SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,
I have not seen anyone else ask this question, so it may only bother me !!

Is it possible to change the volume of the sound samples in SSDC? I find if I set the Murray Walker ones about right, some of the others seem very very quiet. This is mainly a problem trying to hear when you need to refuel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Martin

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. Especially annoying is that extra loud horn at the end of a race, which I can find no way to disable or change, like I was able to in SSDC 4.x.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Mr. F - I have just updated the finish horn so that it is optional. Must have overlooked that when I did the move of code from v4 to v5. I will also check the various sound files and make sure that they are at similar volume levels. Should be easy to do. The hard part is matching speech and audio volumes. I haven't worked out how to do that yet.

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
The wav files have always been louder than the speech for me, but when I asked about that a long time ago I think you said there wasn't a way you could provide to adjust one but not the other. I've gotten used to that. Thanks for putting the horn option back in. I much prefer the ding sound that comes in the Windows media files for that.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
What I have just done is to reduce the WAV files by 6dB, which means that they are much closer to the speech volume than before. There doesn't seem to be a way to balance the speech with WAV, so we can run with these modified files for a bit and see what people think.

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
Nothing special for me. I usually set the "normal lap" to a simple blip sound so that I know a lap was detected, but it's not an annoying sound. I also change the race end to a ding for the same reason. The others depend on my mood, but I usually go for the voice/speech whenever possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Chaps,
Thanks very much for the replys, sorry I am late answering I have been buisy working late.

I usually run with the speech calling out the driver's name ie "Martin you are running out of fuel" but the start sample of Murray Walker is much louder so it was difficult to hear your name called, when set at a comfortable level for Mr Walker.

To try to overcome this is to put in the name as "Martin Martin Martin" then it says " Martin Martin Martin you are running out of fuel" which is more noticable in the heat of battle !

I have recorded my own sounds as well, and I use these. For example I have recorded my own "Fastest Lap" one, as I found the original was too long. I was wondering if it is possible to add a volume control to each sample for the user to change ( values 1 to 10 possibly) like you can in some computer games. Then the user could set what they would like.

Thanks Andy very much for trying to balance the relative volumes, I hope to have play at the weekend.

If anyone is interested in making thier own samples, I used Audacity which is free recording studio software.
Cheers Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been trying to work out how to have anything in the sound side of things other than the default - how did you achieve SSDC naming the driver with low fuel???

I'm missing something...

Skot

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
You need to use the options window, and select "Speech" for the low fuel notification. SSDC will then use the windows text to speech to notify the driver. The driver's name comes from the driver window.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Andy,

Will give it a go tomorrow.
I was thinking about searching the net for possible sound bytes to use.... what format should they be in??

Thanks again for SSDC - Lovin' it!!

Skot

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Andy,
You said you have reduced the WAV files by 6dB. To take advantage of this modification, do I just re download the latest version from the SSDC website ?
Thanks again for all your help.
Cheers Martin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Skot,

And anyone else interested, I recorded my son saying "Fastest Lap" onto the computer, and saved it in music as a .wav file.

Then I opened SSDC and pressed Tools, then Options, then Sounds. Then chose Custom and located the file.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Martin

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
QUOTE (slotmartin @ 16 Jun 2011, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Andy,
You said you have reduced the WAV files by 6dB. To take advantage of this modification, do I just re download the latest version from the SSDC website ?
Thanks again for all your help.
Cheers Martin

Hi Martin - I haven't uploaded the changes yet to the SSDC site. I am working on support for wireless throttles and improved braking at the moment, so the sound mods will get included in that release. Should have something posted next week some time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts