SlotForum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 29 Dec 2004, 12:00)darainbow - the system may detect when more current is demanded than available, and uses this to trigger a warning and system shut down
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

possibly. ..

I like Xlots suggestion of seeing if a seccond track can be used for programming.

If all these people own SSD, then why havent the hard questions been answered yet? Someone needs to try programming with a separate base unit. Surely someone has bought 2 sets for the extra cars and has an extra base unit...

Also, why are the LCs a power drain? I dont think they are witth Pro-X but then I went to the big supply as soon as I upgraded and have many power taps. If LCs have current requirements, then aftermarket power will be ESSENTIAL for longer layouts with many LCs. I figured LC current draw was negligible.

· Beppe Giannini
1,698 Posts
http://virtualend.net/v-web/gallery/Scalex...4_1017_165125AA

I haven't bothered to open up one of my LCs, but my understanding is that every time a car passes (regardless of whether it changes lane or not) either one of the two electromagnets is fired by a current impulse coming from the sensor circuitry - there's a capacitor bank for this purpose

So, current drain may be significant - what's annoying is that power for this exercise comes from the base station/control unit and thus detracts from available power to cars - it doesn't have to be this way, but the alternative is running separate feed cable to each LC

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Xlot!
Very interesting suggestion! You must be a mind reader as I actually bought a complete kit AND a conversion kit so for a day there I did own 2 base units, but one was given away : (

Excellent observation about the LC sensor circuitry not needing precious coded DCC feed at all !! This has been on my mind also -- could there be such a thing as analog racing with 2 cars using LCs???.

Powering the LCs separately is a great alternative... - but I reitterate, lets' wait until this is confirmed by a real expert (damn I thought you were one!).

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
QUOTE (scalextricracer @ 30 Dec 2004, 23:22)Hi All

Has anyone tried to chip the challenger car
, i have had a look and there is plenty of room for the chip, just not sure if it would work or not.

ScalextricRacer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO, BUT I LIKE THE WAY YOU'RE THINKIN! .. drummer

· Kev
2,843 Posts
Great how to, Drummer.

This will certainly give more flexibility when designing circuits. I did see the half straight sensor track as being very restrictive in this respect. Excellent fix.

I know this is an old thread and i am joining the party late, but no one answered Rene's question:
QUOTE In the picture there are to corner tracks before the LC. Is it not possible to put the sensor in the last straight track or is there a timelimit for the car to get to LC?and i would like to know please. It will probably be obvious once my digi stuff arrives, but i thought i would ask.

· Tel
4,395 Posts
There are 2 issues that spring to mind with moving the sensor piece further away:

1. you will need to run wires up from the sensor to the lane change piece, as they are connected by a jack plug normally.

2. Having the sensor a way before the change means you could ask for a change, but before you get to the change track, a car behind you would reset it if he didn't want to change, or likewise he could change it as you approach, not so good if you wanted to stay in lane

· Registered
326 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.