Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'll print the review off and show it to the Scalextric boys tomorrow when I turn up to see if there is anything else they would want to add but that is a superb job Nuro. Also your review to hand will help me with my questions about SPORT World.

No doubt they will have a copy of your review already printed off and handy anyway to help them answer my questions!!!

It does sound pretty amazing. The one thing I will check out is the PC specification requirements as I will be very surprised if the minimum spec is the same as for RMS.

Moped

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great work Nuro.
I was impressed with the whole system with the only possibly drawback for me perhaps too many racing options!.. Better than not enough though.

CB

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The system is developed in Macromedia Shockwave. You already have some components on you PC for viewing Shockwave and it is inherently light so that applications can be shared on the web. I don't thing you're going to have to change you PC to use this Sportsworld system.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Not so sure? Matt was there at same time and I got impression from talking to him leter on that he heard it as I did? Maybe Mope can clarify tomorrow?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice to hear about all of the improvements over RMS, with the exception of Internet racing it was what I was hoping RMS was going to be in the first place. The car cataloging, tuning, and storing of lap times is great. Do you know if it is possible to import pics and catalog other manufacturer’s cars in World?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's pretty awesome stuff. I beleive existing people in the hobby will be more suited to ths system than the 'crash and bash' of digital.
The biggest issues for me would be the compatability of this system to other brand cars.
I think it's fine for scalextric to fill the 'possible' inventory with lists of their own cars but there should be the facility via the sportsworld website to download the fly or ninco or scx car that we also own.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
PIV needed but it could be run on a lower spec machine. However main requirement is a decent graphics card in order to render the images in 3-D. The graphic card spec that comes with most PIV PCs is good enough but below that the cards might not be. In such case you'll be able to have 2-D rendered graphics. Will only be needed when wanting to wathc the race on your PC.

You don't have to have the PC next to the track (unless you want to use it interactively via the internet or when racing) as the unit can be plugged in to your PC then removed and plugged in to your track where it remembers all the settings you enabled.

Matt

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With SW, you can turn off the 3D view and have a simplified 2D view for low power machines. You can also select to only view the cars and the track and leave the scenery out to speed things up.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Amidst all the euphoria, I am wondering just WHO is going to buy this?
What is the target market?
It seems to me that Sport World renders the physical cars and track to the level of, nuisance value, not worth the bother, and one might as well go the whole hog and make the whole thing virtual.
Much less effort and much cheaper!
Someone has to say these things!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm really pleased about what I've read so far about SportWorld. To be honest I wasn't expecting much out of it, other than internet reacing, which I'm not to interested in. But now - I'm getting pretty exited about it.

I wonder - Will we have to use the digital controller, or will we be able to use one of the current aftermarket controllers such as a PM? Also, I'm curious to see if there are any issues with custom track wiring / power supplies.

I agree with Tropi's above post. The 3d rendering, at least to me, doesn't hold much value. But the track time, telemetry, car cataloging (hopefully some way to add other manufacturers - ala RMS) challenger style system (but with any car) just sound like slot car geek heaven to me.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 1 Feb 2004, 06:22 PM)... one might as well go the whole hog and make the whole thing virtual...
Didn't Lego try this... to their own demise. Back to basics now, back to the real world of bricks.

Well anyway Tropi, enjoy a bit of virtual Slotracing:

...gone now, but it was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
well - track timing to 1/1000th second as well, more reliable lap sensor..

designing ur permanent layout, with hills, buildings etc before getting out the jigsaw and papier mache...

there is so much stuff in there, every1 will want it, price permitting

1 - 20 of 56 Posts