SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
To start with, I thought I'd post a pic of the (table section) track before I began the borders and permanant elevations.

Over the weekend I had started on the base work for some hills, using strips of cardboard.
I just cut these up using a stanley knife (box cutter) and wove them together, hot gluing them as I went.

I managed a couple of minutes to start on some plaster work today.
Just used a Woodlands Scenics plaster cloth roll... didn't go far!
I may try some Chux wipes dipped in plaster next time...see how that works.

Here's a couple of pics.

Looking back along the main straight.

Of course I need to apply a thicker layer of plaster by hand and then I can start to fill out the hills.
Looking forward to this part, followed by some paint and my home made flock!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A Very Nice start!! Since woodland scenics plaster bandages are kinda spendy for larger projects I generally so this the old fashioned way.
Try Plaster dipped shop towels (they are a strong paper towel that come on a roll or in a Box) I cut them into 3" wide strips

Consider using a Sanded Floor Grout blended with Plaster for your final coat....this will add color, texture and a little more strength.

I do my scenery base alot like yours MOST of the time weaving cardboard. I also add to this nylon Webbing like from Onion Bags.......they also use them to Bag Turkeys over here. Ive found that having some support underneath the cardboard strips is helpful Unless you have very good cardboard (like from appliance boxes) Without a bit of extra support (Crumpled up newspapers or some such)sometimes you'll get a bit of sag as things get wet.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers GarageRacer!
I'm a bit far away, (out along the Hume Hwy) but there's always a chance...

Todd, I tried your hint on the shop towels (well, I used some cleaning cloths from work!) and didn't do too badly.
I think the plaster (I think you guys call it goop?) was a little on the thick and heavy side, but it set OK.
I'll try a thinner mix next time and see how that holds.

I also added some plaster to the hills and it's all starting to take shape... was looking at where I'll put some fences (3mm MDF, 30mm high) and realised there's a few little nooks where some gum trees would sit nicely, protected from the cars.
As this is my first attempt at landscaping, I'm finding myself planning a lot... but once I get time to get hands on, I know what I want and that makes the task easier.... I can see it in my minds eye.
Now just to develop the skills to see it in the flesh!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sometimes Guys if you just start building things fall into place....You can spend 6 months planning and all you do is end up 6 months behind on the building.
By building you will see things in a FAR DIFFERENT perspective than you can on paper or on the computer screen.

Remember, theres nothing that you can do while building that you cant UNDO just as easily as you did it. (even track can be repainted Black

We all make mistakes, even guys who are on their 10th or 12th layout........they just dont sweat it..they rip out and redo when a new plan strikes!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree Todd.
It's great to see the project evolve, even if it's a blob of plaster here or there.

Working 6 days a week and having a young family don't allow me much time, so planning is something I can do anywhere... finding time to get hands on is golden at the moment.

@1eye101, I'll put up some more pics as I go.... I've managed to get next week off work (That's off work, the missus has work lined up at home! I'm painting the kitchen cupboards and frame work etc) so I'm hoping to get some productive time on the table too.
Hmm, now to become a juggler as well!

Hope to get some pics to show you all by the week's end.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, got a fair chunk of the kitchen work done this morning, so I wandered out the the garage.
Put some MDF fences up (just temp) and had another go at some catch fences.
They came up pretty well I thought, so I took some pics.

First corner, catch fence with MDF wall.

Fence at the bottom of the hill...

I'm pretty happy with them. I'll use this method whenever I make more.
I need some more 6mm MDF sheets to complete the borders.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE They did turn out nice. Is that some kind of "chicken wire" that you used to make the fencing? And what did you use for the posts?
@jmswms: the wire is 6mm avery wire, used for caging birds. The posts are coat hangers, given a quick sand by hand to allow the solder to take.
I cut them to size (with a pair of side cutters) then hammered the bend into them 6 or so at a time, which allowed the same profile.

QUOTE What are the table dimensions?
@LMP: The table is 3m x 1.8m, with a fold down section along the side of the garage, which measures 3.6m x 450mm. This has two straights with a hairpin.

QUOTE Ditto on what the others have said about the catch fence. That's the most realistic one I have seen. Excellent work.

Brad
@Brad Korando: Wow, thanks Brad!! After watching your build I'm definately a long way behind your standards!! This is my first build, so I'm taking a lot in from all the other great tracks on here and Auslot Forums (Aussie site).

Thanks Taxi! Got a long way to go.

The catch fence idea is taken from 'jab' on Auslot, jab's home track, see post #37.
His are perfect!!!

Well, thanks for the kind words fellas. I don't think I'll have time to do anymore today, but if I do I'll get some more pics.
Cheers,
Dick

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a few minutes this arvo, played around with an area of the track that hasn't seen much daylight... the hairpin.
Using the same principles as the catch fences mentioned earlier, I mcked around with something for this end of the track.
I hadn't spent the same energy here, haven't drilled the locating holes for the fence posts etc, but just wanted to see what it'd look like....to get an idea of the next phase.

The straights are approx 3.5m long.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE Hairpin turn looks a bit Avus south curveif you ask me..
WTF? Dunno what that means....

I gave the fences a coat of black paint last night.
Most people who see these types of fences at race tracks know them as galvinised (silver finish), but at Bathurst (Greatest track in the world!!), they are black, so I took the liberty of copying them!!!

Here's a pic or three...
Turn 1

Hairpin

Bottom of hill

·
Registered
96 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.