Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, newbie here.

Just ordered a Tomy afx super international, and came across an auction for some track pieces on ebay. I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to wether or not they would be compatible. The auction bits are being sold by someone who doesn't know the difference and neither to I, but said that they say 'aurora tomy' on the back.
Can anyone verify or deny thatg these would be compatible with the new AFX track I'm getting? Or help me with some things to look at to verify?

Keep in mind I have neither the new or old peices available to inspect yet, till after the end of the auction at least.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi, kbeefy and welcome to the asylum.

I have forgotten most of what little I used to know about HO but I haven't forgotten Gregory Braun and his EXCELLENT site.

Take a look HERE and you may find the answers to your questions. It's also worth dropping an Email to Gregory who is an EXCEPTIONALLY helpful chap.

You may also get direct answers from others here, particularly Fergy, who is often in and has a very experienced background in HO. HE also is an exceptionally helpful chap!
I am almost sure the pieces you mention are exactly the same, but better to hear this from people who really know.
I think you will find your answers quite quickly - hope so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, I had found Gregorys' site allready and found it very informative... it's the reason I decided to get the Tomy afx.

At this point I'm kinda assuming that if it says tomy on itit must be compatible, the aurora specefic track was pre- tomy, right?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I'm no expert on HO but I did dabble with it before I got back into 1/32 and I'm fairly sure that not only are you right with the Tomy name meaning only one sort of track, but converters were made to join it to the old Aurora track as well.

Somewhere I have an old Aurora catalogue which pictures the parts, not that it will help in actually obtaining some!

Mr.M

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
Tomy bought the right to use the AFX trademark. The two types join toghter differently. There might be adaptor track available to join them. I would stay away from the Aurora AFX track as you would likely have trouble with poor connections.
Tomy is the best of the "set" type of HO track because it makes better connections and has a greater variety of sections. THe cheapest way to get more track is to buy another set, it is much more expensive to buy individual sections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but if it said 'tomy aurora' on it it wouldn't be the old aurora afx, would it? Did tomy make both styles for a while or would anything that said tomy on it be the better track?
Seems like a good deal, it's 40-50 peices of track for about $30-40 shipped.

thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
Any Tomy track works with Tomy track and so on. When needed, adapter tracks are available. Whenever possible, buy used track locally because the stuff is dirt cheap and not worth the cost of shipping. Yes, I'm dead serious.

At one time we had an awesome 65' six lane Tomy track set up in a friends basement. New it cost well over $1K USD even after sales and such. When we were done with it there wasn't even one person that looked at the track for a measely $200 and we ended up giving it away. This track was meticulously maintained too.

I have no idea how much of that plastic track I've given away over the years. If you're serious about racing HO you should use a routed track anyway. Costs the same and is a whole lot nicer to race on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tomy has been marketing their "AFX" track in the US for over twenty years.
If the track has TOMY on it then it will be the same as your Super International set.

Most peple think of the original Aurora AFX track. There are adapters to join the Aurora AFX and the TOmy AFX track together.

There are some good points brought up by a Bill. Many HO sets are quickly discarded, notably after the holidays, and it can be gotten rather cheaply or even for free. But the high quality Tomy AFX track typically is not one of the types discarded. The Tomy AFX track is very good with a large selection of track pieces available and unlike "TOY" type tracks the power rails are stainless steel which inhibit corrosion.

Many in my area have had the same experience mentioned by a Bill with not being able to sell their tracks when they upgraded, but it was not HO track, it was their Scalextric Classis track! They could not give it away when they upgraded to the smooth high quality Carrera and Artin track. I think we have given away and donated thousands of dollars of Classic and SCX track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts