SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I have been in this hobby for little over a year and I have learned a lot of valuable information from this forum. I honestly can't believe the amount of talented people there are on this forum. It has taken me some time to get the nerve to post this on the forums so I will try to keep this as short as possible and try not to bore everyone. Here is a little bit of background about Spring Valley International Raceway and pictures of my work in slow progression.

Earlier this year I decided to email Brad Korando and ask him how he made his pit building and to let him know that his work is out of this world and his style is the look I am wanting for my layout. After talking with Brad I realized that I only lived about 3 ½ hours drive from his house. So back in the first part of June this year, a friend of mine and I took a short drive and went to visit Brad and see his master piece in person. Wow…..his layout and level of detail is just incredible and seeing it in person was a real treat. I asked Brad if he would want to sell his pit building and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Brad said he was really looking to make an older style pit building and that he would sell it. I got one HECK of a deal and now the very proud owner of his pit building.

My current layout is 6 feet by 14 feet, 4 feet shorter than it started out, that is another story. I went with the name Spring Valley because the town of Springfield where I live was originally called Spring Valley before the city was formed. I also wanted it to be an International track, so that way I can host almost every type of car racing on my track layout. As you can see below my current layout is flat on the table. Once I get the nerve to start working on the sub-base of the scenery, it will not be as flat. I plan on having the track cross over on one end so I can add a bridge and to give the layout some contrast as well as more functional competition when racing.

In the picture below you can see the first model I attempted after acquiring Brad's Pit Building. I wanted to use the same design technique that Brad did on the Pit Building to make the Start Finish Tower. I also wanted to cover up the powerbase to my track and here is the design that I came up with. I still need to add some small signs, posters and door knobs but all in all it is finished.

I really want my layout to look like a family/public type race park, so I needed places for the spectators to sit and enjoy the race. Brad's grandstand design is exactly what I needed, so I took his design and copied his grandstands and made an additional 6 grandstands. 2 on each side of the start finish tower and 1 on each corner of the big outside curve before the home stretch. I am currently designing foundations for the grandstands to sit on and to elevate them off the ground to allow the spectators to see the track easier.

I also wanted safety fencing like you would see at a normal race park. I have a bunch of HO scale train track so I used the rails for the fence uprights and normal screen wire for the fencing, drilled holes in the end bent part of the uprights to allow cables (picture hanging wire) to run thru the top part of the fence. I like the way the fence turned out. However, it looks like barbed wire instead of cables on the top, so I plan on changing this someday down the road to look more like a realistic safety fence and use a small gauge chicken wire instead of screen, similar in design to someone else here on the forums, can't remember the persons name, sorry. I also plan on replacing all the plastic Ninco fence with hand made fencing as well.

I have a long way to go to finish. I have several models to design and build; more realistic looking trees, restroom out-buildings, concession stands, 2 TV towers, multi-national flags, flag stringers, lighting and signage to add to the grandstands and a ton of figurines to add in the future. Slowly but surely I am getting there with the help of you guys and this forum. Sorry for my pictures not being the best, a photographer I am not. I hope that the pictures show up for everyone.

Now, after this long post I would like to thank everyone on this forum for giving their technical advice and sharing your detailed techniques, which have given me the knowledge to accomplish what I have done so far with my layout. And most of all, "Thank You Brad" for being my inspiration and mentor. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks Again,

Brian

"I don't know about you guys, but this Hobby has made me feel like a kid again, I am having such a blast! I just hope I can finish this project before I kick the bucket, hehe!"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Brian & welcome to the forum!

I can't see your pics, I think there is something you have to do on photobox to make them viewable without logging in to photobox? Not all of us have accounts!

Aaron

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Fantastic work on the grandstands and start finish tower Brian. The safety fence is really nice too. Having the grandstands across from the pit building creates the same sort of "feel" as Rob's track; which I think is brilliant! I'm looking forward to seeing the addition of the scenery and the filling of the grandstands with spectators.

You're off to a terrific start and I couldn't be more happy with the pit building's new home! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the track in person.

Brad

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
It certainly looks like you're off to a great start Brian. Brad's pit building is one of my all-time favourites, and your tower and grandstands look to be of an equally high standard. Lovely work, already looking forward to seeing more

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Beautiful Start.............looks like you have a natural talent and a good eye. Maybe some of Brads talent rubbed off on you during your visit

Take your time though or you'll make us pokey guys Look Bad

Looking forward to seeing your progress!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Really stunning work, Sharkkster/Brian!! And what a nice way to hide the PB. Those buildings sure create a good realistic 'feel' to it .. now you only need ten-thousand-peoploids to park in the grandstands ..

