SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen - I know I am an editorial pedant (goes with the job) but the spelling on this forum is atrocious. Jexy, you are a prime offender!

As part of the recent upgrade a spell checker has been included.

Please restore my will to live and start using it!

Brian
There - I am so desperate I have even used one of those smiley things!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Wot ar yu triang tu sai?

Edit: Actually, this board is better than most. Many here do not speak English as a first language and minor errors are both understandable and also readable. I personally have not found excessive problems here with spelling. Except for my own posts after a few too many Labatts...
Sure.... there are some misspellings, but not to any degree that concerns me, and I'm usually pretty anal about that sort of thing!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

You're not wrong Brian, you are being a pedant

Seriously though you bring up a good point, use the spell checker please people, it will win you friends and impress people. Well Brian and I anyway.

Forge (Sorry Fergy, your name has been corrected!) also brings up a very good point and I know for a fact that their spelling is far, far better than my spelling in their native tongue.

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My problem more comes with which order to [press the buttons in rather than teh spolling.. I used to have all sorts of bits & bobs set up to correct my typing like making "teh" into "the" then I was stupid enough to marry someone that can type & she took them all off....

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
The spell check has a function called "learn" - Slotforum should now be an acceptable word.

I would suggest that in this early stage that there will be a number of words - predominantly names or people, cars and tracks that will need to be added to the spell checker.

Can this be done automatically by scanning through the database?

Otherwise being constantly reminded of errors will make people avoid using it.

j-c

Big star for me as NO errors in the above!!

G

·
naa........ I'm just carp at spelling!

More important thing is have the idea, not ramble on using the entire Oxford Dictionary!

Try this one 'cartrix' comes up as 'chartroom'

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe I'm a pedant too, but I do agree with Brian on this one.

My pet hates are the misuse of:
1) There, their and they're
2) Here and hear,
3) Two, to and too
and
4) Borders and boarders

And to agree with LMP04, "text speak" - why?

Oh no!

I'm beginning to sound like my old English teacher now, perhaps I ought to buy myself a nice cardigan and some beaded seat covers!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
So, given the above, will it annoy you if I ask if you, as a Pedant Too, are much better than the Pedant One?

·
Registered
166 Posts
If Brian is a pedant, you could call him "Pedant One"
If I am a pedant too, you may call me "Pedant Two"
If you too were a pedant, you wouldn't be "Pedant Two" too because that would be silly!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
So would it be really annoying if someone were to add misspelt words so that they were not picked up by the dictionary?

McLaren

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE So would it be really annoying if someone were to add misspelt words so that they were not picked up by the dictionary?

I like this train of thought ......

Please, enough with the pedantary - I come here to escape the missus and her moaning about that!!

(Smiley's are spelt wrong!!!)

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
The spelling here is nothing as to what I used to see when I was a wage clerk about 20 years ago. We used to receive all the sick "excuse" forms from all shops/departments etc, and one particular form still sticks out in my mind today. One of the shops was called The Beehive centre, and on this young ladies form she put "Beive"

Still, she knew what she meant. "Nuffink" wrong with that I suppose. Spell as you speak

M

·
John Roche
4,201 Posts
QUOTE If Brian is a pedant, you could call him "Pedant One"
If I am a pedant too, you may call me "Pedant Two"

Is a Pedant with a facial twitch Pedant-tic

John

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I think Brian must have a lot of spare time on his hands
How about making him `spelling moderator` he could underline in red and set us home work if we are naughty. Maybe not or else Inte will never have any time left to race

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.