SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've made a start on the new improved Southern Cross Motor Raceway!
The table measures 4.8m x 2m of 12mm MDF. This is my first time using a router!
Slots are 3mm x 7mm deep. Going with copper tape.
I don't know what the lane lengths are... but I reckon somewhere around 14-15m.
Back straight is 3.5m long, front straight 2.5m, bridge section 3.1m.
Surface will be Ferrodore Bridge Grey.

I made 2 mistakes with the routing, where the pin of the radius arm moved mid arc!!! Bugger!! I filled it with some putty, yet to repair it.

I haven't routed the bridge section yet, maybe this weekend... you can see the routing for the fences, they will be 3mm MDF 30 something mm high, enough for some signage.
Would like to have the lanes painted this weekend.
Here's some pics.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
It's great to see that you have started in on the new track Dick. I think the prospect of the routed track is terrific! The track plan looks like it'll be fun to drive. I'll be watching intently on your progress.
Brad

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE I'll be watching intently on your progress.
Brad
Thanks Brad, although this track won't have the same intended scenery as the last... I'm seeing a much simpler 'racing' track here...
I don't have the room for an elaborate pit set up, or grandstands etc, but I could sneak something in without overcrowding....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after work this arvo I got to work on the bridge section, I cut the board to allow the incline at turn 1, and also the aproach to turn 2.
I moved onto routing the bridge itself, got 1 1/2 lanes done when the router bit had had enough.... it was burning the wood, not cutting it.
So that was that!
Off to Bunnings to get a new bit tomorrow.
I may still be able to have the lanes painted by next week, and then Ferrodore

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looking really good knoath it is !
good race track set up around a 5 -6 second lap?
Looking forward to seeing it progress. For a 1st time router handler you're doing a great job!

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Nice track. I think this may be similar to another one I have seen somewhere. It is one foot wider than mine and therefore you can get a crossover in which makes it so much nicer.

Did you consider squeezing any of the lanes on some of the turns?

bill

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slotheeed
QUOTE Looking really good knoath it is !
good race track set up around a 5 -6 second lap?
Looking forward to seeing it progress. For a 1st time router handler you're doing a great job!
Thanks slotheed...I'll let you know what times I can do once it's powered up!

Black3sr
QUOTE Did you consider squeezing any of the lanes on some of the turns?
It was never on the plan... I don't like follow the leader where there's a potential overtaking area...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After some of your thoughts about track edges, fellow slotters... do I just keep a uniform distance from the inner and outer lanes or do I try to replicate a racing line, eg. do I bring the apexes in toward the inside lane?
I'm thinking about going with a uniform distance seeing as I've got equal lane spacing and constant radius curves.... what's the feeling out there?

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
QUOTE (knoath @ 7 Sep 2007, 15:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>do I just keep a uniform distance from the inner and outer lanes or do I try to replicate a racing line, eg. do I bring the apexes in toward the inside lane?
what's the feeling out there?

My feeling is...... do the racing line thing.
It doe's seem to bring a realistic touch to a track.
Maybe try to pencil some in before you commit, to see what you like best.
Track is looking very good, you sure have a lucky couple of boy's there.
Can't wait to see this progress.
Cheers,
Mike

BTW, please don't use anymore pic's of that Mustang. We can't get that one in the shop's here. (lucky git)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Miker.... I may pencil them in to see how it looks.
Graham, thanks for the kind words.
Surfing SF and Auslot has given me just as much info of what not to do, as what to do!
Talking to guys (like Davnic74 and Gref) who have done it before helps no end too.
I just took my time, measured twice, cut once.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.