.. and btw. some color or asphalt/greens could enhance the looks below the front grandstand. And you could also have some shady business going on down under there, unlegal betting or such. S/F straight might look a tad bit narrow .. but otherwise brilliant stuff!

.. cheers ..

-- ron --

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for all the kind replies everyone. I really appreciate the feed back. ChateauRaceway, very very nice fence, I wish I would have seen your design before I attempted mine. I think I am going to change mine to the same style you have yours and the primer is a good idea to cut down on the bright sheen of the fencing. The wire looks more like cable at this scale, cause the cable I used kind of looks like barbed wire.

Well I have almost completed one of the foundations for the grandstands last night. I am in the process of adding stairways. After these foundations are built I plan on working on the ground areas around the Start Finish tower.

I may have to brib Brad to come to my house and help me get started on the scenery sub-base, I am a little nervous to start on this part.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (ronMcRain @ 27 Jul 2007, 10:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really stunning work, Sharkkster/Brian!! And what a nice way to hide the PB. Those buildings sure create a good realistic 'feel' to it .. now you only need ten-thousand-peoploids to park in the grandstands ..

.. and btw. some color or asphalt/greens could enhance the looks below the front grandstand. And you could also have some shady business going on down under there, unlegal betting or such. S/F straight might look a tad bit narrow .. but otherwise brilliant stuff!

.. cheers ..

-- ron --
Thanks so much for the reply. Oh yes I do plan on adding as much greenery and greenery details as I can and I plan on having landscaping around the pit building and the S/F tower.

Brian

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Brad Korando @ 26 Jul 2007, 17:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fantastic work on the grandstands and start finish tower Brian. The safety fence is really nice too. Having the grandstands across from the pit building creates the same sort of "feel" as Rob's track; which I think is brilliant! I'm looking forward to seeing the addition of the scenery and the filling of the grandstands with spectators.

You're off to a terrific start and I couldn't be more happy with the pit building's new home! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the track in person.

Brad

Thanks a bunch Brad and I can't wait for you to visit. I may need your help starting on my sub-base scenery.

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
This is your first attempt at a permanent track

I've got to it's a real doozy.
Can't wait to see the finished item

Some elevations will realy bring this track to life.
I love the whole pit / start tower / grandstands (thought you guys called them bleachers
) area. Even though the pit building was built by Brad,
(and it's a great one) it looks right at home on your track. I think that is testimony to your own building abilities, that the one's you have created, match so well with that of Brad's

Stay off work, don't sleep for a month, and only have breaks to eat go for a p... well you know what, and get that track finished

This is one I am really looking forward to being completed

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Tileguy @ 26 Jul 2007, 22:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Beautiful Start.............looks like you have a natural talent and a good eye. Maybe some of Brads talent rubbed off on you during your visit

Take your time though or you'll make us pokey guys Look Bad

Looking forward to seeing your progress!!!

Thank You very much Tileguy. From what I can tell you are pretty much one of the scenery guru's here on the forums. I feel honored now, especially with a good reply from you. I hope to put some more pictures on here soon of the foundations that I am building.

Thanks again everyone for your kind responses.

Brian

·
Registered
468 Posts
Let me add my voice to the mix and say "very nice work" Brian! I can't wait to see further installments as your work and design ideas progress. I'm particularly intrigued with what you might have in mind for elevation work-I will watch that with keen interest. Again, very nice modeling-meets up well with the item coming from Brad's skilled hands. A tough act to follow-and you have pulled it off with aplomb. Again, nice touches all around-really great work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (SpaModeller @ 29 Jul 2007, 19:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Let me add my voice to the mix and say "very nice work" Brian! I can't wait to see further installments as your work and design ideas progress. I'm particularly intrigued with what you might have in mind for elevation work-I will watch that with keen interest. Again, very nice modeling-meets up well with the item coming from Brad's skilled hands. A tough act to follow-and you have pulled it off with aplomb. Again, nice touches all around-really great work.

Thank you Spa, much appreciated. I have the foundations that go on each side of the S/F tower somewhat finished for the Bleachers/Grandstands. I am thinking about adding some hand railings, but that should be it.

...and as you can see, the foundations hang over the edge of my table. So I am going to have to modify the edge of my table to allow me some more scenery room. The 2 corner foundations will be for a single bleacher/grandstand and will be similar in design as the double above.

I am now pondering what to use for the ground area around and under the foundations and S/F tower. I don't want to use an asphalt look, like what is under the pit building. So I am thinking of something along the lines of cement/stone/pebble type ground cover. Anyone have any good ideas?

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Outstanding work Brian! The foundations look really good and look very prototypical to boot! These latest picutres better show off the quality of your work on the grandstands too - very nice. You need to move a few hours closer so we can worek on each others tracks!

Brad

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.