SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Hmm, and the packaging might be even rarer! Excellent find Bernard.

Kind of reminds me of the Tokyo Plamo version from Japan - have you compared them?

Don

PS: here's a shot of the Tokyo Plamo - maybe not quite the same, but equally wide, especially compared to the Monogram version!

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi don,besides the bottom of both cars are different,the speedking is larger & quite different.the speedking also has a real interior.both cars are inaccurate models,each has its charm.the tokyo plamo car is made in 2 versions(a kit car,& a set car)& the speedking car is rather rare.thanks,bernard

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Even being almost a third wider?

As a designer yourself, any idea why they would have done that? It's not like they needed the extra width for motor or chassis (like in a lot of F1 models), and the Speedking's tread doesn't even use the extra width...

Don

·
Registered
402 Posts
HI Bernard,

Great pictures and with packaging, neat!

It would be interesting some time to see pictures of all of the Coopers, i.e., Monogram, SpeedKing, etc. from above, lined up together .... for comparison!!

all my very best,

Charles

I wonder if Lucky Toys/Zee ... did a Cooper as well?

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
QUOTE Even being almost a third wider?

As a designer yourself, any idea why they would have done that? It's not like they needed the extra width for motor or chassis (like in a lot of F1 models), and the Speedking's tread doesn't even use the extra width...
Hard to tell of course like 45 years later but even then there were copyright laws that said that anything different by 10% was not considered a copy and was exempt from prosecution. I seriously doubt that the Chinese in Hong Kong or the Japanese designers at TP even cared about copyright laws (they still do not to this day!) so there must have been other reasons but your guess is as good as mine.
Either way, it is quite clear that their inspiration and basic pattern was stolen from the Monogram model...

Not like if there was anything new on Planet Earth!

The sad thing for us of course is that none of that plagieurism led to a larger 1/24 scale model of this great Cooper sports car, so we are left with the Pactra and lancer vac bodies that are fortunately beautiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts