SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,
Here is a bit of fun for you;

When I was a kid I used to have the James Bond set with a black Mercedes that sprung off the track when hit on the bumper from behind.
This gave me an idea...could I make a modern car do the same sort of thing. The underpan of the Corvette looked like a likely candidate for alteration, so I had a go... and this is the result....

It works very well so far, and the kids love it. With the magnet it doesn't leap off, but it is disabled, as the wheels are lifted off the track.

Thanks to the chaps who helped me post these pictures.

If anyone is interested in more details let me know.
Cheers

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Great bit of work ......... I certainly am interested to know a bit more about how you did it. Any more pictures of the mod??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chaps,

I will do some more pics tommorrow to show it better, but basically, the spring is made from 1mm piano wire turned into the shape you can see.
A 3mm carbon fibre rod was inserted through the floorpan and glued to hold it in place, the wire is insulated with heatshrink.

The more difficult end is the release bit. It is a 2.5mm brass rod in a brass tube with a button on the end. If you look closely you can see there is a vertical slot cut through the side to allow the spring to get past.
Also, if you look along the tube a bit further there it is a pin running in a slot to stop the solid rod turning.

You set it by pushing the black button in (opening the vertical slot) then push the spring in past the tube, then pull out the button, then let go of the spring. When a following car hits it it pushes the button in and releases the spring, if you catch it on a bend it is quite good, and usually flips off. The chase cars I have tried are a James Bond Aston Martin and a GT40.

I will try it without the mag, and see if I can do a video.

Do I save it in Photobucket the same?

Thanks for looking !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Chaps,
I have modified the first version to get more height.

I have added some more pics.....

And If you copy and paste this link into the browser you should be able to watch the rather fuzzy videos below...

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p527/slotmartin/

This is with the magnet in place, if you take out the mag it goes even better

If Scaley are looking how about a super resistant pair of cars maybee drift as well ?

Remember where you saw the idea !!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dj,

I have used a DB5 and a GT 40 so far, sorry if it hurts!.... there isnt much damage.

I am new to this video posting lark, could you make out the rather fuzzy video?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is the one with the opening roof etc.

I think it actually lessens the impact, as some of the energy goes into pushing the button in and softens the blow.

I will add a bit of blue tack to the bumper to make it less likely to crack. I have two VERY enthusiastic kids (7 and 4) so the Aston has become Finn McMissile and the Chev is a "Fast Lemon" If you know Cars 2 you will know what I mean.

I am glad the link to the vid worked, I know the quality is very poor. Next time I feel a Speilberg moment coming, on I will use a better camera !

·
David J
3,182 Posts
QUOTE (slotmartin @ 23 Feb 2012, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is the one with the opening roof etc.
Yeah, that's the one, the one that you can't get anymore and is now commanding £100+ on Ebay..... Oh well, enjoy it...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

We are having good fun with the DB 5, what a great car, the kids love the various gizmos, I have added a Digital chip too.

It is a great shame that they dont just make more !

I cant really see why they dont ? Scalextric cant benefit from the high Ebay collectors prices, can they?

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Not directly but I guess indirectly the inflated prices that come later help Scalextric by encouraging customers to buy "Limited Editions" as soon as they are released, thus selling out their production run?
What really annoys me are the one or two Scalextric retailers who appear to hold back some of their limited edition stock until the price becomes inflated and then sell them at twice the RRP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts