SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (Xlot @ 18 Dec 2004, 12:49)I'd wait for Søren's advice, but AFAIK the controller is purely resistive, so it shouldn't matterWell, your advice is as good as mine.

My digital sets haven't arrived yet, so I really can't help you with the colour coding.

I think the advice with an ohmmeter was very good though.

Søren

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Xlot @ 18 Dec 2004, 12:49)I'd wait for Søren's advice, but AFAIK the controller is purely resistive, so it shouldn't matter

If I may inquire, how did it happen (the dog again) ?

Beppe
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it was the dog getting caught in the lead but not again. Its the same controller. I have one working controller (and one working car!)

I don't want to blow up my power base by wiring up the controller wrong. I don't have a multimeter.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 18 Dec 2004, 20:03)I don't want to blow up my power base by wiring up the controller wrong. I don't have a multimeter.Don't worry ... there's no way you can damage your base by switching the wires. Just try different combinations until it works.

There's no active electronics inside the controller ... just passive resistance, and a short circuit won't harm your base station.

Søren

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (SWoRd @ 18 Dec 2004, 20:23)QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 18 Dec 2004, 20:03)I don't want to blow up my power base by wiring up the controller wrong. I don't have a multimeter.Don't worry ... there's no way you can damage your base by switching the wires. Just try different combinations until it works.

There's no active electronics inside the controller ... just passive resistance, and a short circuit won't harm your base station.

Søren
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Søren. I will give it a go.

BTW why are they still using variable resistors? Is this just the simplest way to measure how far in the throttle is? I don't really understand the relationship between resistor rating an car response now that the controller is sending a digital value (interpreted from the throttle position)???

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 19 Dec 2004, 08:20)BTW why are they still using variable resistors? Is this just the simplest way to measure how far in the throttle is?Yes

QUOTE I don't really understand the relationship between resistor rating an car response now that the controller is sending a digital value (interpreted from the throttle position)???There's no relationship ... the current through the controller is very small ... it doesn't get warm anymore.

The logical place to adjust controller response, would be in the base station software ... that's what we're planning to do in our home designed alternative to the comercial solutions.
In software you can make any response curve shape you want ... you're not limited to adjusting only an offset point ... and why waste hardware on such a feature.

Søren

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (SWoRd @ 19 Dec 2004, 10:24)QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 19 Dec 2004, 08:20)BTW why are they still using variable resistors? Is this just the simplest way to measure how far in the throttle is?Yes

QUOTE I don't really understand the relationship between resistor rating an car response now that the controller is sending a digital value (interpreted from the throttle position)???There's no relationship ... the current through the controller is very small ... it doesn't get warm anymore.

The logical place to adjust controller response, would be in the base station software ... that's what we're planning to do in our home designed alternative to the comercial solutions.
In software you can make any response curve shape you want ... you're not limited to adjusting only an offset point ... and why waste hardware on such a feature.

Søren
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I'm not mad then, just confused by another poster who talked of swapping the resistor!

Good decision on alowing adjustment of throttle response in software. Presumably Scalextric could also enable this?

FYI, the red wire goes to the centre and the white to the outer (I forget the electrical terms).

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 20 Dec 2004, 03:04)So I'm not mad then, just confused by another poster who talked of swapping the resistor!All though it's possible, it does involve some soldering, and the resistor is not available in every store ... perhaps it's custom made?.

You could in theory put a resistance (RS) for the minimum throttle position in series with the trigger potmeter (RP=4300ohm), and then add a large parallel resistance (RP) to make the total resistance 4300ohm:
RS + 4300RP/(4300+RP) = 4300

... solving for RP we get:
RP = 18489999/RS - 1

For example: if you put 1000 ohm in series, you should put 18489 ohm in parallel (or in practical terms 18 Kohm).Beware though, that this will alter the linear throttle response.

QUOTE Good decision on alowing adjustment of throttle response in software.That's good to hear.

QUOTE Presumably Scalextric could also enable this?Yes they could.

QUOTE FYI, the red wire goes to the centre and the white to the outer (I forget the electrical terms).Excellent, and if you swap the wires, it should also work.

Søren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts