SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts

Latest news fresh from the Scalextric website :

Story Posted: 11/08/2004

Following a huge demand for information about Sport Digital, here is the first of a series of installments on this News page leading up to the launch in November.

We to build a complete picture of our new Sport Digital game where the racers can change lanes at a flick of a button and race 6 cars on the same lane!

SPORT DIGITAL COMPONENTS

• The SCALEXTRIC SPORT DIGITAL power base.

This unit is permanently connected to the Finish Line straight. The Finish line contains an optical sensor which accurately records when a car crosses the line. It contains all the electronics which provide power and control to the cars and lane change track pieces.

• The Digital Controllers.
The controller has two buttons and a trigger. The trigger increases power to the car whilst the large oval button is a brake and the small round button is the lane change activator.
These controllers should only be used with the Sport Digital and Sport World Scalextric products.
The hand controller can be set up so that braking can be activated by use of the brake button, the trigger or both. Braking can also be turned off (the default setting).

• Power Supply Transformers.
One transformer is supplied with the SCALEXTRIC SPORT DIGITAL power base. This will supply sufficient power to drive three cars. A second power supply (C7004), together with the first power supply, can be connected to socket P2 to supply enough power to drive four to six cars.

IMPORTANT
You must not place any standard power bases, Pacer or Challenger systems in a circuit that contains the Sport Digital power base. Even if the non-Sport Digital power bases have no power, they may still damage your Sport Digital system.

• Change lane
To change lane press and hold the small round button on the hand controller as you pass over the Lane Change Sensor.

• Stay in lane
To stay on the same lane, do NOT press the Lane Change button on the hand controller.

Tip: Crashed cars can be replaced in any slot.
Suggestion: Agree a racing rule of always replacing a car on the outside slot.

Tip: Immediately remove any stopped car from the track to avoid a race accident.

MORE UPDATES to follow including 7 race modes and descriptions of each item.

·
Registered
329 Posts
QUOTE (fouldsc @ 11 Aug 2004, 10:48)The hand controller can be set up so that braking can be activated by use of the brake button, the trigger or both. Braking can also be turned off (the default setting).
Hey there!

Excellent news IMHO, I really did not like the idea of braking on a seperate button.

Nice scoop Mr.F

Cheers,

Julian

·
Registered
300 Posts
The early worm catches the bird

I am also glad about the change of heart on the breaking button as well - pressing
that button would have been pants !

Has anyone held one of these controllers ? - how they fit in your hand compared
to Parma/Prof Motor ?

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
QUOTE (fouldsc @ 11 Aug 2004, 11:53)I am also glad about the change of heart on the breaking button as well - pressing
that button would have been pants !

Has anyone held one of these controllers ? - how they fit in your hand compared
to Parma/Prof Motor ?
Tried it at the toyfair and several times hit the brake button in an attempt to change lanes! Couldn't understand the logic of the large brake button compared to small LC. If the sequence can be changed so that braking is on the trigger, L/C on the large button and toot the horn with the small it would be better IMO.

Mr.M

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Haven't seen these new handsets - but it would seem obvious that increasing or applying brakes would be an oppositeaction to accelerating so using teh trigger for both these functions makes sense.

Most slot racers I watch (and as I crash early I DO tend to watch a lot!) seem to hld their controllers in two hands - one for the trigger and the other holding the top of the hand set.

Would it be an idea to have a dial or a switch in the hand set near the top front that could be moved in the direction of lane change - or if only two lanes then whenever it was "flicked" or "turned" then the car would change lanes.

Of course that leave the remaining button for hand brake turns !!
J-C

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I agree with Mr M. The cars do brake without pressing the brake button. Pressing the brake button gives you braking that stops the car on a six pence, unbeliebveable and very severe! The hand controls are ok to hold, comfortable and you obviously have to get used to the extra buttons but as I`ve said before you have more to think about and remember you only need to press when you want to create an action, otherwise the car will travel around as per the norm.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Woah!

Never come off again!

Feel the car start to go, and hit the brake button... sweet...

McLaren

PS. Second button should be to flash the lights, using Permalight® technology.

·
Registered
329 Posts
QUOTE (LSIntegra94 @ 13 Aug 2004, 05:10)"The trigger increases power to the car whilst the large oval button is a brake"

The slot car equivalent to left foot braking. Cool!

Hey there!

Not really as left foot braking allows you to keep the throttle on yes?

The button will cut the power instantly.

Cheers,

Julian.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (Hwise @ 14 Aug 2004, 23:55)So what is the amperage of the standard power supply? 3 amps?

Harry
The issue of the power is one that baffles me. I think that people are going to want to race with more than 3 cars right from the start. This effectively limits the car capacity of the sets to 3. How many Christmas set owners are going to go out and upgrade their power supply?

I wonder if this is a decision aimed at preventing carnage at Arnage?

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
I'm not sure if the standard wall wart for SD is 30 VA - divide by 16-18 V and you get the amps
For 3 standard cars it should be OK, provided it's reasonably stable - and then they say you have to put another one in parallel if you want to race 6 cars - that would be better because statistically the peaks would even out more

Yes, one question is the max current the decoder can take - i.e. up to which aftermarket motor you can upgrade

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not so sure about the power speculation becouse we haven't got enough information of SSD's principle. Motors may be controlled by PWM and then power calculations are quite different than simple kirchoffs UxI. Anyway suplied power is pulsed digital signal for cars. So if we are not familiar with the system then it is impossible to estimate those powerthings.

One thing is sure:

They can't use too small power supply if they are going to get those products approved for market. Then we will just see how can rectified or PWM current drive those six cars.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
MTK,

Julius/lordjw may have the final word on this - my consideration is that what (power) goes out to the cars, plus intermediate losses, must come in from the wall socket

So there will be some power consumption in the base unit, and probably a 1 volt drop in the decoder rectifiers - but at full throttle 25-30 VA is pretty much what 3 cars are going to get collectively

Incidentally, this would seem to match closely the Davic PSU (10 A for 14 cars)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes,

Julius may have something to add to this subject. Here is some of my thoughts:

Allways it is safe to assume that every system consumes energy. Every system also can't give same energy out what it takes so there is allways power transfer ratio which is usually defined as coefficient of efficiency.

But what i ment is that it is more difficult to estimate consumption of each car in system becouse isn't DC. How much energy is transmitted into track depends of frequency of the signal and couple of other things. But as said it will be easier to think energy rather than current and voltage when digital systems arrives. It might be so that SSD's effiency will be something else than traditional slotcar system's. Worse or better? Hard to say before seeing and reviewing specs and facts. But i assume that developer of this system has thought those things since they has to know what they are doing. That 3 cars/PSU sounds reasonable.

This is very familiar matter to people who have been involved with switching power sources and differend kind of audio poweramplifiers. (switching, A, B and AB classes etc..)

However. We will see what it will be! (hopefully during this year). At least classical power discussion on boards will change a bit

btw, you guys have nice forum here! Lots of interesting articles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts