SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While racing last Monday the call-outs disappeared.

We had been running using Practice as usual, which I think is one of the standard set-ups RC comes with and the call-out and sounds had been working as usual.

We then switched to one of our race set-ups and the sound disappeared. The speakers were OK as the PC made its usual Windows type noise when we turned it off at the end of the night.

No big deal as we can start races using the start lights, but odd.

It has happened once before, about 18 months ago and the following week reappeared without any fiddling.

We don't use any of the call-outs or sounds attributable to the Drivers via Driver Setup, just those we set-up in Race Manager/Audio.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Yes, make sure the main RC window is the topmost window. Just left click the menu bar to be sure. That's all I can think of that might cause it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, Bjarne, Thanks. That is what I would call "making sure we have the right window is active" which we know about and checked. When the Race Day window is not active the lights don't work either.

We all did all the usual PC checks, make sure the speakers had not been toggled off accidentally, turn the power to the speaker off and on and pull the connection out and put it back. I suspect it needed a reboot, but as we had all the drivers on the rostrum for the first heat and all the marshals at their posts ( which is quite a feat!) we decided to just get on with racing.

We all know that a watched PC never reboots!
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
We have had this. Only very occasionally, two or three times a year. Sound disappears for no apparent reason and then reappears a bit later without rebooting the computer. We checked the same things as you and I have no idea why it happens.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brian. Good to know we are not alone
thumbsup2.gif
I'll report back on what happens tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I'd be curious if both the .wav audio AND text to speech audio both don't work. The two are done very differently so if one worked and the other didn't that would prove your speakers are setup right. It would at least rule things out.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sound returned as normal with no fuss when we turned the PC back on on Monday evening and stayed on all evening. Just a PC hiccup.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Theory: Doing 'something else' whilst RC is in full chat mode during a heat interrupts the audio flow and that doesn't clear until the heat finishes.

As an example: Last night we lost sound as the laptops 'volume control' was showing on the bottom toolbar, covering lap times for the fourth place driver. The (human) race controller closed it (didn't alter the volume or anything - just closed it) so he could see ALL the lap times and from that point until the end of the heat, no more audio.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have found that the if RC is not the Front Most Program it will not chat. IE if you pull up volume control it takes the focus away from RC. Need to always have the main Focus in RC, the mouse clicked in the RC window. Just closing the window of something else will not allow RC to have full access to the system/sound resources and you will hear nothing,

Just my .02 Cents worth, hope it helps.....

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Oxx that's very true. If you're having audio issues the very first thing you should do/try is click the title bar of the Race Day window. That will bring it to the front and give it focus. In theory audio should then work.

To be honest I hate how audio works in RC, but I couldn't find a better way to do it when I built RC. That was 5 years ago so maybe there's something cleaner/better now... I'll take a look when I get a chance.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,285 Posts
On the subject of sound.............seeing as we have a resolution to the original issue, I'll mention that we had to race mute last Wednesday.

"New race leader" doesn't behave properly for us because of the way we race. So I meant to replace it with a beep. Unfortunately, fat fingers meant I accidently Removed the file from the directory. How we laughed when the man's voice came out with "backslash backslash my computer backslash...." etc every three or four seconds! As soon as I looked at the directories I realised my error and resolved it!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don't like to 'mess' with things on Race Night but you're absolutely right, of course!

I ran a Demo race night on the test machine and you could turn the audio on and off at will by doing 'something else' during the course of a heat, then clicking on the Raceday screen to re-focus RC on the job in hand. I did find it didn't have to be on the tool bar, just on the screen itself though.

I'll play about a bit more in demo mode just to gain confidence for 'the real thing' happening and double check that it doesn't HAVE to be a toolbar click to reactivate the sound.

Thanks for solving the mystery

1 - 18 of 18 Posts