SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Serendipitous?

Received two Flys (Flies?) yesterday: a DP and a classic Porsche 917. Took them out of the box, turned the rear wheels by hand and got the dreaded sticking after 1/3 of a turn. On both! Both pinions split!

But I must say that I have not experienced it that often. But the only brand on which I have found split pinions is Fly.

Replaced the inline DP pinion with a 5.5mm brass Slot.it pinion and the sidewinder 917 with a 6.5mm brass Slot.it: all is sweetness and light!

Unless I am mistaken, all FC130, FK130 and FK180 motors have 2mm shafts, all slim can FF050's have 1.5mm shafts. Also as per my above comments: be aware that inlines typically have 5.5mm OD pinions, sidewinders 6.5mm.

· Registered
483 Posts
QUOTE (doncatwalker @ 26 Jan 2012, 15:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's time to invest in a pinion puller. Recommendations for a decent value one would be appreciated. This will just be for occasional use, so I don't want to break the bank.
Don

I have a Ninco puller/press as well as a new Slot.it. While the Slot.it (at a dramatically higher price) is obviously a class act, I have found that the Ninco is perfectly adequate. It is a bare bones, no nonsense, rather utilitarian piece of equipment, but I personally believe it is good enough for almost all but the heaviest of users and represents good value at the low price. I was certainly quite happy with it for a couple of years until I wanted something "fancier". In fact I used it again just yesterday when I could not seat a pinion deep enough on the shaft using my Slot.it (the motor shaft "bottomed out" in the Slot.it press but the Ninco has no "stop" as such).

So while not as much a precision instrument as the Slot.it and needing more care in its use, given your stated requirements I believe it should serve you perfectly adequately.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.