SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Separate '1/43' Section in Mini Slots
The mini slot section is dominated by HO scale topics and its very hard to find the less popular 1/43 related topics. I would like to see a seperate section within mini slots for '1/43' scale stuff ie. Jouef, SCX Compact, Carrera Go, Artin, scratchbuilds etc. Do you think this is a good idea?
Yes3995.12%
No, I'll explain why below24.88%

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi all, I've started getting into 1/43 scale slots and would like to see a separate section as stated above, Doug has asked me to do a poll to see what others think about the idea of splitting mini slots into HO and 1/43. If you don't think its a good idea could you please add your comments to this thread, thank you.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I know you said to only add comments if you didn't agree but hey ho!

I think it is a great idea. There is such a world of difference between 1/43rd which is very much a smaller version of the 1/32nd style systems and HO.

Plus the crushing disappointment of seeing a new Mini Slots topic only to release it is about 1/43rd and not HO is just too much for me to take some days!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I voted no. What you are doing is trying to make you niche even more of a niche. Now you will get HO people, who might othwise look, by dint of the fact they already resonate with being in the minority, bypassing your sector of the hobby.

I never wanted for there to be a Minislots area, for the same reason.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,631 Posts
I voted "Yes", great idea. I am interested in 1:43 as it offers what attracts myself - good looks and decent non mag handling. Whereas HO doesn't attract me personally on any level.
1:24 and 1:32 are separated.

Leo

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 14 Oct 2011, 12:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Plus the crushing disappointment of seeing a new Mini Slots topic only to release it is about 1/43rd and not HO is just too much for me to take some days!

This is exactly the problem I'm having, just the other way around
to the point where I don't bother to look anymore on here and go to other forums that do have dedicated areas to 1/43 scale. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this so it would benefit SFI in general with increased traffic in theory if there was?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Has to be a yes from me, they have very little in common and while HO dominating suits me I do. A little bit of 1/43 at home and would find it really frustrating having to pick through irrelivant stuff were it my core interest.

May not help either scale, may help both I'm not sure.

What we really need is a selectable and saveable filter in 'Veiw new posts' so we don't have to trawl through all this big scale collectors stuff and those folk with converted digital train sets they pretend are racetracks

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
There was some talk about getting rid of VNP or tweaking how it works, thankfully it did not happen.

All I know is EAHORC's status, ability to reach people, and numbers coming through the door would be down if SF was even more structured than it already is. I'm a dunderhead, and if I can filter out topics that have no interest to me very, very quickly than anyone can.

Meanwhile there is no way to measure the harm done by everything being more and more regimented until it is too late. There was an item the other day, that under this kind of thinking would of been in some obscure section and missed by lots of people who saw it. Who knows what synapses are now a-popping for those that did see it.

This is all a real case of be careful what you wish for...

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 14 Oct 2011, 12:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm a dunderhead, and if I can filter out topics that have no interest to me very, very quickly than anyone can.

Hi Montoya, you are obviously opposed to the idea and appreciate your comments. Can you explain how one would filter out topics? unless they had HO in the title how can it be done?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I filter manually by reading the topic titles. A good example is the post on Minislots right now about Jouef. They guy who posts that is one of my very favourite SF users, so when I have the time I always check out anything he posts. Doing so has enriched my enjoyment of slot cars, and in the same way I have discovered things about digital and many of other things I would not if I missed things because this site was more regimented.

I guess a split is no big deal, I will still use VNP, but if 1/43rd being a niche of a niche harms it's popularity or exposure because of it, you would never know. Incidentally, there is a google search function:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...wforum%3D74#792

So there is that, and a split seems in favour so why not. Just don't mess with VNP.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I vote YES

When I want to see 1/32 posts, I simply go to 1/32 section
When I want to see 1/43 posts, I have to first go to minislot section then bypass / filter Ho to get only 1/43 subjects !

So absolutely YES

·
Kitbasher
4,300 Posts
I have no interest in HO.
I do have an increasing interest in 1:43, especially as more scratch build stuff is coming out with chassis from Ranch and Protoslot/PSK tech.

I am sorry if splitting it means fewer people will take an interest in HO, perhaps that is telling you something?

Whatever they are all slots so are all interesting, to a point.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
My point was that you can never tell where interest is going to come from. A nascent 1/43rd club could fold despite a bunch of HO racers living fairly nearby and unaware of each other, who knows.

As for:

...if splitting it means fewer people will take an interest in HO, perhaps that is telling you something?....

What would that, even if you could measure it, be telling me exactly?

I think that people wanting their own little areas is a shame, inevitable, and no big deal. I think a lot of people use VNP, so as long as the niche-lovers don't get that messed about with all should be well.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Definitely a YES. All the other forums that I frequent have very popular 1/43 sections that often attract new people to the scale. As 1/43 is now starting to get a following in the UK, it would definitely help it's growth if it is not hidden away in minislots.

I would suggest dropping the minislots section altogether, and having dedicated HO and 1/43 sections, then we can all go to the section that most suits our own interests.

Regards, Lloyd

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
The 1/43 guys seem desperate to go their own way and that's fine by me. It will make it less likely I'll look at their stuff - and I usually do have a peek.

When I was getting interested in HO, I was looking at other forums that had specific HO sections so 'Minislots' wasn't a place I spent much time in. Maybe a more defined HO section may attract more interest, not less.

If 1/43 becomes a separate section then Minislots should definitely be renamed HO. Having Micro Scalextric and other manufacturers in the subheading will be useful. Might even get a sponsor out of it.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I really like 1/43rd - potentially a scale that could kill off HO and 1/32nd. If some of it's users have the same anorak complex as some of the digi guys we see then that need not tarnish the scale as a whole.

I think the tipping point for 1/43rd would be Hornby getting into it. The conventional wisdom is that they would never do that, as it would simply drain people away from the more profitable 1/32nd lines in a way Micro does not. We will see.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have voted YES, just think that if someone new to this will find posts new and old alot quicker than trawling through everything else in the Minislots wide bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Its not before time, no offence to the 1/43 racers, it would definately be easier to find the various HO posts and posters, with HO and 1/43, trying to post articles often at the same time, it gets just a little busy!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The big upswing in posts about HO started after I joined, because of that up to a point. I remember when there was no minislots forum, and HO had to take it's chances in with the general population. It seems to have worked out OK!

It would be interesting to see if stats could be generated to show who uses VNP and who does not. If the vast majority do then their is less downside to splitting everything into smaller and smaller (pardon the pun) sections.

·
Registered
851 Posts
QUOTE Maybe a more defined HO section may attract more interest, not less.

This may well be the case. "Minislots" is vague and does a disservice to all the scales pushed into this little ghetto. 1/43 certainly gets lost amongst the overwhelmingly dominant HO posts. I have a huge soft spot for HO, I still remember my Stirling Moss Thunderjet racing set
. But my current interest is 1/43 which is not being well served here. I very rarely visit the Minislots forum here (I was sent a PM about this poll) . A forum shouldn't force users to do boolean search operations to find relevant posts on something as basic as scale

1 - 20 of 38 Posts