little baby, a Strombecker Ferrari Dino in 1/24th, this was apparently never released as a slot car.

Cute eh?

Joel

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Ooh, I missed that one, nice find Joel! Very, very strange, since all the Mont Blanc issues were the slot car bodies - and I have one of those made for a battery-powered slot track... but have never seen a 1/24 Dino!

I thought Strombecker did have a factory in France, but not sure if they actually manufactured stuff, or just assembled sets and cars...

Don

PS/ did the seller know anything?

·
Kitbasher
4,301 Posts
Bummer! well spotted Joel...

Grrrr, missed that one, grrrrrr, grrrrrr

as you say cute, are you sure it is a Dino?, looks a bit P2 to me...

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
It was a nice find but I'm not sure it is worth the 350 Euro's you had to pay.

QUOTE are you sure it is a Dino?, looks a bit P2 to me...

and you call yourself Tifosi! Definitely a Dino Spyder and exactly the same as the Strombecker 1/32 Dino.

·
Kitbasher
4,301 Posts
QUOTE and you call yourself Tifosi!

Yup, I do.

Now let ius see
Aero roll bar - check
Hump between rear wings - check
Wrap around 3/4 screen - check
Faired headlights - check
etc etc

So it could be a 206S or it could be a P2
I am a member of Tifosi but NOT a Strombecker expert so show me the real thing and I usually get it right...

I mean you did work out which of these was the 206 Dino right?

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Ah, found it - happened to have a photo in stock of my Strombecker/Mont Blanc Ferrari P2 battery slot car version... hope this helps, or at least throw some oil on the fire to raise our Nielsen ratings...

And a couple of the friction drive versions with Strommie slot bodies:

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
QUOTE Aero roll bar - check
Hump between rear wings - check
Wrap around 3/4 screen - check
Faired headlights - check
etc etc

Maybe we should start calling you "Gilles the 2nd"!?

QUOTE I mean you did work out which of these was the 206 Dino right?

#34, I'm no expert but that one was quite easy, test me some more!

As far as I'm concerned the 206 and the P2 look very different from the side, the main difference being the longer tail on the P2. You've used a clever shot of the P2 showing only the front profile which does look similar to the Dino.

P2

Dino

Maybe I should change my name to "Gilles the 3rd"

·
Slot King
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I am not a complete anorak, I will not point out all the differences between a P2 and a 1964 Dino (to give it its proper name) just that the Dino is about 15% smaller than the P2.
Don is correct, plenty of Mont Blanc toys based on slot bodies, but the 1/24th Dino was never released as a slot car.
My guess is that Strombecker gave up slots after they had produced the bodies, and sold them all to Mont Blanc.

Still, the best find of the year so far (close behind that 3rd Adams chassis I have just bought).

Joel

·
Kitbasher
4,301 Posts
Hello assorted Gilles and Joels

QUOTE You've used a clever shot of the P2 showing only the front profile which does look similar to the Dino.

Who me?

The little Dino is a favourite of mine, it is like a 7/8 sized Ferrari P4 - and the P4 is as good as it gets really.

You would have to admit that Strombecker missed the absolute curvaceousness of the Dino, making their version of the Dino nearly as chunky as the P2 but I am still very jealous that Joel got this one!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Nice Find Joel I have a Monte Blanc Lotus 30 not in good condition. Its differnately a 206s Dino. The 1/24th Cox Ferrari Dino was the 1965 166P. I have a slide of the three Ferraris on the line up for the 1965 Le Mans one was the P2 Coupe one was the 166P Dino I think the other was the 275GT Competion. I think the 206s was a 1966 car; its listed for Le Mans in coupe form in 1966. Its my favorite Ferrari. It was launch the same time as the 1966 Ferrari 330P3. The P2 in all its engine sizes was a 1965 car.
Regards Allan

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
QUOTE I thought Strombecker did have a factory in France, but not sure if they actually manufactured stuff, or just assembled sets and cars...
Don,
Jouets Mont Blanc had their own molds and manufactured the entire cars from American molds after Strombecker gave up the 1/24 scale models in 1968. Amazing, but I got confirmation directly from the Shure brothers a long time ago. I was not aware of the toys issued by them AFTER the slot cars until recently, but it was obvious that this was the intent. I also know that there was a 1/24 scale version of the McKee Can-Am (not the wedge, the one with smooth lines) and I have pictures of the hand-built prototype still owned by Bob McKee to this day and given to him by Strombecker.

This Dino was more than likely French made, a pantographed job from the pattern that served for the 1/32 scale model I guess, and likely designed for being a toy rather than a slot car.
Nice find!
P

·
Slot King
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Philippe, this is what you wrote on Slotbog in 2009:
"I can only base my conclusions to the evidence from the Shure brothers at Dowst. According to them, ALL parts were molded in the USA and then exported to France and Spain for assembly.
However one could believe that track and transformers could have been produced in Europe to save shipping costs because it would make more sense."

The Dino body is marked "Strombecker Corporation" in the correct font, I can't see Mont Blanc doing that, they would have used a font similar to that under the track they manufactured.
From the business point of view it does not make sense either. The other friction cars did not sell in large numbers, what would be to point of paying for a new mold just to add another Ferrari (on top of the existing P2)?

The most likely scenario is that Mont Blanc bought unwanted slot Dino bodies made by Strombecker but never released.
The Dinos are so very rare that it must have been a very small batch.

Joel

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Joel,
The body molds that Mont Blanc used were made in the USA, simple duplicates of the ones used in Chicago. The reason was that in the 1960s, the import duties for American toys in France were very high, so to was less expensive to send tooling to France and have the parts molded there. Thing is, the 1/24 Dino was never produced in the USA and I assume that only a few samples were made in France before the collapse of the hobby.

·
Slot King
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a continuation of this thread, here is another 1/24th slot car body turned into a toy:
Originally released by Atlas, this one is made in Macao, by ???

More to follow

Joel

PS: And, for Tifosi only, that is a Ferrari P2.

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Nom d'une pipe et sacré bleu! I've got a couple of those made in Macau models Joel and never noticed the Atlas body - will have a look in the hidden drawers tomorrow.

You sure that's not a P4? or maybe a Dino? or an Edsel?

Don

·
Slot King
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don, I am glad you mentioned P4s.

Here is another interesting little find, we all know Jyesa released a couple of Stabo 1/32nd slotcars (Ferrari Superfast and Maserati Mistral)
This is the rather rare 1/24th Stabo P3, released by Jye as a friction toy!

They even reused the box artwork.

#333 would seem to indicate they made many other models. The plot thickens!

Joel

PS: And for Tifosi only, that is a P3. (Not a very good one, but how many other 1/24th hard bodied P3/4 are there?)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts