SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Saloon Chip Rev. E and was wondering if the motor limit is still 20,000 rpm? or to be safe 18,000??

Also i bought a couple used cars and they guys said they have 21000 motors in them but I can not verify by looking at them. Is there a way to verify? Will i blow up a chip if I chip them? They are scalextric 1969 camaros.

Thanks!!

So much to learn lol...

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
20,000rpm is considered to be safe when used with magnets..

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
The MRSlotcar.CA Mazda 787B has a 21k motor and the designer, Ernie Mosetti, has chipped them with Scalextric in-car chips with no problems. This is with magnets.

It's not about RPM, it's about the current the motor draws. A poorly maintained 18k motor with extra magnet will probably pull more current than a free-revving 23k motor with no magnets to create drag/rolling resistance. There are undoubtedly differences between different manufacturers' motors at any given RPM. Voltage will also make a difference.

What I am saying is there is no easy answer to this question as there is no easy way to determine the current any particular motor will draw on any particular setup under the heaviest load that circuit can offer.

We can be sure that a 30k motor is likely to fry chips but where the EXACT line is -is very hard to determine. Electronic components also have manufacturing tolerances - often as high as 5% either way so a motor that is on the edge might blow one chip but be perfectly OK with another.

I came across a thread on SlotForum the other day (sorry - can't easily find it again) that shows a fairly straightforward component upgrade on the in-car chip to increase its tolerance to current surges (capacitor upgrade I think).

I would be inclined to try the chip - but I would personally be prepared to sacrifice it/write it off in my mind. If you can do that then give it a go. Make sure the motors are running freely (tiny amount of lube if needed) and also lube the gears. The easier it is for the running gear to turn the less peak current it will draw and for less time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The chips can be upgraded I am pretty sure the link below will take you to the thread. Easier (and cheaper) solution is the Slot.It Chip which will handle almost anything!
To reiterate the point in the previous thread I run Scaleauto Yellow Cans (25k @ 12v) in Proslot Porsches with Slot.it gears and no magnets for hours at a time and have had no issues/blown chips.
Second link will take you to a useful link detailing motor specs

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=17259&st=0

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=17259&st=0

Cheers
brembo

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Iceman,
You can measure the amount of current drawn by the motor is you have access to a PB-Pro. There is an option in the Advanced menu that shows you what current is used. Simply blast around and see what comes up. Then place the car behind an immovable object and hit the throttle briefly, again you should see the max current drawn by the motor.

IRC, a Scalextric chip should be OK for at least 1.5Amps; I do not know what the figure for brief overshoots is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts