SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for clarification please.

I have an APB C7042 with SCS wireless, Truespeed SSD IV controllers and Scorpius controllers with USB Dongle connected to PC and we use RCS64 for competition race nights.

I also have a Scorpius WAM that I use at my local routed Analoge club track.

A number of club racers are now racing regularly on my SSD track and they own Slot.it SCP2 controllers.

As I understand it a SCP2 controller can be used wirelessly on an Analogue track by plugging a CRI unit into an Analogue cartridge that is plugged into the track and using an Oxigen cartridge in the handle of the controller, is this correct?

Can this SCP2 setup also be used wirelessly on my SSD track and if so do I need a Slot.it Dongle to plug into the PC and if this is possible can the existing Truespeed and Scorpius controllers be used in the same race as the SCP2's?

Of course I would pose the same question for the new SCP3 controllers due out shortly.

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
Your understanding is correct, however the slot.it controller was not designed to send control data to the dongle like the Scorpius one does. As such, there is currently no way to connect an SCP (1/2/3) to a PC in order to control cars. What is needed for the SCP to work with SSD wirelessly is the same as it needs to work wirelessly for analog, except in place of the analog cart in the CRI, there would be an appropriately configured digital cart.

The idea of having it work like the Scorpius does has been suggested to slot.it in the past, and it's something they may consider doing, but that change would require all new firmware for controller and dongle, and the demand for it is low enough that it's not high on their list, especially with the ARC Pro being directly compatible with the SCP3 (and SCP2 with correct firmware).

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr Flippant.

So the guys can achieve their 1st goal of racing wirelessly on Analogue with their existing SCP2 controllers 👍.

Now to achieve their 2nd goal of using their SCP2's wirelessly on my C7042 SSD track.

It appears it is possible to plug an existing Slot.it SSD digital cartridge into the APB (i.e. like the one in the SCP201dz1 digital SCP2) then plug the CRI into this cartridge and use the SCP2 with an Oxigen cartridge to achieve this 2nd goal. When the SCP3 arrives the Oxigen cartridge won't be needed as it has it own wireless cartridge.

If the above is possible how is the SCP2 powered? I assume the SCP3 has it's own battery setup.

Sorry to be dragging this out but there are a few guys that want to invest pretty heavily into digital based on my setup (I.e. wireless full simulation racing) and I am trying to given them all their options and I don't want to lead them astray.

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
You would need to provide power to the SCP2 or 3. The 3 is designed for a battery pack in the handle, and the 2 can be easily modified to hold a battery pack. I've done it to my 3 oXigen carts and SCP1/2 controllers.

If the guys are wanting to "invest" though, I might suggest having them install oXigen chips, especially the Type C one, so that their cars can be run either as SSD, or oXigen. Your track is already compatible. All you need to do is put a few magnets under the track and pit lane. You wouldn't even HAVE to make everyonbe buy SCP controllers, as an ARC Pro controller can be used with oXigen cars. But, if they already have SCP controllers, all they'd really need is the oXigen cart and a battery mod. Someone would have to buy a dongle in order for lap counting to work, or they could all pitch in for one. This would obviate the need for the SCP Digital cart and the CRI, though they might still want the CRI for analog wireless-ness. Still, a Type C chip is less costly than a Universal Digital cart.

Anyway, there are options, including the one you've laid out.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I am wondering if this actually works : SCP2 or SCP3 to CRI with a digital cartridge in it,connected to a C7042 ?

I think I read somewhere that there was a new firmware for the cartridge, and for the CRI.

I do have two CRI's and cartridge's but when i tested the cartridgesout, years ago, i burnt a port on a 7042, n d i wa unable to calibrate the cartridge, for use with RCS64, so i put them in a drawer somewhere.

It could be a great way to upgrade controllers on C7042

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes. This has been possible ever since the CRI was released.

In your opinion what is the best wireless solution for Scalextric Digital using the 6 car APB?

Also what system would you consider best for increasing the users if possible such as 3-4 ghost cars with 6 + racers?

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
In your opinion what is the best wireless solution for Scalextric Digital using the 6 car APB?

Also what system would you consider best for increasing the users if possible such as 3-4 ghost cars with 6 + racers?
My PERSONAL OPINION is that the TruSpeed is the best solution for APB users. It's more affordable, per person (when buying more than one or two), than other solutions, and it has great ergonomics (again, subjective opinion). It has the basics needed, plus the sensitivity knob to add a little extra adjustability. The main problem right now is getting one, as production for both controller and receiver are more or less on pause. If we're lucky, a way to make the ARC Air/Pro controllers work with the APB, in some way, will come along soon.

There's no way to exceed 6 drivers, regardless of ghost cars, without moving to a different system, and IMHO (again), it's an easy transition from SSD to slot.it oXigen, so that would be my personal recommendation for that.

In spite of the advancements of ghost cars over the years, I've yet to experience one that is in any way capable of matching a skilled human slot car driver. As such, I consider them all to be traffic, or "jam cars" more than anything else. Those are great when racing alone, or maybe with just one or two other people, but pointless and annoying when you have 6 drivers, or more. I pretty much only ever mess with such things for testing and educational purposes. In any case, the jam cars are less about the controllers humans use, and about the race management system (RMS) in use. For that, I'd have to tip the hat to RSC64. If you spend the time to tune a car as a ghost in RCS64, it can at least be less of an obstruction and more like a back marker. If you want it to be more than a jam car, it needs to be more capable than the car you're driving, such as by using magnet traction LMP cars with sticky tires be the ghosts, while you drive a non-magnet car.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more personal opinions on things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts